Where Microsoft Has

Windows 8 and all new stuff Microsoft is releasing looks disgusting to me and completely tasteless. Compared to Apple stuff it's night and day and that's when Apple is at it's worst (like ical with that awful leather).

Windows 8 and all new stuff Microsoft is releasing looks disgusting to me and completely tasteless. Compared to Apple stuff it's nice and day and that's when Apple is at it's worst (like ical with that awful leather).

I prefer Unity that Ubuntu is using. Seems the most straight forward and doesn't get in the way.

I like office 2013, I like the "desktop" visual style in windows 8 and I like android 4 look but to be honest apples ui is looking very dated compared to these. They haven't changed it in 10 years, probably about time they should me thinks...

Windows 8 and all new stuff Microsoft is releasing looks disgusting to me and completely tasteless. Compared to Apple stuff it's night and day and that's when Apple is at it's worst (like ical with that awful leather).

Yeah, but Boz... Your opinion is hardly objective, is it? Everyone knows you hate everything MS. :p

• Like 2

Yeah, but Boz... Your opinion is hardly objective, is it? Everyone knows you hate everything MS. :p

Well in that case it means I hate Microsoft, I hate Apple, I hate everyone. :)

I don't. I appreciate things that are done right and criticize things that are not done right. Saying Microsoft has taste is just wrong IMO.

completely disagree, i love windows 8 and the directions in which microsoft is heading. i'm really loving the unity between their products this time around.

completely disagree, i love windows 8 and the directions in which microsoft is heading. i'm really loving the unity between their products this time around.

Time will tell how Windows 8 products are received by common people. I for one, also hate the ultra simplistic Metro UI. Coloring it with pink/teal/lime green makes matters even worse.

• Like 2

Metro as a design is way more functional and efficient. Sure there can be more improvements to the way it's implemented, but the whole point of it is to allow you to focus more on what you're doing without all the silly distractions people have been adding in just because they can.

I hate skeumorphic design in computers, unless where it is logical. It's the reason I disliked Aero glass effects and always turned off transparency, but some of the new stuff in OS X Lion onwards is even more hideous. Really delighted that Microsoft is leaving this horribly cheesy idea behind for being "authentically digital.

Well in that case it means I hate Microsoft, I hate Apple, I hate everyone. :)

I don't. I appreciate things that are done right and criticize things that are not done right. Saying Microsoft has taste is just wrong IMO.

Weren't you employed by Microsoft at one point?

Seems to me you hate everything except Google, they must be your employer now then.

It seems to me as if Microsoft and Apple's UI designers are starting to regress a fair bit.

Seems to me you hate everything except Google, they must be your employer now then.

Are you making excuses to discredit him because of his working experience?

Shame on you..

• Like 3

Dude, Apple is obsessed with animations and eye candy. It's a known fact. As much as I love my iMac, iPhone and iPad, I can tell you right now I absolutely hate the stupid animations. They are totally unnecessary. I managed to completely turn them off on the iMac through the command prompt, but on the other devices I cannot unless I jailbreak them and I am not going to do that because they are working perfectly fine.

Microsoft loves Eye Candy too, but at least they are respectful to the user and give the user the option to turn the animations "off", Apple does not, and that's where Microsoft shines.

Strange that this comes about now. I think the design of Windows 7 was more "tasteful" than what they are focusing on now with Metro (or, as I like to call it, the Fisher-Price UI).

I might be more sympathetic to the the design of the Podcast app if it wasn't so god-awful slow. :/

This. Are you running it on a 3GS like me ? It feels like they?re giving us treats by still supporting our phone for a fourth year (seriously, a 4th year of support for a cellphone ! which company has done this in the past ?), but for me it?s more of a reason to buy the upcoming iPhone right on release day.

About the subject : Never in a hundred years. Apple has put a main focus on design for at least the last 15 years, and it shows. Its sales have proven it over and over for so many products. It takes an insane mind to write an article to say the opposite.

I get depressed each time I open my Windows laptop at my job. Windows 7 feels so dead and dirty. By having these classic boards and grids of data, I feel completely alienated by technology. With Apple, my calendar feels real and alive, my address book feels real and alive, my notes feel real and alive, I could go on for an entire day. I?m not fond of their leather in the calendar app, but it?s a light-year away in front of what Microsoft has been able to do since their existence.

• Like 1

I've never been a big fan of Apple's software design for precisely this reason - they still think they are making hardware. Let's be clear, the issue isn't gloss or eyecandy, its about UIs that try to make digital things mimic real world objects.

More reason to run Win8 on your MacBooks though. ;)

I think hell just froze over because I find myself agreeing with Boz. :rofl:

• Like 6

I've never been a big fan of Apple's software design for precisely this reason - they still think they are making hardware. Let's be clear, the issue isn't gloss or eyecandy, its about UIs that try to make digital things mimic real world objects.

Apple is a hardware company. Software is not their strength, although they are doing a good job with the few apps they have made. No matter what Apple haters and fan boys say, the truth is Apple makes unique hardware devices and gadgets. No company out there has been able to come close, not even Samsung (yes, I said it. Not even Samsung). The iPad, the Iphone, the Apple TV, the iMac - all excellent machines that do what they are designed to do with hardly any flaws (they are not perfect, but they are better than the alternatives out there). I have had my iMac for 3 years now. I have never, and I mean never, had any issues with it whatsoever...None.

Everything except Google and Flash.

Apple is a hardware company. Software is not their strength, although they are doing a good job with the few apps they have made. No matter what Apple haters and fan boys say, the truth is Apple makes unique hardware devices and gadgets. No company out there has been able to come close, not even Samsung (yes, I said it. Not even Samsung). The iPad, the Iphone, the Apple TV, the iMac - all excellent machines that do what they are designed to do with hardly any flaws (they are not perfect, but they are better than the alternatives out there). I have had my iMac for 3 years now. I have never, and I mean never, had any issues with it whatsoever...None.

Really it's an interplay of Software and Hardware. Apple wouldn't be this successful if they only shipped Windows on their computers or Android on their iPhone and iPad. The synergy between their own hardware and their own software is what makes them so successful and it's for that reason Microsoft made their own XBOX 360 (Which is a great product) and the forthcoming Surface tablet which looks to be in the words of Nigel Thornberry, smashing.

N1L8ys.jpg

• Like 1

Really it's an interplay of Software and Hardware. Apple wouldn't be this successful if they only shipped Windows on their computers or Android on their iPhone and iPad. The synergy between their own hardware and their own software is what makes them so successful and it's for that reason Microsoft made their own XBOX 360 (Which is a great product) and the forthcoming Surface tablet which looks to be in the words of Nigel Thornberry, smashing.

N1L8ys.jpg

Agreed. Microsoft needs to take more control of the hardware part like Apple does. I wish Microsoft would make their own hardware and drivers.