84 replies to this topic

#1 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,668 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:03

'Crysis 3' leaked screenshots show off stunning lighting

Four new screenshots of Crysis 3, showing off the "Canyon" environment seen in the E3 demo, leaked today.

The gorgeous images were posted on the blog of Pierre-Yves Donzallaz, a senior lighting artist at Crytek, who has since taken them down.

According to Donzallaz, the lighting and post-processing effects exhibited in the screenshots are running in real time. They make the game world look particularly alive, which it is — Crysis 3 takes place in a New York City that has been terraformed after the events of Crysis 2, turning it into a literal urban jungle. It also brings back some of the wide-open spaces that were characteristic of the original Crysis' tropical setting, while retaining the verticality of its sequel.

Crytek, the German studio making Crysis 3, has stated a desire to maintain parity across all three platforms, both in terms of visuals — as much as possible — and gameplay. "If something would radically change the experience on one platform, and we can't translate across all of them, then the feature will not be there," director of creative development Rasmus Hoejengaard told Polygon in April.

Crysis 3 is set to launch on PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 in February 2013.

Source: The Verge

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Nagisan

Nagisan

Neowinian Senior

• 5,178 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:07

Not impressed honestly.....looks more like concept art than in-game screenshots IMO.

#3 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

• 36,340 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:07

They look like artistic renders, aka bullshots.

Not saying elements aren't in-game, they just reek of touch up.

#4 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,381 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:10

says "Lighting Artist" at the bottom of each one, so probably is just touched up stuff..

#5 nyolc8

nyolc8

Neowinian

• 767 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 520

I think these are in-game screenshots, but they're photoshopped to look better.

#6 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 3,099 posts

most probably those images were shopped, which is usual.

#7 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,596 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:11

The screenshots look really fantastic. I'm definitely looking forward to the game after seeing their E3 demo, and these shots are just tantalizing. Hopefully Crytek won't neuter the PC version this time around, and we'll get proper graphics support.

#8 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• 6,169 posts
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:13

Yeah I'd say these are renderings rather than screenshots of the game itself. I don't think that's the story here though, this is...

Crytek, the German studio making Crysis 3, has stated a desire to maintain parity across all three platforms, both in terms of visuals — as much as possible — and gameplay. "If something would radically change the experience on one platform, and we can't translate across all of them, then the feature will not be there,"

I read that as "PC players will get screwed out of a great shooter because the consoles aren't as capable". It's Crysis 2 all over again :(

#9 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

• 1,865 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:16

They don't look all that technically impressive, imo.

Nowhere near ultra-realistic and none of the trees look lifelike.

#10 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,596 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:16

I read that as "PC players will get screwed out of a great shooter because it's more the consoles aren't as capable". It's Crysis 2 all over again :(

I interpreted it that way too. I'm still hopeful though.

As for the shots being touched-up, that doesn't bother me. Crytek has always had really good looking games. I don't doubt that Crysis 3 will look really close to those shots when it's done.

#11 Athernar

Athernar

?

• 3,020 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 16:03

I read that as "PC players will get screwed out of a great shooter because the consoles aren't as capable". It's Crysis 2 all over again :(

Or more specifically, "we'll continue to introduce and overuse shaders, to try and disguise the fact we're still using 2006-level texture and mesh resolution because consoles can't handle anything better".

That and the fact that Crytek have never heard of the term "artstyle".

#12 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 16:14

Awesome. I'm really looking forward to another horribly optimized game. Getting it running is the fun part!!!

#13 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 6,058 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 16:23

This looks like concept art to me.

I love the artistic design though.

#14 Vice

Vice

Bye!

• 15,877 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 16:28

Gameplay is what I care about. Sorry but Crysis 1 and 2 sucked in the gameplay department. Boring as hell. Crytek has a long way to go before they are on the Valve level of single player campaign FPS production. Half Life 2 this is not.

#15 Tartan

Tartan

For The Horde !!!

• 793 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 16:36

If those shots are 100% true, you'd better start saving for dual sli 680gtx's, extra memory and the latest overclocked cpu's, otherwise it's gonna run like ass, or nothing remotely like those screens as a result of turning down graphic settings to get the damn thing to work.