• Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 01 August 2012 - 21:29

I've got v.1 the broadcom chipset.

#17 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 01 August 2012 - 21:36

I've got v.1 the broadcom chipset.

Can't see it on their list, but if its anything like DD-WRTs list it might not have been updated

Are you running a custom firmware now ?

DD-WRT is supported
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com...19519/broadcom/

Instructions
http://www.dd-wrt.co...Linksys_WRT350N

#18 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 01 August 2012 - 21:43

DD-WRT is clunky. I tried both the latest and stable builds and it was shaving off 30Mbps from my maximum connection speed. Their team seems to be sitting back counting donations giving people false hope of their new router being supported. I even sent them a couple routers to them in Germany and here we are a year later and still no word back from them or support for the routers I sent.

I decided to give Tomato a go and never really looked back since.

#19 BlueScreenOfDeath

BlueScreenOfDeath

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 August 2012 - 21:46

Can't see it on their list, but if its anything like DD-WRTs list it might not have been updated

Are you running a custom firmware now ?

DD-WRT is supported
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com...19519/broadcom/

Instructions
http://www.dd-wrt.co...Linksys_WRT350N

Yea actually runnin the most recent build from 7/20 i wanted to try Tomato to see if it's better but i want to be sure its supported.

#20 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 01 August 2012 - 22:16

Yea actually runnin the most recent build from 7/20 i wanted to try Tomato to see if it's better but i want to be sure its supported.

Yea, I'd do a bit of research, maybe ask on their forums, its not fun de-bricking a router :p

#21 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 02 August 2012 - 00:35

I've always been a DD-WRT user and still want to be but the support for my E4200 and newer features (Broadcom in general) seems to be lacking lately. I still checked even now after seeing this thread to see what's been going on and still slow/nothing. I slapped Tomato USB Toastman build on there recently and that thing is flying with more features working than what was offered with DD-WRT. I definitely get faster WLAN to LAN speeds as i've copied files and done tests and it's a big difference, I'd see 12MB/s LAN to WLAN but now that's 30MB/s! WLAN to LAN was always in the 25MB/s range but now that's also 30MB/s :)

IPv6 stuff for those that care or have it (mainly Comcast in the USA) will know that it works too and works great i'm told. DD-WRT doesn't have IPv6 support really, definitely not DHCPv6-PD!

#22 BlueScreenOfDeath

BlueScreenOfDeath

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:10

I've always been a DD-WRT user and still want to be but the support for my E4200 and newer features (Broadcom in general) seems to be lacking lately. I still checked even now after seeing this thread to see what's been going on and still slow/nothing. I slapped Tomato USB Toastman build on there recently and that thing is flying with more features working than what was offered with DD-WRT. I definitely get faster WLAN to LAN speeds as i've copied files and done tests and it's a big difference, I'd see 12MB/s LAN to WLAN but now that's 30MB/s! WLAN to LAN was always in the 25MB/s range but now that's also 30MB/s :)

IPv6 stuff for those that care or have it (mainly Comcast in the USA) will know that it works too and works great i'm told. DD-WRT doesn't have IPv6 support really, definitely not DHCPv6-PD!

Yea for them being at sp2 i would expect more features to be implemented. They support a wide range of routers but feature wise they need to be updating them and making them stable... seems like Tomato is similar in that department..not a lot of motivation to really push for updated better features.

#23 spiritv2

spiritv2

Neowinian

Posted 02 August 2012 - 20:21

Well i installed tomato for this Asus rt-n66 but what can I say, I miss dd-wrt so if anyone can confirm dd-wrt supports all the features of this router (I.E transmission, nas, etc) I may go back. Gonna google it in the meantime.

#24 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 02 August 2012 - 21:01

I would suggest you stick with Tomato. it's faster and has a far better(read working) QoS system that is also easy to set up and manage.
Also it's menu system is't a horrible mess.

#25 Grinch

Grinch

Developer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 02 August 2012 - 21:05

Switched to Toastman (mod of Tomato), very happy so far. Works very well with my Linksys E2000 in comparison to DD-WRT.

#26 Walid W.

Walid W.

https://nabz0r.info

Posted 03 August 2012 - 18:18

Mine is from 1/12/08 if it works why worry. I haven't rebooted or had a problem since forever.

Same here, I haven't rebooted mine since I installed DD-WRT (2 years or a little more), but I guess I am gonna have to do so, I lost the password which is never happened before. lol

#27 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 August 2012 - 18:36

Is the original Tomato still being developed as I see a lot of forks. Which is the best?

#28 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 03 August 2012 - 18:45

This Tomato sounds interesting, but my DD-WRT router has been so rock solid I don't want to mess with it, really.

One question about Tomato:

Are there options to force particular connections (by MAC address preferably) to ONLY use OpenDNS for DNS look ups? I like how with DD-WRT I can force a few connections on OpenDNS (like the DirecTV and XBox as well as the kid's iPods and stuff) while the others default to my ISPs. I have to add entries to iptables in dd-wrt to get this functionality and would like a user friendly approach.

#29 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia 920

Posted 03 August 2012 - 18:48

I too dropped DD-WRT a few years ago and have since moved to Tomato. Tomato USB slowed down releases as well, but its stable as all be.

#30 joe_banana

joe_banana

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:59

Ran DD-WRT for a months but QOS is quite buggy on my dir300, guess you have to pay? to get decent QOS so went to Gargoyle(OpenWRT) and everything is great except for a slower boot time but it got the best QOS out there and Active Congestion Control is an online gamer's best friend.

Another I have noticed is DD-WRT rude mods which turned me off.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!