[RTM] Windows 8 - CONFIRMED Windows 8 RTM Build = 9200.16384.win8_rtm.12072

I was afraid they were going to do this thing with the icons(actually i was sure they were gonna leave them as is).

It is AMAZING how hard they try to achieve a unified look among their products and services making them all metro but yet they leave something so important that users will have in front of them almost all the time,unchanged.

If you want consistency then icons is a major factor and it is surprising how smth so small makes such a big difference in the feeling of the OS.

It seems, contrary to what I thought as well, that changing icons isn't as simple as we think and that they've got to test them out before or something. I dunno man, I figured it wouldn't be so hard to do, just getting rid of any gradients on most of them would be a step in the right direction I'd say.

On the bright side we could see updates to Win8 and WinRT that bring more than just bug fixes like service packs have. As far as icons and other UI touch ups go I expect to see more happen even before we start to talk about Windows 9.

I was afraid they were going to do this thing with the icons(actually i was sure they were gonna leave them as is).

It is AMAZING how hard they try to achieve a unified look among their products and services making them all metro but yet they leave something so important that users will have in front of them almost all the time,unchanged.

If you want consistency then icons is a major factor and it is surprising how smth so small makes such a big difference in the feeling of the OS.

Baby steps. :) If you want a completely Metro look, much of the desktop and remaining OS needs changed too. But that's going to take a bit yet to do.

Why do those screenshots still have a desktop watermark on them if they're RTM?

Probably been enabled to show it's build number.

It's to prove they're the final build. It can be activated.

Then again, it can just be a modified version of the Release Preview.

Basically the watermark can be easily changed.

It's to prove they're the final build. It can be activated.

Then again, it can just be a modified version of the Release Preview.

Basically the watermark can be easily changed.

Well the "sport" apps isn't using the same icon as RP.

It seems, contrary to what I thought as well, that changing icons isn't as simple as we think and that they've got to test them out before or something. I dunno man, I figured it wouldn't be so hard to do, just getting rid of any gradients on most of them would be a step in the right direction I'd say.

On the bright side we could see updates to Win8 and WinRT that bring more than just bug fixes like service packs have. As far as icons and other UI touch ups go I expect to see more happen even before we start to talk about Windows 9.

i suspect that we are going to have Feature pack (FP) all because of WinRT :p

possibly stupid question, how do people like Canouna on winunleaked have access to MSFT servers?? Like checking the build number 9200 and talking about leaking it and stuff.

Sorry if stupid question but im intrigued.

it's because it hasn't been activated with a key. notice the lockscreen settings window screenshot, it says in red text that you can't personalize it till you activate

possibly stupid question, how do people like Canouna on winunleaked have access to MSFT servers?? Like checking the build number 9200 and talking about leaking it and stuff.

Sorry if stupid question but im intrigued.

I think chinese and russian Microsoft employees are notorious for leaking information. That's my guess anyway but I've noticed that the Windows 8 china version screenshots were always the first to leak for anything new.

I think chinese and russian Microsoft employees are notorious for leaking information. That's my guess anyway but I've noticed that the Windows 8 china version screenshots were always the first to leak for anything new.

A few people mentioned that Canouna wasn't a MSFT employee though. They seem to be able to access the servers with build information on demand.

If he is it makes sense, if he isnt an employee my mind is boggled about how easy he seems to be able to access it.

i suspect that we are going to have Feature pack (FP) all because of WinRT :p

All jokes aside I think we'll see something like feature packs come back, of course when it comes to WinRT they left out the number for a few reasons, mostly because they want to, and have to, try and make sure people know that Windows RT isn't able to run Windows 8 desktop apps, thus you don't call it Windows 8 RT for example. Another reason is like we're saying, so they can update it more often and not have to worry about version numbers and so on. I mean we'll still be calling it Windows RT 2 years from now even when Windows 9 is out, or rather 3 years, guess we'll see how long it takes for them to update the x86 side as well.

Why would they change the icons, every version of Windows has always had assets/icons from previous versions.

With major UI changes they often introduced new icons. XP had new ones, as did Vista because the old ones would've looked out of place. Of coure not all icons were replaced but this time they didn't do anything and the ones we have will be 9 (!) years old when W9 rolls out. They already looked dated and don't fit with rest. Very disappointed by this. :|

The screenshots I'm seeing of the RTM leak, I think I preferred the look of the RP tbh, it looks unfinished

yeah I'm not sure what MS was thinking not updating the main icons

the glossy Vista/7 icons don't fit

yeah I'm not sure what MS was thinking not updating the main icons

the glossy Vista/7 icons don't fit

That's what caught my eye too, the icons looked out of place, made me wonder if it was really the RTM, along with why is there still a watermark on the desktop

That's what caught my eye too, the icons looked out of place, made me wonder if it was really the RTM, along with why is there still a watermark on the desktop

i'm pretty sure the watermark is either due to being installed without a key or they just turned it on