Olympics opening ceremony: US media reacts to 'peculiar' British fe

Nonsense. It demonstrated British creativity, musicality, humour and literature, as well as political struggles and cultural evolution. It highlights that British culture is very adaptive and fluid, rather than being dictated by a written constitution.

The UK accepts that while it once had a vast and powerful empire that its current political situation is dramatically different. Our history isn't considered shameful, hence why it was broadcast to billions of people around the world. The Roman Empire used to span the globe but Italy doesn't go around pretending that it still owns the world.

If other countries don't understand what it is to be British then that's their problem but don't try to claim that British people don't know what it is to be British.

Then why did that history get given a brief 15-20 minute intro, then we went on to modern times playing music like we were in a club? I don't see as much problem with the content, it's the timing of them. The history part which was beautifully performed and had an actual theatrical feel to it was given the intro, and seemed rushed through, then when we got to the entire place bouncing to music with projectors playing tv shows and hundreds of people dancing, we focused on this for WAY too long. It lost it's grand theatrical feel and turned into a nightclub feel. I'm sorry, but that part was terrible. It had it's highlights, but it drug on far too long. I wanted to see more about the great history of the country like in Bejing. Also, I understand the internet part due to Tim Berners-Lee and how much our world has turned to that now, but that could have been 5 minutes and done, not these silly status updates like you invented Facebook and cell phones.

The olympics is a bigger stage than that. The entire world is looking, and their focus was way off in my opinion.

Then why did that history get given a brief 15-20 minute intro, then we went on to modern times playing music like we were in a club? I don't see as much problem with the content, it's the timing of them. The history part which was beautifully performed and had an actual theatrical feel to it was given the intro, and seemed rushed through, then when we got to the entire place bouncing to music with projectors playing tv shows and hundreds of people dancing, we focused on this for WAY too long. It lost it's grand theatrical feel and turned into a nightclub feel. I'm sorry, but that part was terrible. It had it's highlights, but it drug on far too long. I wanted to see more about the great history of the country like in Bejing. Also, I understand the internet part due to Tim Berners-Lee and how much our world has turned to that now, but that could have been 5 minutes and done, not these silly status updates like you invented Facebook and cell phones.

The olympics is a bigger stage than that. The entire world is looking, and their focus was way off in my opinion.

The music bits were showcasing the excellent music Britain has produced and the genres it had created, And I'd guess the social networking was to show what the WWW has done and how people are now all connecting completing the evolution of Britain from when it started earlier in the evening with people working in the fields..

It was ok, nothing special to keep my attention so it was just quick glances while doing other things. Mary Poppins, Bond, Mr. Bean... really? My freind said there was a bit of Harry Potter also.

A big giant Voldemort sparking his wand. It was pretty neat and lots of others in dark costumes.

jeffisgr8t-2172605.jpg?w=620&h=413

There WAS a tribute to them.. It was done at the opening of the Olympic Village.

ok i take it back. didnt know.

Why do people feel the need to just because 40 years is a nice round number? NBC cutting out the 7/7 tribute though is pretty disgusting.

agree that NBC was disrespectful but should we really get into this terrorist attack on us was bigger than terrorist attack on you thing?

Then why did that history get given a brief 15-20 minute intro, then we went on to modern times playing music like we were in a club? I don't see as much problem with the content, it's the timing of them. The history part which was beautifully performed and had an actual theatrical feel to it was given the intro, and seemed rushed through, then when we got to the entire place bouncing to music with projectors playing tv shows and hundreds of people dancing, we focused on this for WAY too long.

The history wasn't rushed at all and was designed to show the progress of the UK from a rural nation, through industrialisation and cultural revolution before moving into the digital era. As for the music, it moved through the years and decades and was used as a backdrop for other cultural references, like the TV shows projected on the central column. Music represents an important part of British culture - especially modern culture - and deserved to be a highlight. More importantly it's music that people here regularly but don't necessarily associate with Britain.

It lost it's grand theatrical feel and turned into a nightclub feel.

It wasn't meant to be entirely theatrical. It was meant to showcase different aspects of British culture.

Most people disagree with that assessment but you're perfectly entitled to your opinion.

agree that NBC shouldny have cut it out but should we really get into this terrorist attack on us was bigger than terrorist attack on you thing?

It was a terrorist attack that directly impacted London, the host city.

Sometimes the start felt like Lord of the Rings. As if you were watching the Shire. :D

Heh, yeah... I thought the same thing. :laugh:

ok i take it back. didnt know.

From what I read, it was decided to do it there as it was at a more personal level, to the athlete's themselves from the current generation of athletes rather than an organisational thing. The whole Olympics this year seems to be more about the sport and the athletes, and not the politics. This is as it should be.

It's such a shame that the Israeli government seem to keep wanting to make it a political issue...

TBH, the only reason there was a 7/7 tribute, was because it happened the day after we learned we'd gotten the Olympics. If it had been a few weeks distance, maybe it wouldn't have been in there. It really wasn't relevant to the event, after all. It's just disrespectful that NBC decided to cut that part out.

I agree. The opening ceremonies just proved it. :p

Kinda hard to disagree with that assessment, but at least we can laugh at ourselves!

A big giant Voldemort sparking his wand. It was pretty neat and lots of others in dark costumes.

jeffisgr8t-2172605.jpg?w=620&h=413

I see your Voldemort and raise you LOTR

hnCS5.jpg

Her majesty was definitely not amused during the ceremony. I was - I thought it was brilliant, and one of the best opening ceremonies I've seen.

I do wish Rowan Atkinson had reprised his role as Edmund Blackadder instead of Mr. Bean though.

post-1302-0-96335400-1343548875.jpg

I really enjoyed the whole thing and I'm very proud of and happy for the British people. Paul McCartney with Hey Jude and everyone singing along was really spectacular.

lol, singing "na na na na na" is spectacular?

You have very low standards :)

Her majesty was definitely not amused during the ceremony. I was - I thought it was brilliant, and one of the best opening ceremonies I've seen.

I do wish Rowan Atkinson had reprised his role as Edmund Blackadder instead of Mr. Bean though.

post-1302-0-96335400-1343548875.jpg

I'd say she is thinking "Off with their heads"

---

I didn't realise fencing was an Olympic sport, didn't look very strenuous or something you need to train until you drop to learn, tapping each other on the neck with a piece of metal, we used to do that with sticks lol

I see your Voldemort and raise you LOTR

<IMAGE REMOVED>

Makes sense that it would have similarities to LOTR/Hobbit as J.R.R Tolkien based a lot of the books settings on the changing landscape of Britain and its industrialization.

Some of those are a bit far-fetched though.