[SHIFT2] Default App Discussion

Any joy? lol

Not yet, I broke my Arch install. Just got it all re-installed and setup, hoping to work on it this weekend. Been making notes on basic installation steps (mostly out of the wiki). So that I can also look at the installer. However, I've also opted to go with Cinnamon as the DE, so it differs slightly from what the community S2 will be like. However the core I assume will all remain the same.

Remastersys - http://www.geekconne...rg/remastersys/

reconstructor-

http://www.reconstructor.org/

Building a Custom Live CD with Linux-Live - http://lwn.net/Articles/172132/

Live Linux? CDs: Building and Customizing Bootables - http://www.amazon.co...tackoverfl08-20

why are you even posting this in this thread? this thread is about what apps should be included default.

there's already another thread talking about the installer https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1091945-shift2-gui-installer/

So... I was able to get a GUI installer working lastnight (got firefox to install). However, for some reason whenever I run it now it locks up my install. Not sure if it's code related, or if it's VM related.

so.. still trying to get it working. As I need to run certain things as root, I've been trying to get it to run sudo first.. which should work as I have it installed and working. However.. whenever I try and launch sudo with pacman as the argument it locks the system. However.. it worked fine last night.

Going to try having the exe run as root directly. Not ideal.. but worth a shot.

This not being able to edit posts kinda sucks.. however I have it running properly when the app is run as sudo or root. Still looking into getting it running better with the program launching pacman as sudo. However.. that said I have run a couple tests and it is installing firefox, I still need to add auto-yes to install missing dependencies, but yea.. it's coming along nicely.

So... I was able to get a GUI installer working lastnight (got firefox to install). However, for some reason whenever I run it now it locks up my install. Not sure if it's code related, or if it's VM related.

please take this to the gui installer post this is for the talk what app shold be default ones

please take this to the gui installer post this is for the talk what app shold be default ones

Maybe you aren't following the entire thread.. the installer is a base set of code that we can use throughout multiple apps. In the case this one refers to.. the browser selection screen that was mentioned above.

little update. I have basic install from gzip files done (it will untar it, makepkg it, then pacman -U it). It's not perfect, and isn't thoroughly tested. I also have an automatic pacman -Syyu thing, basically a system/repo update that accepts the download prompt. Once I get a github uploader and I clean up the code I will upload it.

sorry wee bit off topic here

gonna put arch on a vm tonight and try it again

what do u guys use for vm's?

I'm a virtualbox kinda guy myself.

I am using virtualbox. if you have any questions let me know. also as you install, let us know of anything you find that is difficult that we should focus on. now that my code is working for both repo and gzip files we can potentially setup our own repo/server with aur gzips

lol i managed to get it installed but could never get networking working, last time i tried i got netowrk up and i could ping the router but could not ping even an ip address outside lol

will do it tonight and post a thread in here as i am doing it :)

lol i managed to get it installed but could never get networking working, last time i tried i got netowrk up and i could ping the router but could not ping even an ip address outside lol

will do it tonight and post a thread in here as i am doing it :)

check out the beginners guide linked on the front of the arch website, it'll tell you everything you need to know to get arch up and running, helped me when i first started messing with it in virtualbox

getting this with Virtualbox lol

Makefile:172: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel

this is for DKMS says it wont run a vm without it lol

EDIT: forget that fixed it lol

I normally use VMware Player, but I've got virtualbox installed so I'm fine with that :D

'Makefile:172: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel'

You need the linux headers and source files!

Try: pacman -S linux linux-api-headers linux-firmware linux-headers

and see if it will work (if it says it's already up to date then remove it from the command and try again)

Im a VirtualBox person myself, still gotta get round to fixing my borked Arch install :(