'Crysis 3' leaked screenshots show off stunning lighting

So in your mind, saying "not that technically impressive" and "the trees don't look lifelike" equates to "this is ****?"

Yea, I don't think the issue is with me, here.

Yes that's true but too often these days I see comments like "That looks crap" or "That's not impressive at all" ... when it IS impressive. It isn't crap. It's actually amazingly well drawn. People are just so extreme with their comments. Perhaps a better way of saying something's not to your liking is "Well, it's really good quality but I've seen better". That'd be fair.

Or perhaps we just expect a certain level of quality to justify the high price we pay for games? Game studios aren't doing us a favour, they are selling games as commercial products. You wouldn't accept a shower with a faulty pipe weld or a car with a faulty fuel filter so why should a gamer accept a shoddily designed game?

Or perhaps we just expect a certain level of quality to justify the high price we pay for games? Game studios aren't doing us a favour, they are selling games as commercial products. You wouldn't accept a shower with a faulty pipe weld or a car with a faulty fuel filter so why should a gamer accept a shoddily designed game?

That's a ridiculous thing to say and seems to highlight exactly what Spirit Dave is talking about: Just because the graphics don't blow your mind does not mean the game is faulty.

That's a ridiculous thing to say and seems to highlight exactly what Spirit Dave is talking about: Just because the graphics don't blow your mind does not mean the game is faulty.

I don't think Javik is talking about graphics. You should go back a page to see him mention how the Crysis games have a poor story line and the game play can be frustrating.

Well, if we're talking faulty graphics... Crysis 2 had some issues in that department. For starters and this one is fairly big and obvious *and* was never fixed during the entire lifetime of the games multiplayer was that the entire ground/dirt texture in every single multiplayer map was black. And then there was the incredibly poor texture models pre high res texture pack.

So yeah.. track record is actually established for faulty graphics. Now you might have a fair point in saying that Crysis 3 is a completely different game. But the counter to that is that it's still made by Crytek, which as I said have already established that they are not so great at QA.

As long as it's released on Steam I'll consider it. There was a load of fuss with Crysis 2 on Steam and EA has withdrawn most of its newer titles, so it's far from certain yet. I refuse to buy any EA game that isn't available on Steam because I won't support their boycott of a rival service (and I like to keep my games in one place).

Well Crysis for one. heck even the Modern Warfare games, which do tell the story in an excellent way with their cinematography. But personally I find Raven shield and it's earlier RB6 and the original Ghost recon to be best. Even though they may focus more on the gameplay than the story.

You hold Modern Warfare games at a higher stance than Half-Life 2? I respect peoples opinions, but did happen to indulge in a small amount of paint chips as a kid?

I DON'T get what is so "stunning" about those screenshots. I've seen Skyrim or even Oblivion look better than that with some of the mods.

You hold Modern Warfare games at a higher stance than Half-Life 2?

There really is no accounting for taste. Crysis was a decent sandbox shooter but it was pretty poor as a game and had a very generic and poorly delivered narrative. Crysis 2 was a lot more focused - both in terms of narrative and gameplay - but it wasn't exceptional and felt a bit more constricted. The Modern Warfare games are simply terrible when talking about the single-player - the gameplay mechanics are shallow and break immersion, the graphics are terrible, the narratives are ludicrous and have no emotional depth and they're incredibly short. Neither franchise compares to the standards set by the Half-Life franchise, which defined the standards for narrative, pacing, gameplay, graphics and immersion. The best game recently in terms of narrative and gameplay was Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

I think that the Crysis and Far Cry franchises have come the closest to rivalling the Half-Life series and both upcoming games - Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3 - look promising, especially the latter as it seems to have a strong focus on narrative and characters. I just wish that Valve would hurry up and produce another innovative singleplayer title.

• Like 1

There really is no accounting for taste. Crysis was a decent sandbox shooter but it was pretty poor as a game and had a very generic and poorly delivered narrative. Crysis 2 was a lot more focused - both in terms of narrative and gameplay - but it wasn't exceptional and felt a bit more constricted. The Modern Warfare games are simply terrible when talking about the single-player - the gameplay mechanics are shallow and break immersion, the graphics are terrible, the narratives are ludicrous and have no emotional depth and they're incredibly short. Neither franchise compares to the standards set by the Half-Life franchise, which defined the standards for narrative, pacing, gameplay, graphics and immersion. The best game recently in terms of narrative and gameplay was Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

I think that the Crysis and Far Cry franchises have come the closest to rivalling the Half-Life series and both upcoming games - Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3 - look promising, especially the latter as it seems to have a strong focus on narrative and characters. I just wish that Valve would hurry up and produce another innovative singleplayer title.

I wish Valve would back to quality titles and get off the DLC wagon, They promised a continuation in the Half-Life series then shafted us when L4D , Portal and TF2, became more popular. I fear if they do come out with something Half-Life related it will be on the same level of hype that Duke Nukem Forever brought to us when it finally came out, Disappointment.

That was off topic but I feel it needed to be said.

I wish Valve would back to quality titles and get off the DLC wagon, They promised a continuation in the Half-Life series then shafted us when L4D , Portal and TF2, became more popular. I fear if they do come out with something Half-Life related it will be on the same level of hype that Duke Nukem Forever brought to us when it finally came out, Disappointment.

I wouldn't say they "shafted us" - as L4D, Portal and TF2 are great games in their own right - but they have certainly done a very poor job of keeping the community informed and it is clear that their priorities are very different to those of their fans. For example, Dota 2 looks great but I'd rather have Half-Life 3 any day and I'd pay decent money for it.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say they "shafted us" - as L4D, Portal and TF2 are great games in their own right - but they have certainly done a very poor job of keeping the community informed and it is clear that their priorities are very different to those of their fans. For example, Dota 2 looks great but I'd rather have Half-Life 3 any day and I'd pay decent money for it.

Agreed, I'm still holding out for Black Mesa Source.

If those shots are 100% true, you'd better start saving for dual sli 680gtx's, extra memory and the latest overclocked cpu's, otherwise it's gonna run like ass, or nothing remotely like those screens as a result of turning down graphic settings to get the damn thing to work.

No kidding! Then again, Crysis is a benchmark game so you never know...

Ugh, it's this blind worshiping of the HL series as some kind of holy grail of gaming when it's not and doesn't deserve it that really bugs me. The series may not be terrible but to act as it's some kind of pillar of gaming is kinda laughable.

Back on topic though, I still can't see how anyone can be imprssed by these shots. Unless of course, they're console-only gamers. Then maybe it starts to make sense.

People who think those pictures where enhanced also think to know so much about graphics programming that they know it it's impossible to do in real time. I know the basics and I know it can be easily done with today's tech. If you can apply some fancy photoshop work to enhance an image, why can't you do it in realtime? The thing is you can. Whether or not it's true for these screenshots remains open for debate but the tech is there. Also, some of the effects we see seem to be part of a reflection or dirt/water in the player's helmet.

And Half-Life is still one of the best shooters series of our time, anyone who disagrees with that is not a real gamer :p

Ugh, it's this blind worshiping of the HL series as some kind of holy grail of gaming when it's not and doesn't deserve it that really bugs me. The series may not be terrible but to act as it's some kind of pillar of gaming is kinda laughable.

please look into the HL series before making a comment like that.

HL is with no doubt what started the modern fps genre. it introduced story based fps like no one had before. Also the first game to use sceleton animation. In addition it established the WASD keys as a standard in fps games.

HL2 also have some brilliant tech, but is not as revolutionary as the original. Despite that they are brilliant in terms of story telling and game design.

It's not blind worship at all. I wouldn't call HL2 the "holy grail of gaming", but it still does alot right that a majority of games still just don't do.

Back on topic though, I still can't see how anyone can be imprssed by these shots. Unless of course, they're console-only gamers. Then maybe it starts to make sense.

Perhaps someone might find them impressive if they weren't solely concerned with technical fidelity.

I don't think Javik is talking about graphics. You should go back a page to see him mention how the Crysis games have a poor story line and the game play can be frustrating.

That's precisely what I meant. It's about overall quality, not lacking in one specific area. Graphically Crysis (the only one from the series I actually played) was pretty impressive, it was the gameplay I thought was lacking. And that's the point I was trying to make, gamers shouldn't have to accept games that are poor overall.

Then of course, when a title like Crysis comes out and it's overriding feature is the graphics - and it has really horrible textures in some parts and anomalies in others, games should ask "well what's the point of this game then?".

Because Crysis 1 had some really crappy textures in places and the gameplay was pretty poor too.

Also, what other games use the Crytek engine?

Then of course, when a title like Crysis comes out and it's overriding feature is the graphics - and it has really horrible textures in some parts and anomalies in others, games should ask "well what's the point of this game then?".

Because Crysis 1 had some really crappy textures in places and the gameplay was pretty poor too.

Also, what other games use the Crytek engine?

If you say the gameplay of Crysis 1 is poor, you have not played the game properly. The gameplay is what sets it apart from other fps games.

CrEngine is licensed by millitary forces.

Actually very few games use CryEngine compared to the likes of UE3. I prefer CryEngne over UE3 but I'm mighty impressed by the early looks at Unreal Engine 4.

If you say the gameplay of Crysis 1 is poor, you have not played the game properly. The gameplay is what sets it apart from other fps games.

CrEngine is licensed by millitary forces.

Not true, it's just poor. Well maybe poor is harsh - mediocre at best.

• Like 1

Not true, it's just poor. Well maybe poor is harsh - mediocre at best.

When saying that I must ask what difficulty you played it on. The game should only be played on Delta (the hardest). That is where the game really shines. Then you have to be more selective and use the powers strategically. I have played through Crysis 1 maybe 8 times on delta, using different tactics on all.Seriously one of the most flexible fps games ever. No terrible scripting and such.

After Crysis most fps games became boring. Too bad Crysis 2 ruined everything with the "consoleitis" crap.