Help me pick a new Audi

Which Audi should I get?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which Audi should I get? Model overview below

• 2013 Audi A7
    • 2013 Audi S5
    • 2013 Audi A6
    • Don't waste your money! Your current car is awesome!

I currently have 2010 A5 2.0L Turbo Quattro Premium Plus, navigation with camera, sport package with 19" wheels, Bang & Olufsen 550W 14 speaker sound system.

25372_420661357787_6059402_n.jpg

25372_420661037787_3753488_n.jpg

and I need to pick a new Audi to replace this one and I need to start thinking about it so I can custom order the new one but I'm undecided on which one to get. Important to note is that I really really love my 2010 A5. It's very quick, still turns heads and is absolutely immaculate.

So below are models I'm considering but just skipping the new cars this type around (for at least next 3 years) and keeping my current car is also an option. I can't say I would be miserable. The car now currently has less than 10k miles on it after almost 3 years (I don't drive that much).

2013 Audi A6 TFSI

Following configuration:

• 3.0 TFSI? Premium Plus: Eight-speed Tiptronic? automatic transmission with quattro? all-wheel drive
  • 310 hp @ 5500 rpm - 325 lb-ft. @ 2900 rpm
  • 0-60: 5.3 sec
  • Brilliant Black

• Eight-way power front seats, Leather seating surfaces, Black leather

• 20" Sport Package

• Brushed Aluminum inlays

• BOSE? Surround Sound with 13 speakers and noise compensation AudioPilot?

• Xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running light technology

• Parking system plus with rear view camera

• Audi MMI? Navigation plus (eight-inch display, voice control, and a user-friendly touchpad that can recognize ordinary handwriting, letting you enter destinations and phone numbers with ease. The system includes CD and DVD compatibility, dual SD memory card slots, and BLUETOOTH? streaming audio*, while Audi connect? adds news, weather, local fuel prices, Google? Local Search, Google Earth? satellite imagery, and a Wi-Fi Internet hotspot for up to eight passengers? electronic devices.*)

• Audi advanced key

• HD Radio? Technology

20111229231820-bd43ca39.jpg

20111229231848-28186cf4.jpg

20111229231823-47a96ec3.jpg

20111229231825-8354bf3c.jpg

2013 Audi A7

Following Configuration:

• 3.0TFSI V6 engine

• 310 hp @ 5500-6500 RPM

• 325 lb-ft. @ 2900-4500 RPM

• 0-60: 5.4 sec

• Phantom Black Pearl Effect

• 20" Sport Package

• Brushed Aluminum inlays

• Audi parking system plus

• Audi MMI? Navigation plus with voice control system ( 8" high-resolution full-color LCD screen that emerges from the dash upon vehicle ignition. Groundbreaking MMI? touch includes a revolutionary touchpad that interprets handwritten inputs, while dedicated radio preset buttons can be programmed for commonly used stations. The latest generation of MMI control logic is powered by a 40-GB hard drive and an NVIDIA? processor to enhance graphics. This generation MMI offers a color driver information system, 3-month trial subscription to both SiriusXM Satellite Radio and SiriusXM Traffic, and 3D topography graphics that include the buildings in many cities and the crystal clear digital AM and FM sound of HD Radio? Technology with over 1,000 new stations. Also included is voice control for navigation and telephone functions.)

• Audi connect?

20111229234629-a8f4e630.jpg

20111229234632-82dae571.jpg

20111229234349-d96ac8a9.jpg

20111229234348-4bb2eabd.jpg

2013 Audi S5

Following configuration:

• 3.0 TFSI? Premium Plus: Seven-speed S Tronic? transmission with quattro? all-wheel drive
  • 333 hp @ 5500 rpm - 325 lb-ft @ 2900 rpm
  • 0-60: 4.9 sec
  • Brilliant Black
  • Eight-way power S5 sport front seats with integrated headrests and four-way power lumbar adjustment Alcantara? Black/
  • Xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running light technology
  • Audi MMI? Navigation plus with voice control system (seven-inch screen, voice control, CD and DVD compatibility, and dual SD memory card slots. New features for 2013 include BLUETOOTH? streaming audio and Audi connect?, which adds Google? search and Google Earth? map overlays to help you explore your destination and plan ahead. It can also provide news, weather, and local fuel prices, and serve as a Wi-Fi Internet hotspot for up to eight electronic devices.*)
  • 19" 5-segment-spoke design 255/35 summer performance tires
  • Bang & Olufsen? Sound System with 14 speakers and 505 watts Dolby Digital 5.1
  • Audi advanced key

20120510142306-65cd1ee2.jpg

20120510142300-2eaaa78d.jpg

20120510142244-a5fd4217.jpg

20120503231327-e7c8f40c.jpg

No offence but people who drive A5's are usually tw@'s! But thats in UK and dont know where you live.

Out of looks and praticality I'd get the A6, I find the A7 to a bit low down for me, as in heat space. I am 6ft something though.

So A6 for me.

The only problem I see for you is going from Bang & Olufsen to BOSE will be like going from digital to analogue, BOSE is amazing, but not as good as Bang & Olufsen.

So for that reason you might have to get the S5 if you care for sounds etc.

Are these on lease? Just seems odd that you'd be buying it considering your car atm is fully capable :)

But to be honest the Audi A6 isn't too bad of a car, and it also doesn't look bad and can fit 4 grown up adults unlike the Audi A7.

Source - Myself, I own the 2011 version of this and tested the Audi A7 at about the same time period.

Hi, Boz!

They are all great including yours!

If you love your A5, then the most logical path for upgrade is the S5. You'll get the same car in a better, newer, and much more powerful package. Which headlights (new/old) do you like more?

The A7 Sportback is much roomier and longer than the A5. Drive it first to be sure you don't feel out of place in it. I don't know about you, but I can foresee some people having problems with parking when going from A5 to A7.

In short, if you don't need the extra space, if you drive alone 90% of the time just going to and back from work and the other 10% you are with ONE passenger which means you practically don't need the rear row of seats, then stick with the coupe :)

Additionally, given the same engine, the S5's dynamic is better than that of A6 and A7 because it's a smaller and lighter car and the engine is chip-tuned to produce a bit more HP.

Finally, the last bit to consider is that S5's suspension and steering are stiffer compared to A6/A7. I'm not saying one is better than the other - it's just a matter of personal preference.

p.s. how about an S7? I'd pick her if I could pull it financially :D

If you don't care about fuel economy, go for the S5. That V8 sounds glorious :)

Except the new S5 has a V6 (with a compressor). It's quite efficient too (8.9 litres/100 km on average).

or you could go for the Skoda Yeti !!!!!

personally i wouldnt get a car, why not buy something else? or go somewhere?

Keep the current audi and save the cash for something nicer later :)

If you don't care about fuel economy, go for the S5. That V8 sounds glorious :)

only a v6 for the 2013

All three are beautiful choices but they are different class cars. What are your wants? Just looks?

only a v6 for the 2013

All three are beautiful choices but they are different class cars. What are your wants? Just looks?

True, you want a V8? Get the RS5 :)

I lease my cars.. every 3 years.. it's more cost efficient for me because I deduct lease on my business so the car essentially ends up nothing for me. It's not financially justifiable for me to buy a car because it's pure waste of money.

So right now I have a choice. Get a new Audi for 3-4 years or pay off what I have left on my A5 and drive it though I'll end up paying higher taxes.. I'm leaning towards getting a new car for this reason alone.

I'd be going for the S5. The two door coupe layout is much nicer imo. And it'll be set up a bit more sporty, I think the A6/A7 will be aimed more towards comfort/luxury, which isn't why I'd be after.

It's not financially justifiable for me to buy a car because it's pure waste of money.

Have you compared buying a car through financing and owning it for 6+ years vs doing two or three lease terms?

At head-to-head "battle", lease vs financing for the same short term, lease wins, hands down. But you need a car for longer than that and that's why I think it's a waste of money to lease. It's the same principal with rent vs mortgage. (Why throw your money away every month and make your landlord rich when you can be building your own equity?) That's why I purchase my cars, keep them for 6+ years, and overall I save quite a lot and I still have residual value at the end.

I'll be upgrading my 2006 A4 soon (I'm going for the new A4 :D). I stopped paying for it's financing three years ago which means I've had the three previous years of free ride! and that's the money I've found a better use elsewhere ). And on top, it's still got a nice residual value (about 35% of its total cost) which I'm gonna use as trade-in.

Have you compared buying a car through financing and owning it for 6+ years vs doing two or three lease terms?

At head-to-head "battle", lease vs financing for the same short term, lease wins, hands down. But you need a car for longer than that and that's why I think it's a waste of money to lease. It's the same principal with rent vs mortgage. (Why throw your money away every month and make your landlord rich when you can be building your own equity?) That's why I purchase my cars, keep them for 6+ years, and overall I save quite a lot and I still have residual value in the end.

I'll be upgrading my 2006 A4 (I'm going for the new A4 :D). I stopped paying for it's financing three years ago which means I've had the three previous years of free ride! and that's the money I've found a better used elsewhere) and it's still got a nice residual value (about 35% of its cost) which I'm gonna use as trade-in.

Unfortunately it is a waste of money because my lease is deducted from my taxes. I file the lease as company expense so in the end my car turns out pretty much free (well shouldn't theoretically 100% free but it's very significant) to drive. It's not really a matter of how long you own it. When I buy a car, I can't deduct the payments because it's really my property and I could theoretically buy it on a company name but there are complications with that approach. Leasing a car is absolutely the best way for me. I like driving new cars as well.

If I didn't have a business and didn't need to worry about taxes and write-offs I would probably not even drive an Audi. I would drive a cheaper car.

Makes sense?

Also, leasing a car as an individual is NOT good practice at all. You are right there.. That's where you equation comes in logically and you are completely right. You are much better off owning the car.

I'll tell you this.. if I get an S5, I will probably lease it for 42 months. Definitely a car I will want to keep for longer time.

Yeah it comes down to business vs individual tax deductions and ones desire to drive new every couple of years ;)

I like owning my stuff, especially something as intimate as a car :) And I like to mod them which is impossible with a lease.

So, go for which ever model you like! You have a chance to try them all out within a decade or so! :D

I'll tell you this.. if I get an S5, I will probably lease it for 42 months. Definitely a car I will want to keep for longer time.

(Y) (Y) (Y)

Yeah it comes down to business vs individual tax deductions and ones desire to drive new every couple of years ;)

I like owning my stuff, especially something as intimate as a car :) And I like to mod them which is impossible with a lease.

So, go for which ever model you like! You have a chance to try them all out within a decade or so! :D

Totally true..

I still modded my 2005 A6 when i got it back in the day like tinting windows and new wheels and stuff that I get to keep after I return the car. But owning definitely gives you freedom to mod the crap out of it.

One of the advantages when I'm getting a lease is that I get to load the hell out of it right from Audi. So in the case of new choice (be it A6 or S5 or A7) I will custom order it from Audi with all the choices and exactly to my liking, so I feel less inclined to mod the car overall.

Totally true..

I still modded my 2005 A6 when i got it back in the day like tinting windows and new wheels and stuff that I get to keep after I return the car. But owning definitely gives you freedom to mod the crap out of it.

One of the advantages when I'm getting a lease is that I get to load the hell out of it right from Audi. So in the case of new choice (be it A6 or S5 or A7) I will custom order it from Audi with all the choices and exactly to my liking, so I feel less inclined to mod the car overall.

Yeah, I'm the same. In order for a car to last me 6 years, I need a zero-compromise solution, so I get them fully loaded too and then chip-tune them and etc.

Yeah, I'm the same. In order for a car to last me 6 years, I need a zero-compromise solution, so I get them fully loaded too and then chip-tune them and etc.

Nice.. Audis run and look sick modded.

Nice.. Audis run and look sick modded.

Yeah, but I'm not actually a fan of exterior modding. I like the original looks, although I fancied the idea of buying a Hoffelle kit to make my A4 look like the original RS4 lol.

I like under the hood mods, like installing a better turbo, cutting out the catalyst and installing a new pipe, and upgrading the chip :woot: - anything that gives more power lol

3.0 TFSI is my favourite engine now, it's got so much potential, and it shines the best in S4/S5.

well i voted for "save your money" option before reading your post about the business expense. in that case, i'd choose the S5.