Photo

Help me pick a new Audi

audi new car

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Audi should I get?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Which Audi should I get? Model overview below

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 OP Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• 7,454 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 19:03

I lease my cars.. every 3 years.. it's more cost efficient for me because I deduct lease on my business so the car essentially ends up nothing for me. It's not financially justifiable for me to buy a car because it's pure waste of money.

So right now I have a choice. Get a new Audi for 3-4 years or pay off what I have left on my A5 and drive it though I'll end up paying higher taxes.. I'm leaning towards getting a new car for this reason alone.

#17 what

what

Neowinian Senior

• 7,494 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 19:48

I'd be going for the S5. The two door coupe layout is much nicer imo. And it'll be set up a bit more sporty, I think the A6/A7 will be aimed more towards comfort/luxury, which isn't why I'd be after.

#18 +zhiVago

zhiVago

Pax Orbis

• 9,318 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:48

It's not financially justifiable for me to buy a car because it's pure waste of money.

Have you compared buying a car through financing and owning it for 6+ years vs doing two or three lease terms?

At head-to-head "battle", lease vs financing for the same short term, lease wins, hands down. But you need a car for longer than that and that's why I think it's a waste of money to lease. It's the same principal with rent vs mortgage. (Why throw your money away every month and make your landlord rich when you can be building your own equity?) That's why I purchase my cars, keep them for 6+ years, and overall I save quite a lot and I still have residual value at the end.

I'll be upgrading my 2006 A4 soon (I'm going for the new A4 :D). I stopped paying for it's financing three years ago which means I've had the three previous years of free ride! and that's the money I've found a better use elsewhere ). And on top, it's still got a nice residual value (about 35% of its total cost) which I'm gonna use as trade-in.

#19 OP Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• 7,454 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:55

Have you compared buying a car through financing and owning it for 6+ years vs doing two or three lease terms?

At head-to-head "battle", lease vs financing for the same short term, lease wins, hands down. But you need a car for longer than that and that's why I think it's a waste of money to lease. It's the same principal with rent vs mortgage. (Why throw your money away every month and make your landlord rich when you can be building your own equity?) That's why I purchase my cars, keep them for 6+ years, and overall I save quite a lot and I still have residual value in the end.

I'll be upgrading my 2006 A4 (I'm going for the new A4 :D). I stopped paying for it's financing three years ago which means I've had the three previous years of free ride! and that's the money I've found a better used elsewhere) and it's still got a nice residual value (about 35% of its cost) which I'm gonna use as trade-in.

Unfortunately it is a waste of money because my lease is deducted from my taxes. I file the lease as company expense so in the end my car turns out pretty much free (well shouldn't theoretically 100% free but it's very significant) to drive. It's not really a matter of how long you own it. When I buy a car, I can't deduct the payments because it's really my property and I could theoretically buy it on a company name but there are complications with that approach. Leasing a car is absolutely the best way for me. I like driving new cars as well.

If I didn't have a business and didn't need to worry about taxes and write-offs I would probably not even drive an Audi. I would drive a cheaper car.

Makes sense?

Also, leasing a car as an individual is NOT good practice at all. You are right there.. That's where you equation comes in logically and you are completely right. You are much better off owning the car.

I'll tell you this.. if I get an S5, I will probably lease it for 42 months. Definitely a car I will want to keep for longer time.

#20 +zhiVago

zhiVago

Pax Orbis

• 9,318 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:02

Yeah it comes down to business vs individual tax deductions and ones desire to drive new every couple of years ;)

I like owning my stuff, especially something as intimate as a car :) And I like to mod them which is impossible with a lease.

So, go for which ever model you like! You have a chance to try them all out within a decade or so! :D

I'll tell you this.. if I get an S5, I will probably lease it for 42 months. Definitely a car I will want to keep for longer time.

(Y) (Y) (Y)

#21 OP Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• 7,454 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:08

Yeah it comes down to business vs individual tax deductions and ones desire to drive new every couple of years ;)

I like owning my stuff, especially something as intimate as a car :) And I like to mod them which is impossible with a lease.

So, go for which ever model you like! You have a chance to try them all out within a decade or so! :D

Totally true..

I still modded my 2005 A6 when i got it back in the day like tinting windows and new wheels and stuff that I get to keep after I return the car. But owning definitely gives you freedom to mod the crap out of it.

One of the advantages when I'm getting a lease is that I get to load the hell out of it right from Audi. So in the case of new choice (be it A6 or S5 or A7) I will custom order it from Audi with all the choices and exactly to my liking, so I feel less inclined to mod the car overall.

#22 +zhiVago

zhiVago

Pax Orbis

• 9,318 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:13

Totally true..

I still modded my 2005 A6 when i got it back in the day like tinting windows and new wheels and stuff that I get to keep after I return the car. But owning definitely gives you freedom to mod the crap out of it.

One of the advantages when I'm getting a lease is that I get to load the hell out of it right from Audi. So in the case of new choice (be it A6 or S5 or A7) I will custom order it from Audi with all the choices and exactly to my liking, so I feel less inclined to mod the car overall.

Yeah, I'm the same. In order for a car to last me 6 years, I need a zero-compromise solution, so I get them fully loaded too and then chip-tune them and etc.

#23 OP Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• 7,454 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:20

Yeah, I'm the same. In order for a car to last me 6 years, I need a zero-compromise solution, so I get them fully loaded too and then chip-tune them and etc.

Nice.. Audis run and look sick modded.

#24 +zhiVago

zhiVago

Pax Orbis

• 9,318 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:26

Nice.. Audis run and look sick modded.

Yeah, but I'm not actually a fan of exterior modding. I like the original looks, although I fancied the idea of buying a Hoffelle kit to make my A4 look like the original RS4 lol.

I like under the hood mods, like installing a better turbo, cutting out the catalyst and installing a new pipe, and upgrading the chip :woot: - anything that gives more power lol

3.0 TFSI is my favourite engine now, it's got so much potential, and it shines the best in S4/S5.

#25 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,077 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 13:16

well i voted for "save your money" option before reading your post about the business expense. in that case, i'd choose the S5.

#26 peacemf

peacemf

T Fizz - now with more bubbles!

• 2,881 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 14:05

so what did ya get in the end?

if you're still choosing why not go for something that isnt a audi?

#27 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,659 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 04 August 2012 - 14:13

Have you considered other German cars - like Mercedes Benz or BMW or even Porsche? For the money, I'd go with an Mercedes Benz E550 Coupe, even though it's slightly more expensive than an S5. BUT, you do get a V8 and a boat load more power than the S5 (almost rivals the RS5). Plus, Audi's lack one major thing - torque! Horsepower is great to have, but torque is where you have all the fun. Trust me - my car (CLS 63) puts a smile on my face ever time :D

Anyways, if I had to get something in your list, I'd go with the S5, but definitely a used one - V8 > supercharged V6

#28 OP Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• 7,454 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 22:35

I think it's going to be S5.. I am going to test drive them all soon.. but I think it will be S5..

Hopefully some of my business ventures pay off before the end of the year so I might end up with RS5 instead.. we'll see.

#29 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,659 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:47

I think it's going to be S5.. I am going to test drive them all soon.. but I think it will be S5..

Hopefully some of my business ventures pay off before the end of the year so I might end up with RS5 instead.. we'll see.

Tell me you're getting a used one with a naturally aspirated v8! Definitely skip the new S5, and get the RS5.

#30 OP Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• 7,454 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 14:47

Oh yes! I will wait.. this is without a doubt the thing I was waiting for.. the pricing is not out of this world either compared what you get.. though I have to agree with the article.. the RS5 should have gotten the twin turbo V8. Still this whip will be AMAZING

The RS5 arriving to US. It will be $69k

http://www.autoblog....ed-from-68-900/