Can't get quadraphonic surround sound to work using either sound card

Running Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate on Mainboard : Acer FRS780M, Chipset : AMD 780

I have a very old Sound Blaster Audigy that has always worked for me despite its age, I recall being able to select quadraphonic sound back in my old 32-bit Win 7 just fine. Now I am trying to use 4 speakers again, but when I select "quadraphonic" using the windows playback properties dialog, and then test the rear speakers, the demo audio chime switches back and forth between the front and rear speakers, like it can't decide where to output it to (the speakers are connected to the audigy using two 3.5mm stereo jacks; one for the front in the green plug and one for the rear in the black plug). I also tried switching to "4/4.1 Speakers" using the Creative Audio Console, and about 3 seconds after selecting it, it quickly switches my selection back to "2/2.1 Speakers". What the hell?

So I decide to try my motherboard's onboard sound card. Now I don't have the official drivers for it, Windows just installed it as a "High Definition Audio Device" I installed the official drivers for it, it is called "Realtek High Definition Audio". It has six 3.5mm jacks, one green for front and one black for rear, so I plug my speakers in and set it to the default device. Upon testing the quadraphonic setup in the Win7 dialog, I can hear the front two speakers just fine, but nothing comes out of the rear speakers. I am certain I have the right jack, because windows tells me so in the properties dialog. I also checked the balance levels, and the volume for every speaker is turned up max.

Any ideas why I can't seem to use 4 speakers any more? I have tried rebooting with the speakers plugged in, I'm not running any background programs that could affect the audio.

Whoops, apparently my Realtek onboard required the use of the grey "side speaker" plug, and not the one that would actually make sense for a 4 speaker setup; "rear speakers". Still no idea why the Audigy won't work anymore, but most likely the fact that for years, it has been sitting about 5mm away from my 5770 video card that reaches 85*C on a hot day.