More Windows 8 RTM Screen shots!

I very strongy prefer Office 2013's 1px border+subtle shadow to this hyperflat mess with fat blue borders. Office 2013's border is so much more elegant.

post-151800-0-33696500-1343003563.png

• Like 2

I very strongy prefer Office 2013's 1px border+subtle shadow to this hyperflat mess with fat blue borders. Office 2013's border is so much more elegant.

just more inconsistant UI junk... I wish the Office team and the Windows team would just use the same UI's for once, they've been on different pages for ever... yeah the office design looks better, the metroish theme for windows looks ugh too much chrome just for the sake of it..

just more inconsistant UI junk... I wish the Office team and the Windows team would just use the same UI's for once, they've been on different pages for ever...

[. . .]

Yeah, I highly disliked how the ribbon in Office 2010 was so different to the ribbon used in Windows 7 applications (Paint, Wordpad etc.), and how different those applications looked to the Office suite.

The WinRT applications and the overall Metro experience appear to offer a consistent approach, though, I think :)

just more inconsistant UI junk... I wish the Office team and the Windows team would just use the same UI's for once, they've been on different pages for ever... yeah the office design looks better, the metroish theme for windows looks ugh too much chrome just for the sake of it..

I think this time is the first they have been closest ever as you mention. In my experience Office has always been their harbinger of changes to Windows UI. IIRC even "My Documents" folder was first introduced by Office 95 before it appeared in Windows 95.

You do realize the border color can be changed right? The blue just happens to be what Thurrott has it set to.

very very clean looking, loving it and did anyone notice MS has added a question box to ask you if you want to automatically goto the desktop after logging into the computer???

very very clean looking, loving it and did anyone notice MS has added a question box to ask you if you want to automatically goto the desktop after logging into the computer???

Yes, multiple people noticed that and multiple people pointed out that the question box is from start8 and not Windows :p

That File history UI blows. Whoever thought that Photo gallery UI which itself is originally based on WMP can be used for file history has no place in any UX team.

"Just replace the play button with a bright green curvy arrow and there it is, I am done!" :crazy:

• Like 2

I'm confused why you would post an image of a dialog box from Mac OS X to me, a Windows 7 user.

All that gray looks rubbish too, if that was your point? :rofl:

i meant all being washed out doesn't mean its not modern , it does look good , and you can always change color and have good contrast. And no , not rubbish :p

i meant all being washed out doesn't mean its not modern , it does look good , and you can always change color and have good contrast.

Everything except the frame is fixed though, right?

post-5569-0-69393400-1343015471.png

I don't think that's broken. I think it's scrolling panel and the partial box on the left is another date in the file history.

Yes , yet again the "Contrast" will help , also everything white helps you to focus on icons and buttons, the UI i less distracting IMO. Let's try it out in Oct and see how it really goes.

Very, very, nice!. Exactly what I wanted from the Metro design language. Not a fan of that particular shade of blue, but there won't be any trouble in changing it.

That shade of blue is Paul Thurrott's choice. The default will most definitely be not it. According to Microsoft it will be white, but they may change it to a light shade depending on feedback. Personally, I would be using a very light shade of green.

1) I love the Metro flat minimalist design - I use my computer to achieve an end task and not to 'express my individuality through the power of themes" as some people here seem to fixate on.

2) If you want gaudy crappy 3d bezels etc. then go and install a copy of Solaris 8 or Irix:

Openwindows.jpg

screen.5.big.jpg

I'm sure the 'Metro sucks' people are just wetting their pants with delight over the two above screen shots.

3) As a Mac user I'm looking eagerly at the launch of Windows 8 and giving it a try - it definitely is making me reconsider the idea of purchasing a new Mac to replace my current ones in the next couple of years. Microsoft has got its mojo back and the screaming and noisy fans, the one who caused Vista to fail because of all their stupid input into the design process that destroyed the GUI, are hating it because they can no longer make their desktop look like crap by default. Cry me a river and deal with it.

I must say I love the UI. Yes I still like Aero class, and admit some parts of OS X do look better (like Time Machine), I think this will work really well (Apart from the Aero icons). It's flat and simple, which I like. I mean half the time I'm actually doing work and not starting at the borders. But even then they look nice and simple.

The white is clear, and if not you can change it to any colour, and the option to pick the most prominent colour from your wallpaper is still there so I'm happy.

I really want to reserve judgement till I try the finished product. But I'm really concerned... I think the UI looks a bit of a train wreck :|

So they are keeping the same Vista-era icons on a metro UI? :(

Thought they were going to change them

they where supose to "change" them in windows 7 RTM going by reports back then... but that never happened too, they just updated more they missed in vista...

I like the new UI. Maybe it'll be the first one that I don't swap out for a custom one right away. That said, I would have preferred one pixel thick/no color frames like in Office 2013 or the Zune software, but the thicker frames are probably there to distinguish the active window from the inactive ones more easily.

And they really need to change the icons to something a bit simpler.