Early 'Jony' iPhone 4 render shows Sony design influence

And that article as well as the firts one both indicate what I first thought I read.

Not disputing that. Just giving more info on what Samsung is talking about.

Clearly the 'Sony' reference was a metaphor used to imply 'sleek, modern, clean'. Nothing to do with 'Copy sony'.

Sony is a synonym for sleek, modern, and clean? Maybe back then. You're right though, this isn't a Sony copy. Sounds like the assignment was for the designer to channel his 'inner Sony', in much the same way that people draw inspiration from Apple today.

Kind of a weird assignment to give to an employee, and even weirder that he put a Sony logo on it. It would be like if Microsoft told the employees designing Surface "OK, go design a tablet... imagine you work for Apple", and the Microsoft employees came back with the Surface design with an Apple logo on the back...

Exactly.. Apple ripped off Sony completely! That Sony prototype looks identical to iPhone.

Except, according to the very articles, the Jony is a APPLE designed prototype from the early days of the iphone. It was designed by the first iPhone designers to look like Sony devices. Except I don't see any sony devices, certainly not from 2004 and 2006 that looks like it.

so what where you saying again ?