Boy Scouts of America keeps gay ban

"Could" implies a hypothetical situation. You said they could have the same disclaimer. Given the fact that they obviously don't, the only point you could have is that they should. Are you implying that someone should make them?

No. I don't know where you got that implication from. I said that the same COULD be said about it. They don't need it to be official.

Also, I don't know much about the BSA and how they operate, but to qualify as a private club, they cannot have any accommodations available to the public such as swimming pools that they disallow to certain peoples. This is the law in most states and I agree with it. If they are truly private and everything they have is only available to members, then they can discriminate all they want. However, they should expect and not be surprised by the backlash.

I think it's sad that the BSA has to be so discriminating... First it was black kids (discreetly, not overtly... There are more nowadays, but only in the last 20 yrs or so), then it was the atheists and agnostics, now it's the Gays.... Who's next? Honestly, someone should start an all-inclusive scouting program.... Gay teens are devastated on a daily basis by being excluded from a large part of society... They need to be able to be accepted and appreciated SOMEWHERE, else we will continue to see more and more suicides in the teen LGBT community.... And I don't care if you have a religious discrimination against gays... A life is a life, and if INCLUDING them is something you could have done to save even ONE of their lives... Shame on the BSA for what they've done. Honestly, what do they think? The BSA will turn into one big gay orgy if they lift the ban? Give me a break......

• 3 weeks later...

As a young person sure, I could imagine many feelings going through my head being excluded. As a young person, however, I wouldn't understand the politics in the matter either. If this was my child, I would tell him that not everyone believes the same things and sometimes people are ignorant. But it's for them to find the truth, not for us to force it on them.

What politics people like you are making me think america is the LEAST free nation on earth you have 'freedom' to exclude that ISNT a right anywhere else i know of in the democratic world what an oppressed non enlightend I must live in where everyone accepts/has to accept everyone else however different.

So clubs should be allowed to not to allow black people in?

This would be my point

That's why it's known as "Boy Scouts of America" and not "Boy Scouts of insert any other nation type that allows it."

It was formed in the UK. America is not expectional within nations its one of many it needs to accept it has faults.

• Like 1

It was formed in the UK. America is not expectional within nations its one of many it needs to accept it has faults.

Faults based on your opinion? Look, America isn't perfect, but what it does have is the right to organize private businesses and this is one of them. If a person doesn't like it, they can create their own public or private organization.

Faults based on your opinion?

Faults based upon accepted norms in decent societies. Such behaviour is illegal in most western countries; in the UK that there are no restrictions against gay members or staff and even girls are allowed to join. So yeah, the BSA comes across looking like a homophobic, misogynistic, political cult. One again Americans have subverted a movement that was noble and aspirational and turned it into a bane upon society.

Faults based upon accepted norms in decent societies. Such behaviour is illegal in most western countries; in the UK that there are no restrictions against gay members or staff and even girls are allowed to join. So yeah, the BSA comes across looking like a homophobic, misogynistic, political cult. One again Americans have subverted a movement that was noble and aspirational and turned it into a bane upon society.

And who decides what faults are and what are accepted? From what I recall, didn't England exist under Christian morals and beliefs? And weren't those Christian beliefs against homosexuality? Oh wait. It's because things change over time. Yep, this too will probably pass but not right now. Just look at Augusta Golf Club. They voted in their first two female golfers. They changed, so who knows? Maybe the BSA will change.

But for now, our Supreme Court ruled in favor of private organizations making rules. And, this doesn't mean we all don't agree with you (for one, I don't care. As a former Boy Scout and current Asst. Cubmaster, I am open to having homosexuals in the ranks) but private organizations here can make their own rules. Maybe it will change but it's not up to me.

Faults based on your opinion? Look, America isn't perfect, but what it does have is the right to organize private businesses and this is one of them. If a person doesn't like it, they can create their own public or private organization.

Not according to the rest of the world.;)

And who decides what faults are and what are accepted? From what I recall, didn't England exist under Christian morals and beliefs? And weren't those Christian beliefs against homosexuality? Oh wait. It's because things change over time.

But that's exactly the point I was making. Other countries have moved on while the US continues to regress socially. I mean, climate change and evolution were widely accepted in the US decades ago and yet now there is an active campaign against both of them. The US can't act as the moral police for the world while holding such backwards views.

But that's exactly the point I was making. Other countries have moved on while the US continues to regress socially. I mean, climate change and evolution were widely accepted in the US decades ago and yet now there is an active campaign against both of them. The US can't act as the moral police for the world while holding such backwards views.

The US is still a traditionally moral nation. By and large we adhere to the older ways.As far as many here are concerned, anyone who deviates from the traditional way is the regressive society.

The US is still a traditionally moral nation. By and large we adhere to the older ways.As far as many here are concerned, anyone who deviates from the traditional way is the regressive society.

eN4GM.gif

That post reinforces just how much change should happen in America, and just how much work the fair people have to do.

That post reinforces just how much change should happen in America, and just how much work the fair people have to do.

Change is needed in America. But if you want true change the two party system has got to go as I think it holds back our progress more than anything.

Change is needed in America. But if you want true change the two party system has got to go as I think it holds back our progress more than anything.

I think I agree with that. I don't yet know much about the issues the two-party system causes, but getting rid of it seems to make sense to me.

As much as that would be nice to add a third or even a forth possible party, good luck getting that done and not having that sucked into either side currently in place. Sort of how the tea party ended up.

As much as that would be nice to add a third or even a forth possible party, good luck getting that done and not having that sucked into either side currently in place. Sort of how the tea party ended up.

Exactly, if I recall the first tea party was libertarian and their was calls to start an actual party by that name and the GOP at first called for litmust tests to keep them out then got clever and embraced them and slowly turned them back into the old guard.