Rudy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 July 2012 - 16:57

Go for it....you'll come back :)

#32 V9s

V9s

Neowinian

Posted 29 July 2012 - 17:15

I have been a long time iPhone user and naturally have found Android a piece of **** OS, but after owning the Nexus 7 for a week, my opinion of Android OS has changed greatly. Android OS (esp Jelly Bean) is much more awesome to use than iOS because it's a true geek's OS. iOS is much more restricted (even with cydia).

The app selection on iOS is much more better though and iOS apps exude more quality generally as compared to android apps.

The Nexus 7 tablet is fun to use. Its form factor is perfect (you can type on the keyboard like you would on a phone) and the pixel density of 216 ppi makes everything look sharp...especially text.

I'd advise you to use a friend's Nexus 7 before you jump for it.

#33 still1

still1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 July 2012 - 20:02

With the Nexus 7 selling really well more apps are going to be developed for or ported to Android tablets. Then there are built-in features like Google Now which give Android an edge over iOS.

All in all I'd say at the moment the Nexus 7 is the better option than the iPad 2. What happens in the mid- to long-term remains to be seen - how are Apple going to react to the Nexus 7, which impact are Windows 8 tablets going to have etc.

true.. i have seem many app getting tablet support after Nexus 7. they even mention that in the charge log. sure Android dont have better tablet support now but that is going to change with Nexus 7 since its doing very good.

Funny, same thing people said when the Kindle Fire launched. And yet here we are a year later saying the same thing. I think we should just assess a situation based on what is happening now instead of guessing what will happen in the future.

Kindle fire dont have play store installed in it... so the argument is pointless.

#34 vhane

vhane

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:24

I use both platforms daily. Tablet apps are currently much better on iOS.

#35 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 August 2012 - 18:26

Apps make the tablet what it is. The iPad has better apps. Simple as that really.

Kinda disagree. Both platforms have awesome apps. I find myself using the features they have built in for the most part, definitely spend less time using third party apps.

Have a galaxy s3 and iPad 2.

#36 cropcircles

cropcircles

Neowinian

Posted 23 August 2012 - 15:58

Don't sell yourself short on either one of those. Get an Asus Transformer Infinity

http://eee.asus.com/...inity/features/

#37 tenpoundmouse

tenpoundmouse

Winner of the 100 metre egg & spoon race (1985-1987).

• Phone: Nexus 5 : Lumia 920

Posted 23 August 2012 - 16:28

Apps make the tablet what it is. The iPad has better apps. Simple as that really.

I have to agree with that. Android has a limited selection of quality apps (for me), and I'm saying this as someone that has a iPad 2, iPhone 4, Galaxy Nexus & Nexus 7 ... but it all comes down to the user and their requirements in the end.

#38 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:02

Kinda disagree. Both platforms have awesome apps. I find myself using the features they have built in for the most part, definitely spend less time using third party apps.

I've only owned Android but it does everything I need. I can't see how an iPad would be any better.

#39 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 August 2012 - 16:52

I've only owned Android but it does everything I need. I can't see how an iPad would be any better.

It's really smooth and the mrs and I both use iMessage to chat. Can't get iMessage on Android. That's the main reason I got an iPad over an Android one; if she'd not already had an iPad, or she had an Android one, I might've got something else.

#40 Deihmos

Deihmos

Neowinian

Posted 26 August 2012 - 16:53

I think the iPad and iOS is miles better than Android. Since I got the iPad I have not once used the Android tablet. Now if I can only get an iphone I would get rid of my Amaze 4G.

#41 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 26 August 2012 - 21:33

It's really smooth and the mrs and I both use iMessage to chat. Can't get iMessage on Android. That's the main reason I got an iPad over an Android one; if she'd not already had an iPad, or she had an Android one, I might've got something else.

You should check out Skype:
www.skype.com

#42 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:10

You should check out Skype:
www.skype.com

We use Skype for video calling (works over 3G) but it's not as good as iMessage for chatting. It doesn't immediately sync to all devices. I think it's supposed to, but it doesn't. When I'm talking on my phone then switch to the iPad, the conversation I had on the phone doesn't show up on the iPad, and vice versa. Parts of previous conversations seem to have synced, but there's big gaps where they haven't.

#43 drazgoosh

drazgoosh

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:21

IMO the Nexus 7 design is much better. Also the hardware specs are better than the iPad's. If screen size doesn't bother you too much when playing games or browsing sites on a tablet, then definitely go for the Nexus 7.

#44 arachnoid

arachnoid

Times a Ticking

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:43

Its horses for courses i.e. it all depends if it meets your needs.The ipad is way more expensive,has a bigger screen and a different set of apps and peripherals so your really comapring Apples with Oranges in this context.
The iPad is not per se competing in the same arena for market share it has its Apple fandroids who will gladly drop a few hundered on the next innovation no matter what it is [ipad mini anybody?].Whereas Google is new to the market and needs to make a good impression before it can make a foothold on the market place.

#45 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:56

portability, better screen resolution than ipad 2 and quad core cpu...
you still can stick with ipad 2 if you dont need this

On the Flip side, you get a smaller screen a quad core you won't be using as it has no tangible benefit on android over the iOS on the A4 Dual core.

the then there's the aspect ration, which on the nexus is 16:9 which is great if you want to watch movies. while the more square aspect on the iPad is better for browsing, comics, reading, photos. Well anything but movies. even then the bigger screen will give you the same 16:9 picture size as the nexus without zooming.

So the only real benefit is portability, with some negatives on the side related to the smaller size and aspect.

Kindle Fire was a joke unless you just really really like Amazon.

Personally I'd keep the iPad. I love my n7 mind you, but it is what it is...cheap, quality, portable, but the apps...sheesh you can't even get half the existing marketplace from what I've noticed.

You joking ? the production quality on the N7 has been a series of do nots from cheap materials to screws that have to be tightened by the consumer after buying it.