Which Windows 8 tablet has you the most excited?

Obviously this is for people who actually like Windows 8, those who don't, please stay out.

Initially I was quite intrigued by the Windows 8 Pro Surface, primarily because of the stylus. When I had my Acer TMC303 (one of the original convertible Tablet PCs), I liked using the stylus, but the thickness of the glass had an annoying parallax effect. Microsoft talked about having fixed that, so I thought that maybe they had the stylus issue solved. Then I saw a MS Research video talking about latency for the touch screen, and that reminded me that the other thing that was annoying was the delay in using the stylus and having it show up on the screen (likely exacerbated by the parallax), so in all likelihood it won't be the ideal pen system, and I'll still be waiting until they get the latency issue solved as well.

So I think the one (from what has been released now) that really has me interested is the Asus Taichi. I've been thinking that what the Transformer needed was a dock that the tablet could be inserted into both ways, so you can still keep the keyboard in hand while using it as a tablet, instead of having to find somewhere to stick it. It doesn't look like they've done that yet. The weight and size of the TMC303 didn't bother me, so I won't have a concern about the weight of the Taichi in tablet mode, and there's some really interesting potential that being able to use both screens at the same time offers. As long as the price isn't excessively higher than the average Ultrabook/Tablet, it's a strong contender.

I'll also be keeping an eye on the Acer W510 because of the Matte screen. That's really something that hasn't taken hold enough yet, and if it has a discreet graphics option instead of just HD4000 I'll be giving it more than just a second look.

Which of the announced ones do you think you'll be getting?

Before the Surface reveal? Samsung Series 7 Slate. Now? Surface Pro.

This fall? Who knows... with 20+ Intel based tablets coming this fall, and who knows how many AMD and ARM based ones coming... I should be able to find the perfect one for me :)

@OP Quick answer: none of the above. Do not want.

• Like 1

This fall? Who knows... with 20+ Intel based tablets coming this fall, and who knows how many AMD and ARM based ones coming... I should be able to find the perfect one for me :)

Definitely. Hell, if I end up not having enough money to afford one of the more nifty ones, I'm sure the Asus 810 will come in around the $500 price point. Perfect as a stopgap until I have money saved up for what I really want.

We haven't seen all of them yet I'd say so it's hard to pick, if the price is right for the Surface Pro then probably that is going to be my first choice. Need to wait on price and also battery life since it's an x86 i5.

Asus/Acer (they're too similar. I always mix them up) had a pretty sweet 11.6" Ivy Bridge ULV Core i5 tablet with a thunderbolt port. That's pretty cool.

Obviously this is for people who actually like Windows 8, those who don't, please stay out.

If you post here, we are all free to respond. I don't believe we have private threads here.

None really. Maybe Im showing my age but its not like it used to be. In the past a new device offered so many new features, things we had never seen before. Now days the processor is a but faster, the UI a bit smoother and the device a bit thinner. Nothing really gets me exited anymore when it comes to the latest computer hardware - Im usually more excited about the devices which connect to it, the cameras and phones - all which seem to advance quite a bit with each generation.

• Like 1

For near future, buying RT version is like throwing money away. Small number of apps and small resolution, but for a price similar to other tablets.

As for x86 tablet, I really like Surface Pro. Sadly, I can't find a good reason why it would be useful. For portable device and support for monitor, mouse and keyboard, laptop is a better choice and it's also upgradeable. For tablet like device, I would rather buy iPad or similar Android tablet. There is a limited number of Metro apps right now, Windows apps are a major PITA to use with touchscreen, and battery life won't be something to look forward to.

Initially I pegged the Surface Pro as well but just responding to this with the Windows 8 touch keyboard and how slow that can be for anything other than a few words makes me think ill prefer a device with a keyboard permanently attached somehow. The way the Surface is designed I don't think it will be as flexible as I'd like. So that means something like the MSI S20 or Toshiba convertible ultrabook. Will see what is available when W8 launches.

Acer Iconia W700, followed by Surface Pro. Not strictly a tablet, but Asus Transformer Book has caught my fancy big time as well. Obviously, I am sure there will be more announced, so am sitting tight. So far, W700 is what I would buy.

Really though, all of the above are blurring the line between tablets and ultrabooks. Indeed, they are ultrabooks without or detachable keyboard/trackpad sections.

For more typical tablets, we have to look to things like Asus 600 and 810 / Surface RT.

Definitely the Surface. The built in keyboard is enough for me, most of the time I won't even have it attached.

I am actually starting with Surface RT and see if I can "live" with it but I am not expecting that to happen. Then when surface pro hits sell the RT which should hold value far better than a normal pc and at worst lose $75. However if they are a hit and hard to find it could actually be worth more than retail.... I figure it's worth the gamble just so I can get a win8 device on launch.

More than likely will sell it when the pro comes out for the better screen and stylus.