• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 jnelsoninjax

jnelsoninjax

A custom title? Cool!

• 7,559 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Exhibit SGH-T599N

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:01

Staff at a McDonald's in Croatia allegedly carried on selling burgers despite the fact a customer had dropped dead in front of the counter.

After efforts to revive her failed, the woman was instead propped up in the corner of the restaurant and had a napkin placed over her head as workers continued to serve other customers, it has been claimed.

The woman, thought to have died of a suspected heart attack, had complained of feeling unwell just moments after going inside the fast food restaurant in the southern town of Sibenik.

She collapsed at the counter and, despite emergency services being called, doctors were unable to revive the Bosnian woman, who lived in Denmark but had been visiting the area.

Staff have been criticized after they carried on serving drive-through customers after she was declared dead.

Croatian media reported that the body was in the restaurant for an hour-and-a-half before a mortuary car arrived to remove it.
Read More

#2 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,339 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:11

To be honest, I'm not sure I see a problem here. If people wanted to be served - whether they knew about the situation or not - then what is the problem? The human body may have started to decompose (since technically it starts from the moment you're no longer around) but not to a level of a health and safety risk.

However, if someone did know about the situation and still felt hungry afterwards...that's another story.

EDIT: Oh, and I do feel sorry for the old lady, obviously. Imagine your last breath being in a McDonalds...that's no way for anyone to go.

#3 Biohead

Biohead

Neowinian

• 636 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:23

Likewise Intrinsica.

Staff have been criticized after they carried on serving drive-through customers after she was declared dead.

So the restaurant area itself was closed - just the drive through open? Don't see the issue here. Plus I hardly see them leaving the body propped up in the kitchen... right next to the fries.

And so what if the body was around an hour and a half? What else are they to do until the mortician arrives to pick the body up? Throw it out in the bins?

#4 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,039 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:37

As stated, the restaurant area was closed off and there was no legal obligation to close the store. Really the fault lies with emergency services for leaving the body there for such a long period of time. Most importantly, this isn't corporate policy - this was an individual decision by a store manager who wouldn't have received training to deal with such a situation.

#5 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

• 13,211 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:42

They didn't show any disrespect to the deceased or to health and safety by continuing to serve. A business's profits shouldn't have to suffer due to unfortunate, tragic events, if they can continue to operate.

#6 The Laughing Man

The Laughing Man

Neowinian Senior

• 2,964 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:45

I see no wrongdoing in this what so ever.

#7 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• 1,860 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:47

She was obviously dying for a macca's!

#8 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

Mississippian by birth and by choice

• 12,944 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 13:02

Only in America..... oh, wait.... oops

On another note, why didn't the emergency services people take her body with them? That would be standard practice here. They would attempt CPR on site, then load her into the ambulance and take her to the hospital to continue attempts to revive her. They certainly wouldn't have just left her sitting on the restaurant floor.

#9 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

• 22,400 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 13:05

She died....they tried to help her and called for the proper people to come pick her up. I really don't see the problem

#10 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,339 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 13:10

On another note, why didn't the emergency services people take her body with them? That would be standard practice here. They would attempt CPR on site, then load her into the ambulance and take her to the hospital to continue attempts to revive her. They certainly wouldn't have just left her sitting on the restaurant floor.

I think the article means that when she initially dropped employees attempted to revive her, then moved the body while they waited for the emergency services to arrive.

#11 WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Neowinian Senior

• 3,916 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 13:15

Surely they should have continued in the attempt to revive her until the ambulance arrived?
CPR generally doesn't revive someone, but what it does do is allow some oxygenated blood to be circulated through the body as kind of a stopgap until more qualified help can arrive. It buys you time. Giving up is essentially just leaving her to die.

Edit:
Apologies. I read the story as if the employees had tried to revive her while waiting for the ambulance but gave up before the ambulance arrived. Reading the story a bit more, looks like I'm wrong.

#12 daniel_rh

daniel_rh

Daniel R. H.

• 1,456 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIV i9500

Posted 27 July 2012 - 13:17

This news must be sponsored by Subway or any other food chain :shiftyninja:

#13 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 13:21

WTF? You guys see nothing wrong them continuing to serve food with a dead body in the restaurant??
:|

#14 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

Mississippian by birth and by choice

• 12,944 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 13:25

I think the article means that when she initially dropped employees attempted to revive her, then moved the body while they waited for the emergency services to arrive.

Nope, it distinctly talks about two different events: emergency services being called and being unable to revive her, then the mortuary car coming by an hour and a half later to take her body away.

She collapsed at the counter and, despite emergency services being called, doctors were unable to revive the Bosnian woman, who lived in Denmark but had been visiting the area.

Croatian media reported that the body was in the restaurant for an hour-and-a-half before a mortuary car arrived to remove it.

WTF? You guys see nothing wrong them continuing to serve food with a dead body in the restaurant??
:|

The body was in an area completely removed from the food preparation area and where they were serving food (the drive-up window). It isn't as if she died of some infectious disease, she died of a heart attack. I see no problem here at all. Emotion vs. reason.

#15 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,339 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 13:30

Nope, it distinctly talks about two different events: emergency services being called and being unable to revive her, then the mortuary car coming by an hour and a half later to take her body away.

Oh yeah, good point. Maybe the doctors didn't arrive by ambulance? I know here doctors have smaller, speedier cars to drive around in. You couldn't load a body in to the back of them without it looking disrespectful.

WTF? You guys see nothing wrong them continuing to serve food with a dead body in the restaurant?? :|

Nope, why should it? As I've already said, the body wasn't there long enough for it to be a health and safety issue, and if the customers at the drive-through were unaware of the fact that there was a dead body in the building and wanted to eat then what's the issue?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!