Xbox 360 LIVE Beta enrollment now open for 2012 Fall update

beta xbox xbox 360

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#46 Touchadowns

Touchadowns

[witty title]

Posted 28 July 2012 - 15:31

Am I the only one who didn't see IE? I looked real quick after the update but I didn't see it anywhere.

It's an App, you have to download it from the app section

#47 OP George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 28 July 2012 - 15:39

It's an App, you have to download it from the app section

Yeah it doesn't show up in the app section, is it US only or something stupid like that? Since i'm not in the US my list of apps is very very limited.

#48 Touchadowns

Touchadowns

[witty title]

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:38

Yeah it doesn't show up in the app section, is it US only or something stupid like that? Since i'm not in the US my list of apps is very very limited.

It's a known issue, it's been posted in the support forum and the Xbox Team is aware of it.

#49 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:08

I take it now that it's installed, any updates will show up for it. I hope. Hopefully Flash and ActiveX will come soon.
Other than that, I just love the changes. And IE performs incredibly.

#50 Ryoken

Ryoken

The Other Other White Meat

• Phone: iPhone 4S, Nexus 7, iPad Mini

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:06

I take it now that it's installed, any updates will show up for it. I hope. Hopefully Flash and ActiveX will come soon.
Other than that, I just love the changes. And IE performs incredibly.

Hoping for Flash is bad, but understandable..
Hoping for ActiveX.. no.. just no..

#51 AWilliams87

AWilliams87

Neowinian

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:50

I thought you all agreed to a NDA when you signed up? Odd.

#52 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 04 August 2012 - 18:46

Hoping for Flash is bad, but understandable..
Hoping for ActiveX.. no.. just no..

Well without flash and active x the browser is pretty much useless.

#53 what

what

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:06

Yeah it's impossible to find a website that doesn't entirely depend on either of them.

#54 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:19

Plenty

Plenty of people browse the web on their iPhone/iPad without missing Flash.
Flash will NEVER make it to the XBOX browser in my opinion.

Although it's not something i'll really find myself doing, i'm glad the option to browse the web has been added to the XBOX.

#55 what

what

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 August 2012 - 16:42

I took the liberty to count just how many adverts I'm getting on this dashboard preview. I counted 31. Doesn't that seem a bit excessive for a console menu? You can't even say they're targeted - I don't play CoD or Halo anymore and I've never played Mass Effect 3.

#56 Lucas

Lucas

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2012 - 19:43

Is there any way to get in the beta of this at the moment? Or just wait for it to go public?

#57 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 13 August 2012 - 20:39

I took the liberty to count just how many adverts I'm getting on this dashboard preview. I counted 31. Doesn't that seem a bit excessive for a console menu? You can't even say they're targeted - I don't play CoD or Halo anymore and I've never played Mass Effect 3.

It is quite ridiculous. Not sure why I even bother paying for a Gold subscription honestly, you would think being a paid subscriber means not having to be bombarded by ads.

Including the ads, It really is incredibly quite cluttered when all is said and done. Not the most intuitive IMO either. If not for the ability to pin things, I would really dislike it. I much prefer the simplicity and minimalism of XMB, and even that has a little to many ads for my taste, but still nowhere near as much as this latest dashboard (if dashboard is indeed what it is still called).

Now keep in mind, I am pretty old school with my needs from gaming consoles. I need them to play games and stream videos, in that order. Any other additional functionality I either hardly ever use or do not use at all. So all this other **** like search and browse the web and be shown things I may also like based on what I have played, pretty much useless from my perspective. Really would have loved to see the ability to just have a streamlined simplified version of the interface just to fit my needs. Perhaps it is there and I have not discovered it yet. For now I have the pin ability which kind of resolves my issue with everything else.

#58 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 14 August 2012 - 19:35

It is quite ridiculous. Not sure why I even bother paying for a Gold subscription honestly, you would think being a paid subscriber means not having to be bombarded by ads.

Including the ads, It really is incredibly quite cluttered when all is said and done. Not the most intuitive IMO either. If not for the ability to pin things, I would really dislike it. I much prefer the simplicity and minimalism of XMB, and even that has a little to many ads for my taste, but still nowhere near as much as this latest dashboard (if dashboard is indeed what it is still called).

Now keep in mind, I am pretty old school with my needs from gaming consoles. I need them to play games and stream videos, in that order. Any other additional functionality I either hardly ever use or do not use at all. So all this other **** like search and browse the web and be shown things I may also like based on what I have played, pretty much useless from my perspective. Really would have loved to see the ability to just have a streamlined simplified version of the interface just to fit my needs. Perhaps it is there and I have not discovered it yet. For now I have the pin ability which kind of resolves my issue with everything else.

Pinning is a missed opportunity as it stands in the beta. If I pin a game and use that to launch it - the stupid thing opens the marketplace page of the game instead of launching it. It takes 3 "clicks" to launch a game i.e. home 1> my pins 2> game 3> play_now
That is just ridiculous and useless. There is also their continued neglect of system video/music/photo players :/ they can't be pinned (or show up in recent) for some arbitrary reasons. I use them extensively and it is just plain irritating.

#59 OP George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 14 August 2012 - 21:32

I don't count the "game suggestions" as ads. I guess some would but to me that's some useful information, taking the games I've played into account and showing me something that's the same that I might like. I'm all for that type of info on my dashboard.

#60 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 14 August 2012 - 22:15

I don't count the "game suggestions" as ads. I guess some would but to me that's some useful information, taking the games I've played into account and showing me something that's the same that I might like. I'm all for that type of info on my dashboard.

I thought I was never bothered by those gaming-related ads but I find my usage as jumping around ads(all kinds) to get to stuff that I need.

The very routine things I do such as start/join a party, read messages, check who is online etc. are buried behind multi-level menus (either the blade-guide or the social tab) and out of the 9 tiles on the Home screen only 3 are useful to me (one of them is stupid as I posted above).
They need to re-do the whole dashboard layout to improve navigation, the latest update is nothing but a mess.
One more example is that there are two kinds of music players to play music from a PC on the network depending on where you start. That is just bad design.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!