is the project dead?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#46 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 01 January 2013 - 14:59

hmm a nice little Linksys WRT610 on my kitchen wall that barely uses any power and does everything I need at full speed allows me full control of the network. or a big computer box with either a rear antenna that gets blocked by the case or a big antenna mounted higher on the wall with a wire, oh and I also need an extra switch for the wired equipment.

yeah, why wouldn't I want the pfsense solution...

If your hole network is based around crappy Wi-Fi speeds, then yes, pfSense is not for you.

You also complain about having an antenna on the wall with a wire, but insist on mounting a router on your kitchen wall...
and I'm pretty sure my little AMD E350 doesn't use that much power.

#47 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 01 January 2013 - 15:10

Hmm.. that was weird, I believe I specifically mentioned my wired network as well.. you know like the wire that goes from the router to my media bench, where I have my HTPC/Server, networked BD/surround receiver, networked satellite tuner, Xbox 360, and a TV and WiiU connected over wireless. Then I have another wire going upstairs to my second WRT 610 (got it free) that's used as an upstairs Access point, and a switch for the computers and devices on the second floor office/computer room.

All this with a nice anonymous looking 610 on my kitchen wall right above the ADSL modem.

As opposed to the PFsense alternative which would be Modem+big ugly computer box on the floor+ wired antenna on the wall.

to give me the same performance as my 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz 610 I would in fact need two wireless cards and two antennas on the wall. and then I wouldn't get the range and performance of the excellent Linksys MIMO antennas.

Also, as for Crappy WiFi speeds. well I have an two N networks on both 5 and 2.4 Ghz, and this copies as fast as the HDD's in the computers can handle anyways for internal network speed, as for internet speeds, the N network is faster in any case.

#48 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

Posted 01 January 2013 - 15:20

I guess you're right and I'm wrong. (can't be arsed to argue with you over the Internet to be fair)
DD-WRT > pfSense... after all, it's the size that counts. Who wants a HUGE big ugly ITX box standing on the floor.

And for the record, I'm not a mind reader... but thanks for sharing with us your network as a hole.

#49 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 January 2013 - 15:30

learn to write whole properly, hole is something completely different, the first time I figured it was a typo, but twice...

I never said it was the size that counts, but I guess you didn't actually read my post, what a surprise.

#50 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

Posted 01 January 2013 - 15:33

Learn to write pfSense properly. Learn to start a sentence with a capital.

See where this is going?

#51 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 100
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 01 January 2013 - 15:36

"big ugly computer box on the floor"

What?? Who says your router has to be "next" to the modem? And who says it has to be big? Here is a case for 3 nic alix board, its 6.5x6x1 inches -- thats smaller than you 610 ;) (2.6 x 12 x 10 inches)

smallpfsense.png

You clearly have some sort of box "I have my HTPC/Server" That box could be a VM host and pfsense could run in a VM - which just a wire from your modem.. Why you would have your modem in the kitchen is beyond me in the first place.

Your "router" could be where ever you want it to be - to say they have to be in the kitchen is crazy talk, or that they have to big big boxes?? I run multiple machines, my NAS and my router (pfsense) and its all on a N40L that is only 10.5" x 8.3" x 10.2" -- which is also smaller than your router ;) Just a bit thicker ;) It has 4 drives in it currently and only uses like 55 watts. Have it plugged into my killawatt so lets see has used in the last 6392 hours, 358Kwh -- what is that 266 days, and I pay about 12.5 cents per kwh so your talking 17 cents a day roughly to run my NAS, my router and all my play VMs - ubuntu, centos, freebsd, w7, 2k8, w8, etc. etc..

Your router might be able to do everything you want it to do - but sorry its not up to what I like to do on my network. The gateway/firewall between your network and the public internet has little to do with a wireless network. That you want to combine them into one simple little box with few actual networking features -- happy for you. But if looking for wireless coverage and speed - then that hangs off your wired network as AP, not also providing gateway/firewall/nat functions, etc.. Their little cpu/memory not really up to much of anything really.

But sorry it does not have to be a big box, nor does it have to be a power hungry box, nor does it have to sit next to where your modem is -- in your case the kitchen.

BTW - this thread is from jul/aug 2012 ;)

#52 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 01 January 2013 - 15:40

Yea, lol I just posted about the new DD-WRT firmware released today rather than make a new thread

#53 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 January 2013 - 15:50

"big ugly computer box on the floor"

What?? Who says your router has to be "next" to the modem? And who says it has to be big? Here is a case for 3 nic alix board, its 6.5x6x1 inches -- thats smaller than you 610 ;) (2.6 x 12 x 10 inches)

smallpfsense.png

You clearly have some sort of box "I have my HTPC/Server" That box could be a VM host and pfsense could run in a VM - which just a wire from your modem.. Why you would have your modem in the kitchen is beyond me in the first place.

Your "routers" could be where ever you want them to be - to say they have to be in the kitchen is crazy talk, or that they have to big big boxes?? I run multiple machines, my NAS and my router (pfsense) and its all on a N40L that is only 10.5" x 8.3" x 10.2" -- which is also smaller than your router ;) Just a bit thicker ;) It has 4 drives in it currently and only uses like 55 watts. Have it plugged into my killawatt so lets see has used in the last 6392 hours, 358Kwh -- what is that 266 days, and I pay about 12.5 cents per kwh so your talking 17 cents a day roughly to run my NAS, my router and all my play VMs - ubuntu, centos, freebsd, w7, 2k8, w8, etc. etc..

Your router might be able to do everything you want it to do - but sorry its not up to what I like to do on my network. The gateway/firewall between your network and the public internet has little to do with a wireless network. That you want to combine them into one simple little box with few actual networking features -- happy for you.

But sorry it does not have to be a big box, nor does it have to be a power hungry box, nor does it have to sit next to where your modem is -- in your case the kitchen.

I have my modem router in the kitchen because where it's place is a nice anonymous place, it's the input point for the house, AND it's the centerpoint of the first floor, meaning form there I get full coverage of the whole house. While I could have it in the HTPC. I'd rather have my internet up and going all the time, even when that one is down for maintenance and updates/upgrades, especially since it's sort of not feeling all to well in general.

And even if a mITX box could be smaller, it wouldn't be as anonymous, it would cost significantly more since I already have this 610 that performs as well as the other box would, the other box still would require the antennas and no MIMO.

I can do everything I need on my home network, it doesn't need to be managed like a corporate network. As it is I could run the 610 as a fileserver, NAS and even a torrent downloader as well, but that stuff is handled by my media center anyway.

and the date of the OP is kinda irrelevant, I don't check the dates of the OP, I reply to posts that pop up in the new content. btw with your box, I would still need an extra switch.

#54 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

Posted 01 January 2013 - 15:54

That box could be a VM host and pfsense could run in a VM

but I guess you didn't actually read my post, what a surprise.

#55 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 January 2013 - 16:03

so you still didn't.

#56 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 100
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 01 January 2013 - 16:03

"I would still need an extra switch."

Says who?? For starters I would move your modem out of your kitchen - you don't have a switch where your other wired devices are located? So no extra from what I can tell.

Glad your happy with your setup - I have no desire to get you to move away from what your happy with. My point of commenting in this thread was your nonsense that pfsense or any other gateway/router distro has to be some big box thing. Which is just not true at all.

#57 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 January 2013 - 16:41

Why would I move my modem out of my kitchen, that's where my main and only phone line hookup is, and as I said, the point where it's mounted is in an anonymous and little visible corner of the kitchen, which also happens to be the center point of the house. moving it would be, inefficient.

Well to compare with my 610, it would have to be a bigger box. Unless you can find me a box that's as small as my 610, with 6 NIC's and 2 wireless transceivers with powerful MIMO antennas.

#58 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 01 January 2013 - 17:04

DD-WRT has nightly builds right?

I wish the DD-WRT team would just release a "stable" release of SP2. Its about time they do it

#59 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 01 January 2013 - 17:12

DD-WRT has nightly builds right?

I wish the DD-WRT team would just release a "stable" release of SP2. Its about time they do it

No nightlys that I know of, I think you can compile them yourself (maybe / unsure)

Usually about 1 a month lately, sometimes more

There are a load of stable builds, just have to try a few until you find one that your router likes

18777 was very stable for me, as is 20119 I have running atm, haven't flashed this latest build yet

FTP has all the builds, ignore their router database, its out of date
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/

#60 DPyro

DPyro

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 January 2013 - 17:24

I like the customization you can do with the styles in tomatousb

Posted Image