Things you

Things you?ve bought, that were all that and MORE!

It?s happened to all of use at one time or another. You are really looking forward to something. You save your money, you buy it and once you actually have it, you use it a few times and you get tired of it. Or the product didn?t live up to your expectations.

Then there are products you look forward to, and when you actually buy one it is just as awesome and you ever imagined and more.

For me personally, I wish more products would exceed my expectations. First let me give you a list of things I?ve bought, which sounded cool at the time but started to collect dust shortly thereafter.

iPad (I still use it but not a lot)

Acer w500 Windows touch pad for Windows 8 (This is a prime example of something I was really looking forward to, but then gets hardly any use.)

Dreamcast ( I got 2 dreamcasts off craigslist for about $40) I think I played it once.

Now on to the list of things, that were ALL that and MORE!

Olevia 42 inch TV ? I bought it back in 2006, yes it?s that old. After doing months of research I finally pulled the trigger. It is still the TV I use today. From Day 1 the tuner was ASS, took forever to change channels, but my main reason of getting it was to use it as a very large computer monitor for watching TV. It?s been working great since.

Label Printer : I always thought it would be cool to be able to print labels. So I bought a Dymo 450 Turbo label printer, and have used the CRAP out of it ever since.

Document scanner; I always wanted a document scanner so I could scan in bills and other things and turn them into PDF. This is also something I use the Crap out of!

LCD Arm for next to my couch. ? I always thought it would be cool to put an LCD arm next to my couch and mount a 20 or 24 inch monitor onto it so it can swing to the side of me as I watch TV. OMG, this is one of the best thing?s I have bought this year. I LIVE on my couch now. I can?t image life without it.

IPKM Switch ? For years I have been dreaming about how awesome it would be to be able to sit up stairs and watch TV while I?m waiting for a spinrite scan to complete on a computer down stairs, all the while watching the scan from my couch via an IPKVM switch. So I recently got one at the beginning of the year. (You can find my review of it in the review section). This is one of those products that exceeded my expectations. Where the product is not only as good as I thought it would be, but better!

iPod Nano 4th Generation ? Personally this is one of the best iPods that Apple has ever made. I use the CRAP out of it. So much so, that the lock button hardly ever works anymore. This isn?t really anything I had high hopes for, but it was bought to replace my 2nd gen. But I can?t image life without it.

iPod touch 4th gen (god rest it's soul!). I used it all the time, but then it felt the wrath of the washing machine *sad face*. I miss that little guy!

Metro Vacuum Ed500 DataVac - I recently bought this because the price of cans of air were crazy. So I bought this on amazon, and it is the most fantastic thing ever for blowing out computer hardware. I use the Crap out it.

So now it?s your turn. Tell us which stuff you?ve bought, that was a dud and stuff you bought that was all that and MORE!

Nike minidisc mp3 player, when I saw it I was like "OMG" so small ( this was before the iPOD craze),

it was a POS, it used a pair of double a batteries, which lasted 2 hours TOPS! it wouldn't even finish playing the whole content within the minidisc... I don't even remember what I did with it my memory just blocked it out :p

PHIACT400.PNG?WID=175&QLT=67&CNT=1.1&FTR=3&COLORCALIBRATION=1.7&CVT=jpeg

Mini screwdriver kit, bought it to take the back off a watch 5 years ago and since then I've used it on countless pieces of tech. Soooo handy for unscrewing things inside a cramped computer.

Windows Phone. I had an iphone, after that i got a blackberry and after that tried android. Just didn't have that "i actually love what i bought" feel. I got a Windows Phone and now i can never go back.

First Mac computer which was a powerbook in 2005, i didn't expect it to turn me into a full mac convert, i only expected to use it for some photo stuff.

iPad, didn't really expect too much from it but it really blew me away with it's versatility

Xbox 360, i have brought consoles over the years but only the SNES was one i played a lot, that was until the 360. I love the controller, selection of games and achievements, it blew my expectations as it replaced my PC as the primary games machine. I still have my PC but all games are brought on the 360 with some like TF2 and strategy remaining on the PC.

iPhone, knew it was good but couldn't believe how good it was, i used to go through phones (get bored / annoyed) every 6 months. The iPhone has been the first series of phones where i have been completely satisfied with it enough not to want another phone.

Canon EOS 350D, it was a powerhouse and blew away what i expected from a camera. I still have it although im sure the shutters worn out as sometimes the pictures come out blurred (through no fault of my own).

my Jawbone UP Band, got it to monitor some light stuff but it's amazing how it drives you to walk futher and to beat targets, really recommended

The first thing to come to mind are my Sennheiser HD 590 headphones. I've worn these headphones to the point that the foam is falling apart and the speakers are becoming exposed. They simply sound amazing.

My Nintendo DS Lite. There were a few games I played too much, including Trackmania and Elite Beat Agents.

I used to have a little LED flashlight (made for a keychain, though I never attached it to my keys). I used it lots, until the battery finally died.

It's summer time. Fruit flies are getting inside the house. It annoys the hell out of me when they fly right by my ear. The fly swatter is quickly becoming a favorite tool of mine.

• Like 1

Dell 3008WFP - Was blown away but the size and resolution at first and now have had it for years, got it at a great price and it has travelled with me in all the cities I've moved.

HP NL36 - The little microserver that can! When these are on the cheap you are not a techie if you dont pick one up (nb: nl 40 is the newest model.)

PS3 - Actually this one wasnt all that and more at first but over the years this phat bugger has proven itself as always exceeding expectations of the uses I find for it.

Viparo leather jacket - wasn't sure I could pull it off but love this thing.

A*Men Pure malt - Pricey but get it at a good price and worth every penny in compliments received.

Dust collector:

Dell XT - The last Tablet PC...I've been through a few of the tablets over the years and this was the last attempt. I should probably ebay it at some point and get some dollars while I can but for now it sits in the graveyard of technology cupboard.

iPad first generation (Had to sell it a year ago, now replaced by a third generation one)

iPhone 4s - My first iPhone, best phone I've ever used.

Beats by Dr Dre (Please, keep your opinions to yourself, I didn't ask nor I care about them)

Fujifilm x100 - The best camera I've ever used, love it to death. Too bad that digital cameras get obsolete very fast :( I will replace it someday with a Fujifilm x1 pro or maybe a Leica M9

My current 27 inches iMac. The screen on this is awesome.

My Levi Strauss black leather boots.

My Eberlestock Gunslinger 2 backpack best 340+ dollars I spent on a backpack. Can carry all my camping equipment and a rifle with me. Both my 27" monitors, I can't go back to just one. my Canon T3 DSLR its not the higher end T3I but I've token some amazing photos with it and people have used my photos as posters to hang in their offices and used one of my pics of my pitbull for a big banner to hang over a window of a business advertising for a pet photography seminar in New Orleans. My Mosin Nagant best 100 dollars I ever spent to own an old Russian rifle that shoots pretty accurately, that's fun, love shooting it.

I LIVE on my couch now. I can?t image life without it.

Sorry war, but, that's kinda sad :/

- MacBook Pro. On 24 hours a day for almost 4 years. Battery is on 714 cycles and still get over three hours of use from it. It still pretty much looks like it did the day I got it, minus a few dents. In that same period we've gone though two HP laptops, an Asus laptop and an Acer laptop. We currently have a Samsung laptop that had a battery die after 7 months and Samsung refused to replace it. They also refused to sell me one and it took me weeks find one and it cost a fortune.

- Xbox 360. First console I've brought since the Sega Mega Drive 2. Also own a PS3 and a Wii and am not sure of when the last time the Wii got turned on, and the PS3 is mostly a blu-ray player, only used to play a couple of exclusive games.

- Nokia Lumia 700. Not quite the model I wanted (I wanted the 800) but it was a good price. For me WP7 is the best mobile OS.

I once purchased Bluetooth earbuds on a whim since they were on sale, and even though they were still expensive (?99ish instead of ?149ish) they are utter crap. The connection is a bit unstable and they make everything sound like crappy MP3's.

Thompson Center Hawken .50 cal muzzleloader. I've had her for 41 years and she's still a pleasure to shoot and look at (burl walnut stock & brass fittings.) I call her LadyHawk :)

JVC HDTV - works great, looks great.

iPhone 4 / iPad 2 - they donwhat I wanted and more. What more could you ask? iPad is even headed to space on some of the coming commercial spacecraft.

Dodge Grand Caravan x2 - Both 2000's. we followed the maintenance schedule by the book, used only the recommended fluids and have >200,000 miles on both. Everything still works, and they get good mileage. (and yes, we have newer vehicles.)

Sony BR decks with net connectivity, streaming plugins & USB ports. They did it right. They play MP4, MKV, MPG etc. files on USB devices, and view most common image formats.

Logitech Mouseman, purchased in 1993. Lasted until 2001. One of the first ergonomically shaped mice on the market.

logitech-mouseman_msp1.jpg

• Like 1

Xbox - I only got the original Xbox as it could be modded to run XBMC, it really did blow me away at the time such a small box could stream all this media from my PC, play all these great emulators from console generations gone by, all from the comfort of the sofa. I must have used it most days for well over 6 years. I still have it hooked up now although for media playback its been replaced with an Acer Revo Nettop PC which runs XBMC for playing 1080p content.

Xbox 360 - I only ever got this because the homebrew scene on the original Xbox was so big, i expected it to be hacked pretty quick and to see a version of XBMC capable of playing 1080p video. Sadly that never happened and its not really until this year it got a homebrew media player. However something happened, i actually got hooked on using the Xbox 360 for gaming, something i never expected to. I loved the idea of achievements, it was nice been able to just load a game and play online with friends who were much less technical and didn't have gaming PC's. Almost since the day i got it ive been hooked, achievements are addictive, the whole xbox live system with headsets is great, with a universal friends list and cross game chat it was all just so easy. I never thought a console would convert me from been a PC gamer, however ive just got hooked on the whole Xbox experience and find many of the exclusive games a lot of fun.

Apple Keyboard for my PC - I've tried MANY chiclet style keyboards and after paying ?40 for the Aluminium keyboard about 3-4 years ago its still going strong and the most comfortable keyboard I've ever had.

My new 24" monitor has just arrived (Acer S240HLbid). Originally I was going to go for the 27" so I was worried when I decided to go with the 24" as I thought it would be too small but blimey I am impressed, perfect!

Thick rubber bands. Cheap and they work just as well as a hard drive silencing kit. Very impressed.

Oh and of course, my favourite mouse of all time, even better than my old mx1000 (which broke and was replaced 3 times within 3 years), my Logitech RX1500. I don't know what I'm going to buy when this thing stops working.

• Like 1

lol I got my first and only pair of Ray Bans in 2009 lost them 3 times dropped on a hard surface 2 times and even has a small chip on the rim. Not a scratch on them and they still look new. I have not bought any pair of shades since.

2003 hyundai elantra lol I know. Got it in 2004 with 12k miles for $6,000 has 130k and still gets great gas mileage. Also a lifetime AD Muncher license. lol still blocking all ads from 2008.

30" Dell Monitors - These are so good I bought three. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

iPhone - Any model of iPhone really it's a great product with a huge app library that just keeps enabling new ways for you to use it.

Logitech Harmony One Universal Remote - This is probably the ultimate universal remote (although Logitech have a great iPad and iPhone app now with a Bluetooth to Infrared beamer that they sell).

MacBook Pro - I'm now on my 4th Apple notebook and each revision they just keep getting better. I've had this one for over 3 years now and it still looks like it just came out of the box, the keys haven't rubbed away, there is no oil degrading the touch pad (as it's a high quality glass and not plastic) even the anodised aluminium still looks as good as the day it came. These things just last and last.

Those are my four main products I've bought that have been great purchases that I would recommend to anybody.

Beats by Dr Dre (Please, keep your opinions to yourself, I didn't ask nor I care about them)

Sorry, can't... I can't believe someone opinionated like you, would go down that road ! :shifty:

Sorry, can't... I can't believe someone opinionated like you, would go down that road ! :shifty:

What can I say? Love the sound, love the design. You know I've always loved industrial design.

My Eberlestock Gunslinger 2 backpack best 340+ dollars I spent on a backpack.

That backpack is awesome. I'm a sucker for army-quality backpacks like this or Goruck. Always dreamed to get one of these and travel my country by foot.

What can I say? Love the sound, love the design. You know I've always loved industrial design.

Love the sound? :wacko: oh well, to each is own... I will agree with you on the design, i'm guessing you bought the cup sized ones? because if you're talking about the IEM, then I want what you're smoking!