More Windows 8 RTM Screen shots!

That's everything i got really, they are a compilation of several screenshots taken randomly since I think 2008, when theming was quite good. I promise I won't post anything else.

Yes please don't, it all looks so awful and has nothing to do with the thread.

My initial reaction: haha

It looks so ridiculous with all the white washing out everything and the silly blue borders. This is the most hilarious version of windows yet.

This coming from the guy that thinks that a UI with faux leather, faux stitching and faux torn paper looks good :laugh:

• Like 2

This coming from the guy that thinks that a UI with faux leather, faux stitching and faux torn paper looks good :laugh:

Yeah that's right. I think Apples faux look on the reminders app the note app etc looks good. And it does. I don't think it looks good on the friends app they have on iOS. There are good ways to do minimalism, Microsofts way is not the right one. And there are good ways to do faux looks like aero glass on Windows that makes your windows look like sheets of glass and there are bad ways like Apples friends app. :)

It's not like that's how everything in OS X looks.

post-5569-0-97059500-1342996082.jpg

post-5569-0-00698900-1342996138.jpg

post-5569-0-31471200-1342996746.jpg

• Like 2

You're right. Apple use a range of different faux materials throughout their UIs :p

Ha! I guess so. :D Oh well, I can see the value in both approaches (and in both cases only to a certain extent).

Seriously... Did Microsoft not get the message that people got sick of flat and featureless UI's? Why the sudden obsession with filling every window with oceans of white space.

One disappointment after another. I have a feeling Windows 8 could start to revive the currently declining Windows themeing community

Seriously... Did Microsoft not get the message that people got sick of flat and featureless UI's? Why the sudden obsession with filling every window with oceans of white space.

One disappointment after another. I have a feeling Windows 8 could start to revive the currently non existent Windows themeing community

It's hardly non existent. You just never seemed to bother to look for themes since XP it seems.

It's hardly non existent. You just never seemed to bother to look for themes since XP it seems.

Sorry, declining was perhaps a better choice of phrase to use. I am aware that they exist :)

Yeah, I think it's not too bad. In fact, I like it better than Windows 7's UI which, while not as bad as Vista's, still seemed a bit too garish for my taste. I'm thinking you could pick an unobtrusive color here and the UI would pretty much fade into the background (at least if they toned down the whiteness a bit). It only feels like it's missing some structure and Microsoft are making it harder than necessary to differentiate the UI from actual content and to have UI elements be instantly recognizable as such.

I'm thinking you could pick an unobtrusive color here and the UI would pretty much fade into the background (at least if they toned down the whiteness a bit). It only feels like it's missing some structure and Microsoft are making it harder than necessary to differentiate the UI from actual content and to have UI elements be instantly recognizable as such.

Agreed.

I absolutely LOVE the new UI :heart: .... The only thing I recommend changing is the default explorer icons... I hope they 'metrofy' them as they are a bit dated looking and don't really fit the theme.

Also - I'm so sick and tired of people complaining about the cleaner look. If you don't like the new cleaner look, continue to use Windows 7 or use a clunky looking Mac. If you don't remember what Metro is about, it's about putting the content upfront and not letting the UI elements (or chrome) get in the way.

I think the bigger question is that Microsoft had said "more changes are coming in RTM" but this's much to justify that. Some tweaks here and there and that's about it. (I was surprised when they said we will change after RC to begin with).

This has to be the worst UI I have ever seen on windows in a modern time (not talking about old windows OS's)...

+1

This is a huge step backwards from Windows 7. The "cheesiness" Microsoft loves to dismiss Win 7 with nowadays more accurately describes the Windows 8 UI.

• Like 1

When I look at these with that blue I can't help thinking I'm in Vista/Win7 Basic mode and I have display driver problems again. It really does feel like they decided to get rid of Aero for Vista/Win7 Basic.

I think the bigger question is that Microsoft had said "more changes are coming in RTM" but this's much to justify that. Some tweaks here and there and that's about it. (I was surprised when they said we will change after RC to begin with).

There are more changes than just those found in these screenshots.... these are just the new noticeable changes since the last leak.