2 HIV patients free of virus after bone marrow transplants

THURSDAY, July 26 (HealthDay News) -- Following bone marrow transplants, two men infected with HIV no longer have any traces of the AIDS-causing virus in their lymphocytes, researchers report.

Lymphocytes are a type of white blood cell and are a key part of the immune system.

The U.S. researchers suspect that bone marrow transplantation along with continuation of antiretroviral therapy resulted in the dramatic effects evident eight months post-transplant. They are scheduled to present these preliminary findings Thursday at the International AIDS Conference in Washington, D.C.

HIV patients on antiretroviral therapy often achieve "undetectable viral loads," meaning there are no virus particles in their blood. But they still have latent HIV in their lymphocytes, and if antiretroviral therapy were discontinued, the latent HIV could reactivate.

But having no traces of HIV in these white blood cells is an indication that this "reservoir" of latent HIV may have been eliminated, the researchers believe.

"Eliminating the reservoir is the key to the cure," said Pahwa. She also stressed that it would only be possible to say these patients were "functionally cured" if the virus did not rebound when the patients went off antiretroviral therapy.

At this point, they are far from saying these patients are cured. But the findings are "exciting," said Dr. Savita Pahwa, director of the Center for AIDS Research at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, who was not involved with the study.

more

They need to hurry up with a cure, im tired of buying condoms. :)

I kid, but i do hope someone cures this and cancer. Im sick of hearing everyday someone getting aids or cancer, it's like the common cold anymore.

I kid, but i do hope someone cures this and cancer. Im sick of hearing everyday someone getting aids or cancer, it's like the common cold anymore.

The common cold has no cure either.

u can't cure cancer

Afaik sniffing pepper in the very early stages of the cold minimises the effects it has.

u can't cure cancer

How can you not cure cancer? Cancer = cells that do not die, radiotherapy = using radiation to alter them so they can't split apart and die, that is a cure.

lol

Ah well sounds like a nice step forward and another path for them to go down in finding a cure.

Cancer is the mutating of cells, you can't cure it.

Cancer is the mutating of cells, you can't cure it.

Cancer is the uncontrolled division of cells resulting in a malignant growth. And there is one animal that, in fact, seems to be immune to cancer, being the naked mole rat.

Good news but how do we know this will work in all cases?

I guess you'd need to do a lot of very painful bone marrow transplants.

Apparently HIV is so persistent because it hides in the bones.

The common cold has no cure either.

i am under the impression that the common cold cant be cure because its a new infection each and every time. I am not sure but don't think Cancer and HIV doesn't morph into something different. There is certain strands of if it and that's it.

^ What does the vodka do -- sterilize your throat ? :laugh:

It gets the germs drunk, so they are too busy partying to make you feel like crap, and then while they're distracted, the white blood cells bust in like the immune system police and break up the party and kill them all. (Y)

It gets the germs drunk, so they are too busy partying to make you feel like crap, and then while they're distracted, the white blood cells bust in like the immune system police and break up the party and kill them all. (Y)

That was amazing! lol

It sure would be great if they could find a cure for AIDS... It's a really horrible disease.

i am under the impression that the common cold cant be cure because its a new infection each and every time. I am not sure but don't think Cancer and HIV doesn't morph into something different. There is certain strands of if it and that's it.

HIV does change...

This is really true? I'm so gonna test that...