Apple rolling out updated iWork with iCloud and Retina support

Apple rolls out updated iWork with iCloud document sync, Retina display support

Alongside OS X Mountain Lion today, Apple appears ready to unleash an updated version of iWork that takes advantage of the company?s latest hardware and software technologies. The new version of iWork ? which includes Pages, Numbers, and Keynote ? has been completely enhanced to work perfectly with the new 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display.

screen-shot-2012-07-25-at-6-19-09-am.png?w=657&h=325

Additionally, this new version of iWork includes iCloud Documents in the Cloud support. That means you can work on an iWork document on your Mac, and pick up your work on an iPad, iPhone or iPod touch. Vice versa as well. The entire document sync process is handled in an intuitive document selection interface. The updated apps are also being teased in the Mac App Store?s new iCloud section:

screen-shot-2012-07-25-at-6-23-59-am.png?w=657&h=116

The update is currently touted on Apple?s official iWork website, but is yet to actually be released. We will update when it?s out.

9to5Mac

Apple - iWork

LOL, still '09? :laugh:

I know version numbers matter less than features, but Jebus Christ!

'13 is what I thought would be announced now or soon and they still dig out the good old fella?

Glassed Silver:mac

Nice! (Y) I just got it through Software Update.

Good to know. I was worried the update would only be for App Store purchases which would have angered me because I bought the '09 in disc form from Best Buy.

It's insane Apple still hasn't released an actual update to iWork '09 yet.

Why? like Glassed Silver said what really matter are the features, and why they will stamp a new version number if 09 is upgradeable with the same results? I know is not a very smart marketing decision but worked is working so far, and if your Mac came with iWork pre-installed it?s free :) but yeah, it's weird at the end, if not for the Mac (they care less every day) for iOS.

Why? like Glassed Silver said what really matter are the features, and why they will stamp a new version number if 09 is upgradeable with the same results?

I have no idea what you're talking about here. Except for compatibility updates for new OS X versions, iCloud and hardware iWork '09 hasn't seen any actual new added features. iWork '09 in essence has remained unchanged since its release in January 2009.

They still haven't removed references to iwork.com in Pages/Numbers/Keynote (the icon to 'share' is still there) - is Apple lazy or just plain stupid to over look such an obvious detail?

They still haven't removed references to iwork.com in Pages/Numbers/Keynote (the icon to 'share' is still there) - is Apple lazy or just plain stupid to over look such an obvious detail?

Probably just stupid. Maybe they're releasing a new version with new features soon, and this was just a stopgap.

Ha! I noticed the same thing today when launching Keynote.

LOL, still '09? :laugh:

I know version numbers matter less than features, but Jebus Christ!

'13 is what I thought would be announced now or soon and they still dig out the good old fella?

Glassed Silver:mac

Why fix something if it ain't broken? See, that's the difference between Apple and Microsoft. Apple improves it's OS. Makes it better by adding things, not re-designing the whole OS and messing things that are already working up. Microsoft likes to change things around too much and screw everything that is working fine by adding and changing things (Windows Vista). Apple made changes to its already great Lion OS, but left the things that are working alone and improved other areas and they are not charging the user a ridiculous amount of money to upgrade like Microsoft does every time they come up with a new Windows version.

Maybe they'll get rid of it once it no longer works, because right now it still does.

Why fix something if it ain't broken? See, that's the difference between Apple and Microsoft. Apple improves it's OS. Makes it better by adding things, not re-designing the whole OS and messing things that are already working up. Microsoft likes to change things around too much and screw everything that is working fine by adding and changing things (Windows Vista). Apple made changes to its already great Lion OS, but left the things that are working alone and improved other areas and they are not charging the user a ridiculous amount of money to upgrade like Microsoft does every time they come up with a new Windows version.

Your post bares no relevance to this thread.

• Like 1

iWork has become a joke over the years. The only app that makes sense in terms of features is Keynote, but the interface doesn?t really fit in anymore, with those unified-windows interfaces popping up from Apple?s HQ. Numbers still lacks performance, SQL database connections and pivot tables and its inspector is horrendous to work with, and Pages is a total joke, they need to pay an Apple employee to go bury this app in a wasteland ASAP and hire a team (because they seem to NOT have a dedicated iWork team) to start a new text editing app from scratch. Mathematical equations are not taken seriously in any of those apps either.

If they want to win some serious market share, they'll have to release a honest office suite that does justice to their OS and ecosystem. Come on Apple, put your next key focus on iWork and release a honest upgrade already.

PyX you never liked Pages. Personally I haven't touched either Word or PowerPoint in seven years. Pages and Keynote suit my needs perfectly and have no real issues with the interface. Of course that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvements. The apps are far from being a "joke".

Your post bares no relevance to this thread.

Then you are dumb if you didn't understand what I was trying to say.

Then you are dumb if you didn't understand what I was trying to say.

Or you're just unable to get your point across in an understandable fashion. Your post doesn't even mention "iWork", "Keynote", "Pages" or "Numbers" once. Al you do is jabber on about operating systems, while this thread is purely about iWork. Some of us like to see those improvements you talk about in iWork as well. Reality is, beyond bug and compatibility fixes the app suite has seen none since January 2009. It's comparable to OS X Snow Leopard still being the very latest OS version.

You?re lucky, .Neo, I?m opening Word and Excel every day, and sometimes even Powerpoint. I?ve decided to do all my presentations in my career in Keynote, though some people will argue with me. I can?t stand Powerpoint?s poor performance and ugly animations, and its lack of alignment guides.

I?ve just given Pages a go. Here?s my issues with it :

- Its interface is a complete mess. Wayyyy too many windows and menus and windows and inspectors and toolbars and subtoolbars and pop ups and submenus and?. ughhhhh !!! Let?s face it, it?s not a convenient app. (see screenshot below)

- Interface has too much wasted space (especially in the styles drawer)

- Total lack of compatibility between Pages and Word

- Its correcting tools are the ones found in OS X. This has been fixed little by little over the years, but it will never match up with the unbelievable correcting tools as powerful as Antidote, or even the built-in Word corrector with integrated synonyms, antonyms, translation tools, etc.

- It doesn?t have enough custom smart fields (i.e. you don?t have access to number of pages in a section directly, you have to use the pagination feature to be able to use it)

- Shapes don?t have any connectors

- The comments system leaves you with the ability to remove your name

- Doesn?t seem to have figure and table numbers, and no summary either. You have to do it all by hand.

post-43201-0-66055900-1343347431_thumb.p

Or you're just unable to get your point across in an understandable fashion. Your post doesn't even mention "iWork", "Keynote", "Pages" or "Numbers" once. Al you do is jabber on about operating systems while this thread is purely about iWork. Some of us like to see those improvements you talk about in iWork as well. Beyond bug and compatibility fixes the app suite has seen none since January 2009.

Use common sense dude. I mentioned the OS as an example. If you are intelligent, you should be able to see what my point was and what I was trying to say, but since you need it in plain English, I guess I will tell you:

iWorks '09 works fine. There is nothing wrong with it. Apple added a few things and fixed some other bugs to make it better. If it's working fine, why mess it up with new UI changes and other crap?

You?re lucky, .Neo, I?m opening Word and Excel every day, and sometimes even Powerpoint. I?ve decided to do all my presentations in my career in Keynote, though some people will argue with me. I can?t stand Powerpoint?s poor performance and ugly animations, and its lack of alignment guides.

I?ve just given Pages a go. Here?s my issues with it :

- Its interface is a complete mess. Wayyyy too many windows and menus and windows and inspectors and toolbars and subtoolbars and pop ups and submenus and?. ughhhhh !!! Let?s face it, it?s not a convenient app. (see screenshot below)

- Interface has too much wasted space (especially in the styles drawer)

- Total lack of compatibility between Pages and Word

- Its correcting tools are the ones found in OS X. This has been fixed little by little over the years, but it will never match up with the unbelievable correcting tools as powerful as Antidote, or even the built-in Word corrector with integrated synonyms, antonyms, translation tools, etc.

- It doesn?t have enough custom smart fields (i.e. you don?t have access to number of pages in a section directly, you have to use the pagination feature to be able to use it)

- Shapes don?t have any connectors

- The comments system leaves you with the ability to remove your name

- Doesn?t seem to have figure and table numbers, and no summary either. You have to do it all by hand.

It's the same thing is you try to open an Apple document created on Pages in Microsoft Word. The compatibility its just not there. To each, its own. Apple is Apple. Microsoft is Microsoft.

Use common sense dude. I mentioned the OS as an example. If you are intelligent, you should be able to see what my point was and what I was trying to say, but since you need it in plain English, I guess I will tell you:

iWorks '09 works fine. There is nothing wrong with it. Apple added a few things and fixed some other bugs to make it better. If it's working fine, why mess it up with new UI changes and other crap?

Except Apple hasn't added anything to iWork '09 beyond iCloud integration. Funny how you call on my intelligence when you yourself completely fail to realize and understand this. Applying your flawed logic to your little story Apple could have stopped releasing major new OS X versions beyond OS X Panther or Tiger. After all, they worked just fine as well. Yet Apple continued developing OS X applying "UI changes and other crap". Even the latest version, OS X Mountain Lion, spots "UI changes and other crap", something you end up applauding.

Enjoying those double standards much? You should follow that piece of advice your gave me and apply some common sense to your own train of thought.

It's the same thing is you try to open an Apple document created on Pages in Microsoft Word. The compatibility its just not there. To each, its own. Apple is Apple. Microsoft is Microsoft.

So far Microsoft leads more than 95% of the market share in terms of text-editing and spreadsheets and maybe even presentation apps. It?s a crime not to include a decent format converter that works in 99% of the cases. Honestly, if I were Apple, I?d scrap the .pages file format and go with the .docx format all along, just make an app that works way better than Word.

So far Microsoft leads more than 95% of the market share in terms of text-editing and spreadsheets and maybe even presentation apps. It?s a crime not to include a decent format converter that works in 99% of the cases. Honestly, if I were Apple, I?d scrap the .pages file format and go with the .docx format all along, just make an app that works way better than Word.

Obviously Apple isn't going to use Microsoft's format as their standard and become dependent on them. In the end you wouldn't gain much with it either. Advanced formatting would still be all over the place when going from Pages to Word.