Photo

iCLOUD poll for mac users...

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: iCLOUD poll for mac users...

I use icloud for .....

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Bad Booster

Bad Booster

Evil Mastermind

• Phone: iPhone 5 16GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, iPad 2 16GB WiFi

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:31

This.

Gmail will always be my mail of choice.

What Singh Saab said.

#17 Elliott

Elliott

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 02 August 2012 - 14:19

I used its email for a time, but switched over to Gmail so I could get some more advanced server-side mail filtering.

I still use iCloud's calendars because they offer the most fluid experience when coupled with Calendar on iOS and OS X. Also, shared reminders lists are awesome.

#18 anthdci

anthdci

Neowinian

Posted 02 August 2012 - 14:24

i like google for my email, contacts and calendar. Use iCloud for match, and notes.

#19 John.

John.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 August 2012 - 14:28

iCloud is ridiculously useful. I use it for Calendars, Reminders and Contacts on a daily basis.

#20 Damian

Damian

Posted 02 August 2012 - 16:14

Everything except iTunes Match.

#21 Steve B

Steve B

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 August 2012 - 16:34

I use iCloud for all. However, I'm beginning to regret that decision. iCloud's email system is a joke. iCloud's server has its own junk filtering system which you have NO control over. Emails that are CONSTANTLY marked as NOT junk keep randomly getting put into the junk folder...causing me again to have to login into icloud.com and again mark it as not junk. The OSX Mail app has its own junk filtering mechanism which I prefer to use since I can control it. However, I can't because the server still uses its own and its the server that is giving me issues. I've called Apple a few times regarding this and they are completely useless. What really sucks is that my iCloud email is my Apple ID and since Apple WON'T merge IDs, I'm can't switch email addresses because I'm not willing to jug two email addresses for Apple devices....one for email and another for my App Store/iTunes purchases. Then, notifications/PUSH randomly doesn't work on iOS devices. Also, once read on the iPhone or iPad, the status is NOT pushes to the other devices. Same with Mac OSX, you read email there and its NOT pushed to iOS devices. As soon as we are able to merge Apple IDs...if ever, I will switch my email, calendar and contacts away from iCloud...assuming Apple doesn't do any major upgrades to the platform.

Sorry for the soap box moment guys....I had to vent. :-/

#22 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 August 2012 - 18:42

Answer : Everything. It works seamlessly, I thought this feature would be useless when it came out, but I couldn’t get away from it now that I have it across my iPhone, iMac and MacBook Pro.

#23 OP BoDEAN

BoDEAN

REDHead

• Phone: Iphone

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:52

i like google for my email, contacts and calendar. Use iCloud for match, and notes.

Thats about what I'm using for my setup. Trying out icloud calendar (been a long time google calendar guy) but not noticed any +/- over it vs google calendar.

#24 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:03

Contacts, Calendar, Reminders, and iTunes Match: iCloud
Documents: Dropbox/Skydrive
Email: Gmail

I periodically import my iCloud contacts into my Google Contacts for convenience, but iCloud has my master list. Tried keeping them in sync and never worked very well. I do sync my iCloud contacts with Outlook 2010 at work. I use the iCloud website at work. I like it alright.

I think that the whole iCloud thing would be dynamite if they included 3rd party apps in the web interface. It would be a really nice touch to have an app (lets say a Journal app) that had an iOS app and iCloud web interface and accessed the same data. Seems like 3rd party apps could just slip right into the interface with the way iCloud greets you with a row of icons.

#25 OP BoDEAN

BoDEAN

REDHead

• Phone: Iphone

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:15

Contacts, Calendar, Reminders, and iTunes Match: iCloud
Documents: Dropbox/Skydrive
Email: Gmail

I periodically import my iCloud contacts into my Google Contacts for convenience, but iCloud has my master list. Tried keeping them in sync and never worked very well. I do sync my iCloud contacts with Outlook 2010 at work. I use the iCloud website at work. I like it alright.

I think that the whole iCloud thing would be dynamite if they included 3rd party apps in the web interface. It would be a really nice touch to have an app (lets say a Journal app) that had an iOS app and iCloud web interface and accessed the same data. Seems like 3rd party apps could just slip right into the interface with the way iCloud greets you with a row of icons.

Haven't seen that approach before. Figured Contacts/Email would be run by the same service.....

#26 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:55

Haven't seen that approach before. Figured Contacts/Email would be run by the same service.....

Most of my contacts are phone contacts. I have some email addresses in there. I don't really use email with friends and family. Either phone number or talk via Facebook.

I had some annoyances with Google Contacts back when I first was setting up my iPhone 3GS to sync. Something about all of the suggested contacts being included and that was annoying.

I think I tried it and decided that Apple's MobileMe (at the time) was better for my needs.

#27 CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:33

Backup + iTunes Match

#28 Elliott

Elliott

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:10

I do the same thing Shadrack does. Because I don't use the Gmail web interface at all, it doesn't inconvenience me. Plus, iCloud's contact syncing is way better than Gmail's.

#29 Bad Booster

Bad Booster

Evil Mastermind

• Phone: iPhone 5 16GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, iPad 2 16GB WiFi

Posted 05 September 2012 - 13:47

Ever since ML came out iCloud has multiplied its usefulness many times over. I use it to Sync my contacts over to my iPhone/iPad (was possible with Lion too), use it to sync & store simple notes (Text Edit), Images (mostly flowcharts via preview) & maintain some very frequently accessed Spreadsheets & Presentations (via iWork).

If your data is not too sensitive, then this is definitely the future.

#30 Elliott

Elliott

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 September 2012 - 13:57

Ever since ML came out iCloud has multiplied its usefulness many times over. I use it to Sync my contacts over to my iPhone/iPad (was possible with Lion too), use it to sync & store simple notes (Text Edit), Images (mostly flowcharts via preview) & maintain some very frequently accessed Spreadsheets & Presentations (via iWork).

If your data is not too sensitive, then this is definitely the future.

I agree. I've been using iCloud's document storage (especially in iWork and Byword) a lot since Mountain Lion's release. I still prefer Dropbox for storing/syncing the majority of my files, but I do appreciate how seamless iCloud is.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!