WZOR: Microsoft has just signed-off Windows 8 RTM, Build 8888.16384

windows home server 2011 is build 8800; obviously MS avoided to use 8800 as win8 RTM.

Windows Vista is build 6000... Windows Server 2008 is build 6000...

Windows Vista SP1 is build 6001... Windows Server 2008 SP1 is build 6001

WIndows Vista SP2 is build 6002... Windows Server 2008 SP2 is build 6002...

Windows 7 is build 7600... Windows Server 2008 R2 is 7600...

Windows 7 SP1 is build 7601... Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 is 7601...

Edit... oh, Windows Home Server 2011? Sorry... I thought you were talking about Windows Server 2012...

If one begins with Vista, the number jump of 1600 (6000+1600=7600, 7600+1600=9200) for RTM build numbers would be too consistent a pattern, so it probably won't be 9200. Whatever.

Well it's no secret that my first choice would be to do a clean install of Windows 8.Not an upgrade install.

But if the worst comes to the worst, and Microsoft only sell Windows 8 upgrade CDs,it's not the end of the world.

One option I already mentioned is to re-install a full installation of Windows 7,then upgrade to Windows 8 from there.

Or another way is to upgrade from Windows 8 Release Preview. But of course if you are installing Windows 8 after January 2013,Windows 8 RP will not longer be active. As it expires in January 2013.

But I was watching a You Tube video about someone installing Windows XP Whistler build. Which was a beta version of Windows XP,that they made in 2001 before they released the retail version of Windows XP.

And this man was showing us how to install Windows XP Whistler on a modern computer. And what he did was set the Bios date and time to January 2001. And then Windows XP Whistler installed.

And so another way to install Windows 8 from an upgrade CD after January 2013,would be to. Say it was May 2013,to install Windows 8 RP first so you can then upgrade to the retail version of Windows 8. You would have to change the date on your Bios to something like 15th June 2012 or any date when Windows 8 RP was still active. Between 1st June 2012 and January 2013. Then Windows 8 RP would install and you could then use the upgrade CD to upgrade to Windows 8,retail version you have just bought.

It's just another idea, but I don't know if it would work or not. But it does seem pointless installing Windows 7 and then wasting money on buying Windows 7. if you are not going to keep it on that computer and want Windows 8 instead. Andrea Borman.

Well it's no secret that my first choice would be to do a clean install of Windows 8............ Andrea Borman.

Well, I would say it's too early to worry about these atm, what we had been discussing were based on the official announcement from MS. win8 will GA(along with the upgrade scheme) in Oct., but it would be available for download thru MSDN/technet/VLSC in Aug., no doubt the web would then be flooded with the ISO's. When you get the upgrade key in Oct., try it on the appropriate ISO edition, if it works, you can dump the upgrade ISO and leave all worries behind.......I am quite sure it would work, AFAIK the upgrade key is a retail key. :)

Well, I would say it's too early to worry about these atm, what we had been discussing were based on the official announcement from MS. win8 will GA(along with the upgrade scheme) in Oct., but it would be available for download thru MSDN/technet/VLSC in Aug., no doubt the web would then be flooded with the ISO's. When you get the upgrade key in Oct., try it on the appropriate ISO edition, if it works, you can dump the upgrade ISO and leave all worries behind.......I am quite sure it would work, AFAIK the upgrade key is a retail key. :)

No I am not going to download the retail version of Windows 8 from the Internet. Because I don't want to give my debit card details online. I am going to buy my copy of Windows 8 from the shops if they have it. But I read that won't be until October.

And I don't want an upgrade key for an upgrade install.I want to buy a Windows 8 full installation CD, if they make it. If not then I will just have to buy an upgrade CD. Andrea Borman.

Andrea, unless they change something for Win8 you can do a clean install from an upgrade DVD - there's a pretty obvious way around it that you can find online that MS would be able to close in 2 seconds if they were bothered about it. You'll be able to get the upgrade for about ?40 so it'd be a bit of a waste of money to get a more expensive version than that.

Good heavens, Andrea. How obtuse can you be?

From the Windows blog:

Oh, and by the way - if you?re not upgrading from a prior version of Windows and are building your own PC or installing Windows 8 in a virtual machine or a separate partition, you will be able to purchase and install the Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro System Builder product.

There will be a full installation DVD, as has been explained to you several times.

• Like 3

Don't know sometimes I feel Andrea likes to troll with long boring replies which all basically say the same thing. So I tend to skim through or totally ignore the post.

WZOR is russian warez group which distributes pirated software, why does anyone even taking them seriously? It shouldn't be allowed to be posted here.

Andrea, unless they change something for Win8 you can do a clean install from an upgrade DVD - there's a pretty obvious way around it that you can find online that MS would be able to close in 2 seconds if they were bothered about it. You'll be able to get the upgrade for about ?40 so it'd be a bit of a waste of money to get a more expensive version than that.

But a full installation CD is better.Because then if anything happens to my computer,I can re-install Windows 8 by doing a clean install. Andrea Borman.

But a full installation CD is better.Because then if anything happens to my computer,I can re-install Windows 8 by doing a clean install. Andrea Borman.

IT IS A FULL INSTALLATION DVD(sorry cd is dead)

Look. You can do a full clean install with the upgrade DVD of Windows Vista and Windows 7. It doesn't look like this will change for Windows 8.

If it does change, just buy the regular, full installation DVD.

What is hard to understand here?

windows home server 2011 is build 8800; obviously MS avoided to use 8800 as win8 RTM.

WHS 2011 doesn't use the version 6.2 of the kernel. How can you confuse 6.1.8800 with 6.2.8800 ?

See my post above. THERE WILL BE FULL INSTALLATION DVDs - albeit at a higher price than $40.

You've been complaining about having been banned from various Windows-related fora. I'm not surprised at all by it... the patience Neowin staff have with you is admirable.

No I am not going to download the retail version of Windows 8 from the Internet. Because I don't want to give my debit card details online. I am going to buy my copy of Windows 8 from the shops if they have it. But I read that won't be until October.

And I don't want an upgrade key for an upgrade install.I want to buy a Windows 8 full installation CD, if they make it. If not then I will just have to buy an upgrade CD. Andrea Borman.

OK, do whatever you think appropriate. :D

WHS 2011 doesn't use the version 6.2 of the kernel. How can you confuse 6.1.8800 with 6.2.8800 ?

I didn't avoid using 8800 for win8RTM, just suggested the possibility why MS avoided it. :)

See my post above. THERE WILL BE FULL INSTALLATION DVDs - albeit at a higher price than $40.

Ah,now I understand. So what that shopkeeper told me was wrong. When he said you could only buy upgrade DVDs of Windows 8. That is what started the whole worry. And it was not made clear on many posts on the web. Andrea Borman.

No Andrea, it was made perfectly clear in the near ~20 replies I've seen where people have told you exactly that.

I think we've found out how to make you notice something though, we need to post it in really big letters.

Don't know sometimes I feel Andrea likes to troll with long boring replies which all basically say the same thing. So I tend to skim through or totally ignore the post.

+1 I've trained my brain to just glide over her posts. I just wish people stop replying to her.