White Baptist church bans black wedding

A black couple in Crystal Springs, Mississippi says that a predominantly white Baptist church refused to let them get married because of their race.

Charles and Te?Andrea Wilson told WLBT that the day before they were to be married, the pastor of First Baptist Church of Crystal Springs informed them the ceremony would have to be moved due to the reaction of some white church members ? even though the couple had attended the church regularly.

?The church congregation had decided no black could be married at that church, and that if [the pastor] went on to marry her, then they would vote him out the church,? Charles Wilson explained.

?He had people in the sanctuary that were pitching a fit about us being a black couple,? Te?Andrea Wilson added. ?I didn?t like it at all, because I wasn?t brought up to be racist. I was brought up to love and care for everybody.?

Dr. Stan Weatherford, the church?s pastor, was forced to perform the marriage at another church after he was taken by surprise by his congregation?s outrage.

?This had never been done before here, so it was setting a new precedent, and there are those who reacted to that because of that,? Weatherford said. ?I didn?t want to have a controversy within the church, and I didn?t want a controversy to affect the wedding of Charles and Te? Andrea. I wanted to make sure their wedding day was a special day.?

Church officials said they would hold meetings to decide what to do if another non-white couple wanted to use their facility in the future. They insisted that all races were welcome at the church.

more

wow, they do know it's 2012 right?

Sounds like some people need to die quickly and make room for the people who are not stuck in the 1800s

As proud as I am of my state, there are always a few morons who spoil it for the rest of us. I'm not at all surprised that this was in Crystal Springs. It is the very definition of a small town (think of Mayberry, and you've got a pretty good impression of it), and whites are actually the minority there. My wife has some family there, but I don't think they attend that church.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Springs,_Mississippi