• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#31 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:21

none of the alt. fw supports my WGR614..... might upgrade soon for USB print sharing.... so sick of people having to have me mess with networking crap everytime they wanna print cuz for some reason it screws up all the time. PRINTERS ARE EVIL!!!!

#32 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:48

just buy a HP wireless printer like the cheap 3070, cheap and simple and just works on wireless unless most wireless printer brands

#33 Guest_LiquidCrystalMeth_*

Guest_LiquidCrystalMeth_*

Posted 13 August 2012 - 13:13

I have a Linksys WRT54G2 which only DD-WRT seems to support, so guess whats on it

Its currently being used as a wireless bridge (or wireless extender if you like - so easy to set up its not funny), its insanely stable regards data transfer and i havent rebooted it, or even looked physically at it since it was installed 6 months ago. Also dont understand why people whine about the GUI, straight forward if you know what youre doing. Ive seen worse on a Netgear :)

To be honest i havent, nor do i think i will, looked at updating the firmware, it just works, why fix something that aint broken

#34 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 17:44

just buy a HP wireless printer like the cheap 3070, cheap and simple and just works on wireless unless most wireless printer brands

is it better then kodak?

#35 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 August 2012 - 17:49

Probably, we don't have Kodak printers here, didn't even know they made them, I'm guessing they're a relabeling OEM maker, meaning it's most likely a HP/Canon anyway. And besides bad time to buy anything Kodak :)

#36 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 17:56

I have a kodak allready... but mom bought it for me x-mas 2010. that's the printer I raged about in the printers are evil thread. LOL

#37 SoCalRox

SoCalRox

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2012 - 19:29

Note to self: You like DD-WRT and DD-WRT likes you, DO NOT flash alternate firmware ever again.
--

That took far too long to remember the TFTP commands to unbrick

For future reference (when I brick it next time)

PuTTY > update code.bin > command prompt > tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put code.bin

That's why I don't try these. I'm not comfortable enough- same thing with ROMs for my phones. Hope you're back in business with that router.

#38 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 August 2012 - 20:38

Ran DD-WRT for a months but QOS is quite buggy on my dir300, guess you have to pay? to get decent QOS so went to Gargoyle(OpenWRT) and everything is great except for a slower boot time but it got the best QOS out there and Active Congestion Control is an online gamer's best friend.

Another I have noticed is DD-WRT rude mods which turned me off.

Talking about the good QoS I thought this was a quality firmware I could try on my WRT610v1 that doesn't support TomatoUSB. Then I went to their site, and looked at some screenshots, and realized they even managed to make the DD-WRT interface look good, and they're QoS is just a poor mans copy of Tomato, and since I use my main WRT610v2 with tomato as the actual internet router I don't need to put this crap on it for the QoS.

why would you voluntarily put that thing on a router....

Still looking for a good replacement for DD-WRT then, since this router randomly seizes all communication with everything for a few seconds when playing TSW, and at some other times.

#39 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 13 August 2012 - 21:18

That's why I don't try these. I'm not comfortable enough- same thing with ROMs for my phones. Hope you're back in business with that router.

Yea I was back in business with it before I posted that method, I knew I could unbrick it because it used to be a locked down samknows router and I had to unlock it the same way originally

#40 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 01 January 2013 - 13:59

New DD-WRT firmware released (01-01-2013-r20453)

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/01-01-2013-r20453/

#41 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 01 January 2013 - 14:04

If your router is supported, you should give it a try. You may never come back to DD-WRT :p

And when you use pfSense you'll never go back to home routers running custom firmware. :p

#42 CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 01 January 2013 - 14:14

Yeah pfSense is the king of routing distributions; but then it runs on x86 hardware so what do you expect? :D

I use mine in an ESX Environment.

#43 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows Embedded Standard 8 & Server 2012/08 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 01 January 2013 - 14:20

IOS > DDWRT, Look at Cisco's end of life Aironet access points and routers which are now in the $200 price range online.

Still light-years ahead of consumer crap

#44 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 January 2013 - 14:29

And when you use pfSense you'll never go back to home routers running custom firmware. :p

hmm a nice little Linksys WRT610 on my kitchen wall that barely uses any power and does everything I need at full speed allows me full control of the network. or a big computer box with either a rear antenna that gets blocked by the case or a big antenna mounted higher on the wall with a wire, oh and I also need an extra switch for the wired equipment.

yeah, why wouldn't I want the pfsense solution...

IOS > DDWRT, Look at Cisco's end of life Aironet access points and routers which are now in the $200 price range online.

Still light-years ahead of consumer crap

And I'd still take a nice home router on my kitchen wall running Tomato over that.

#45 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 01 January 2013 - 14:33

hmm a nice little Linksys WRT610 on my kitchen wall

I have the WRT160NL

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!