Nexus 7 better than iPad 2?

If you factory restore, you can't tell it was ever jailbroken.

You also run security risks with modified firmware and software that's not approved through the proper channels isn't always as stable as officially approved software would be.

I root my phones and I've jailbroken stuff in the past.. I'm just saying that you can't compare jailbroken devices with stock devices. You don't have the same level of support with jailbroken/rooted stuff as you do stock. You should compare stock with stock.

Android tablets are not just there yet. The software just feels unpolished, laggy and overall UX is a mess. If you already have an iPad, I don't see any reason why you should get a Nexus 7 unless "you obviously need to".

There is this thing about apps as well but personally I don't care much about apps as long as there is a good browser. Nexus 7 should have Chrome which hopefully is better than the stock crap Google shipped till JB.

You also run security risks with modified firmware and software that's not approved through the proper channels isn't always as stable as officially approved software would be.

I root my phones and I've jailbroken stuff in the past.. I'm just saying that you can't compare jailbroken devices with stock devices. You don't have the same level of support with jailbroken/rooted stuff as you do stock. You should compare stock with stock.

It doesn't have to be as cut and dry as comparing stock v. stock. I think it would be silly to dismiss the iPad due to a "restriction" that could simply be fixed by jailbreaking it. Same goes with a Android device that could be "optimized" by putting a custom rom on it. The jailbreak/rooting community is out there, so why not take advantage of it? Especially since it's so easy to use.

There is a huge amount of people that develop for and offer their apps on Cydia, so stability really isn't a problem given you do research on what is and aren't good apps to use. Just like on Android, if you download a random app on Cydia, it might not be quality.

It doesn't have to be as cut and dry as comparing stock v. stock. I think it would be silly to dismiss the iPad due to a "restriction" that could simply be fixed by jailbreaking it. Same goes with a Android device that could be "optimized" by putting a custom rom on it. The jailbreak/rooting community is out there, so why not take advantage of it? Especially since it's so easy to use.

There is a huge amount of people that develop for and offer their apps on Cydia, so stability really isn't a problem given you do research on what is and aren't good apps to use. Just like on Android, if you download a random app on Cydia, it might not be quality.

Unless somebody specifically asks about the unofficial enhancements that can be performed on devices, I don't think they should be included in the comparison.

Downplaying the issue and just saying "Oh well, you can jailbreak it" without explaining the pitfalls that come with doing it is irresponsible.

Unless somebody specifically asks about the unofficial enhancements that can be performed on devices, I don't think they should be included in the comparison.

Downplaying the issue and just saying "Oh well, you can jailbreak it" without explaining the pitfalls that come with doing it is irresponsible.

I understand what you're saying, but I still don't think these "pitfalls" are anything to be concerned about.

A lot of people get an Android tablet and are unhappy with the lag and bloat that's included. So they scour the internet and people tell them to root it and put on a custom mod. Problem solved.

That's no different than telling somebody they can jailbreak the iPad to unlock more possibilities.

The OP is savy enough to ask for advice on a tech forum, so I'm sure he's savy enough to figure out how to jailbreak/root.

Might as well give him all the options.

With a $200 price, why not just buy it? I mean, you have an iPad 2 already, something that when new, was 3x the cost. Unless $200 is out of reach, just get it. I have an iPad 2 and I want to get a Nexus 7 to put emulators on and connect my PS3 controller to. See this:

GameKlipTablet.jpg

Can't do that on an iPad. The Wii controller blows imo, and for $200, it will be fun to have.

TL;DR If $200 isn't a big deal, have both. Treat yourself :)

Having to void warranty and go through the hassle of jailbreaking vs. having features available as stock? I know which I'd rather have ;)

Having a ipad2 and an android phone.

What exactly would I need to jb my iPad to do, why would I want to. Except to install pirated apps? I jail broke it once, and undid it in less than a day because I didn't see the point.

Also it's not a hassle and it's pretty much risk free if for some reason you think you need to do it.

None of that will be a problem with the Nexus 7.

Umm sure, the bloat yes.

Ive got both the ipad3 and nex 7.. i prefer the ios apps but the nex 7 is snappy and a great size. I could see it replacing my kindle and places i cba carrying my ipad to

Having a ipad2 and an android phone.

What exactly would I need to jb my iPad to do, why would I want to. Except to install pirated apps? I jail broke it once, and undid it in less than a day because I didn't see the point.

Also it's not a hassle and it's pretty much risk free if for some reason you think you need to do it.

I wasn't the one who suggested people jailbreak, it was Astra.Xtreme.

Also, modifying the firmware in a way that voids your warranty is never without risks. If, god forbid, something does go wrong, then it's usually a royal pain in the ass to fix it because you're not going to get any help under warranty.

Not really, I think you misunderstood what I meant (that there is no bloat and lag).

No, I didn't, I said you are correct about th boat, not entirely about the lag.

I would recommend you to go for nexus 7 it would be pretty smart bet, I mean it is damn simple to use and one can handle their stuffs damn smartly. It have pretty huge screen, simple user controls, brilliant touch and have many other cool features.

No, maybe read the post I replied to as well. since you got it backwards.

No, I didn't, I said you are correct about th boat, not entirely about the lag.

yeah sorry, i took it as the other way around

anyway, with JB i don't notice any lag anymore so I'm not really sure what you're seeing Hawk

yeah sorry, i took it as the other way around

anyway, with JB i don't notice any lag anymore so I'm not really sure what you're seeing Hawk

Well, Jelly Bean is 100x better than any other Android OS in terms of fluidity of the UI. Every mobile/tablet OS will have some form of lag (yes, even iOS and WP7). Having said that, Jelly Bean on the Nexus 7 (and my Galaxy Nexus) is far more fluid (smooth) than my Windows Phone 7 (Trophy) or my friends iPhone 4, there is absolutely no comparison. Having a fully accelerated GUI is a wonderful thing!

I just got mine last night, to be honest people complained about the iPad being just a "big iPhone" and I've always disagreed BUT I really get that feeling with the Nexus. Overall it's a really nice piece of hardware for $250 but I wouldn't use it for personal use (I personally use it to develop for Android)

I just got mine last night, to be honest people complained about the iPad being just a "big iPhone" and I've always disagreed BUT I really get that feeling with the Nexus. Overall it's a really nice piece of hardware for $250 but I wouldn't use it for personal use (I personally use it to develop for Android)

Well, the 7" form factor is very portable, much easier to hold than a 10" tablet (like the iPad). I'm sure there will be a Nexus 10" tablet as well. However, I fail to see how the Nexus is a big phone like device, whereas the iPad isn't? They're both tablets, and have the same capabilities. To me, both are just toys, not a productivity device (it can't be without a keyboard and full fledged OS that lets me run anything). I can always add a Bluetooth keyboard to either iOS or Android tablets, but the OS is the limiting factor to both devices.

Well, the 7" form factor is very portable, much easier to hold than a 10" tablet (like the iPad). I'm sure there will be a Nexus 10" tablet as well. However, I fail to see how the Nexus is a big phone like device, whereas the iPad isn't? They're both tablets, and have the same capabilities. To me, both are just toys, not a productivity device (it can't be without a keyboard and full fledged OS that lets me run anything). I can always add a Bluetooth keyboard to either iOS or Android tablets, but the OS is the limiting factor to both devices.

The main screen doesn't rotate, most applications/screens in the OS don't take advantage of the extra real estate and just use the same interface they do on the phone version

Well, Jelly Bean is 100x better than any other Android OS in terms of fluidity of the UI. Every mobile/tablet OS will have some form of lag (yes, even iOS and WP7). Having said that, Jelly Bean on the Nexus 7 (and my Galaxy Nexus) is far more fluid (smooth) than my Windows Phone 7 (Trophy) or my friends iPhone 4, there is absolutely no comparison. Having a fully accelerated GUI is a wonderful thing!

Uh it has 1.3 GHz quad core CPU powering it, it better outperform the single core 1Ghz processors in trophy and iPhone 4. :p Is JB really completely accelerated? I thought only the core OS is while apps still have to do with CPU based rendering.

I got the Nexus 7 because I'm not overly keen on iOS and its locked-downness (yay made up words) and I can do everything I want to on Android on a smaller screen which suits me perfectly and a much cheaper price to the iPad. But that's just me, my girlfriend has an iPad 2 and I've used that quite a lot and it's not bad, but I just prefer Android- especially Jelly Bean.