Windows stops booting when new RAM is installed

You should have AI Tweaker in the bios, go to DRAM Frequency and set 1333 MHz, then go to DRAM timing control and set 9-9-9-24, then go to DRAM voltage and set 1.5V.

How can I be sure both the Corsair and PNY chips I have installed are 9-9-9-24?

I can't find the official specs of the pny module, but if corsair is cl9, the pny can't be higher, not at 1333 MHz at least. The worst it can happen if you put the wrong timings is that you have to do a hard reset again.

You should also try inserting the modules in black + blue (slot 1 and 2) or black + black (slot 1 and 3) maybe they do not work in dual channel mode because of the different manufacturers and specs.

I can't find the official specs of the pny module, but if corsair is cl9, the pny can't be higher, not at 1333 MHz at least. The worst it can happen if you put the wrong timings is that you have to do a hard reset again.

I'll try that later :)

You should also try inserting the modules in black + blue (slot 1 and 2) or black + black (slot 1 and 3) maybe they do not work in dual channel mode because of the different manufacturers and specs.

I've tried in various slots.

You should have AI Tweaker in the bios, go to DRAM Frequency and set 1333 MHz, then go to DRAM timing control and set 9-9-9-24, then go to DRAM voltage and set 1.5V (Corsair, PNY).

There is no AI Tweaker. This is a ?40 motherboard.

try launch them at 1066mhz to be sure it's not m/b that messes up with timings for corsair module.

That worked!

What does this mean?

There is no AI Tweaker. This is a ?40 motherboard.

Sorry for the misinformation, I've overlooked "SI" in your mb model name :/.

That worked!

What does this mean?

Your memory performance will be lower, 1066 instead of 1333 MHz.

Sorry for the misinformation, I've overlooked "SI" in your mb model name :/.

I also overlooked it when I bought it - it really wound me up when I realised :(

Your memory performance will be lower, 1066 instead of 1333 MHz.

I know, but I mean why did this work? What does it mean for that new stick of RAM? (apart from the lower speed) Is it a sub-standard chip? Should I send it back?

One of the reasons I can think of, is that the modules do not perfectly match. Try the PNY module alone with 1333 MHz forced in bios and see if it works.

One of the reasons I can think of, is that the modules do not perfectly match. Try the PNY module alone with 1333 MHz forced in bios and see if it works.

The PNY is the older chip and that works fine. It's the new Corsair chip I'm having trouble with.

The Corsair chips doesn't run at 1333 MHz, even on its own.

Is it worth contacting Corsair about this? Or is there nothing they can do as it's a motherboard issue?

Tbh it could be both, the mb does not apply correct settings for the corsair like voltage and timings, or the module could have issues (although I doubt that).

Are you absolutely sure that you can not set timings manually?

For ex mine has a hidden menu and appears only when I press F4 while I am inside bios.

Tbh it could be both, the mb does not apply correct settings for the corsair like voltage and timings, or the module could have issues (although I doubt that).

Are you absolutely sure that you can not set timings manually?

For ex mine has a hidden menu and appears only when I press F4 while I am inside bios.

If there is a hidden menu, I don't know about it. And I'm only the owner/user of this motherboard.

I can't find the SI model on asus, only the LE and I see that bios Version 0701 Improve memory compatibility. Can you run aida64 or something to see what bios version do you have?

I can't find the SI model on asus, only the LE and I see that bios Version 0701 Improve memory compatibility. Can you run aida64 or something to see what bios version do you have?

I am running 0904.

EDIT: Just found this. 1102 is the latest, but nothing above 0904 seems to fix my problem. Since it's a motherboard (and I can't afford to replace it), I'm thinking in this case that if it's not completely broken, don't fix it.

Nice find, just because your mb does not recognize all the ram modules it doesn't mean it's broken. Usualy mb manufacturers do test some modules but they can't test all.

Next time try to buy a kit or if you can't, at least make sure it's from the same manufacturer or better, the same module. Usualy a kit it's tested and it has the best compatibility between modules.

I don't really know what more you can do, just set 1066MHz and do a stability test with memtest86+ or Super PI Mod v1.5 and settle for that.

Regarding the bios, I usualy install the latest version regardless of what it brings new, let's just say I like to have all of my software updated to the latest.

Edit: I forgot to mention that even if you buy a kit, it doesn't necessarily have to work. Although a rare case, it happened to me a few years ago. I bought 2*1GB A-DATA 2.1v modules and the mb didn't wanted to boot with them, apparently they needed more voltage, which was not supplied. I've changed the modules with GeIL that run at lower voltage (1.8v) and it booted.

Look for bulging capacitors on the board, especially near the RAM slots. The last board I had went all funky and froze/crashed unless there was only one RAM module in it. Turned out to be the board. If the caps are not all flat on top with the "X" scoring still in one piece that's likely the issue.