Bloody Apple and its obsession with glass screens.

If I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

My daughter cracked the screen on her iPhone 4. Not too bad so we let it stay that way. Then, my grandson--her nephew, kicked it out of her hands and it broke the back screen. Then she has it in her bag and cracked the front screen even more by hitting it with a chair leg in school. Smashed that glass all over the place.

So, soft dad, after insisting if she broke the phone it would be tough faeces, bought her a replacement screen and digitizer off of eBay for ?28.00. Then spent hours squinting and shaking removing the 483,257 screws, flaps, glue and teeny weeny connectors to replace the front screen (the back screen only need 2 screws!) Luckily after much butt clenching and nervous tea drinking and trying to get my eyes to focus properly, the new screens and rebuild worked a treat.

Happy daddy, happy daughter.

Or so I thought.

She only goes and drops her newly fixed iPhone onto the screen of our iPad3. Oops. Smashed, cracked, splintered.

The only saving grace is the cracks aren't on the screen bit just the bezel. I have put black electricians tape on that bit to protect it.

I was also contemplating putting the self same tape around her wrists tying her hands behind her back so she couldn't do any more damage. But she said she knows the number for childline and she'd beat the crap out of me anyway!

• Like 2

Get a case and screen protector. That should be the FIRST thing you do with any phone, especially for kids. The case alone, will be the most protection. I got a case for my phone (Droid 2), but no screen protector and have never had an issue, and I drop it ALL the time. I'm clumsy as hell.

They won't learn till it actually starts costing them their own money, next time replace it with a cheap feature phone and tell her to replace it herself

Told my kids all I'll do is pay for the service, phone and insurance is theirs, that way they learn to not destroy everything they get

Are those made of gorilla glass? How do you even crack that ****?

I've dropped my phone (gorilla glass) several times onto concrete, ceramic tile, etc and don't even have a scratch on the screen. I don't use protectors or a case.

"Soft dad" is the problem.

STOP FIXING IT. Let her live with a busted piece of crap. She might actually how to take care of her crap for a change.

Bloody Volvo and their obsession with glass screens! I let my kid drive my car, and when they crashed it into a tree the screen broke! Then, when I had it fixed it, they crashed the car again! Now I have to pay for a new one again! :angry:

Get a case

No offence but your daughter sounds careless and clumsy. Tell her to get a decent case for both the iPad and iPhone. I'm not going to advise you to stop helping her (because parents will be parents) but perhaps you could be more stern?

While the user is largely to blame in this case, I do hope Apple uses Gorilla Glass 2 (and mentions it specifically) or some sort of stronger glass screen at least.

No offence but your daughter sounds careless and clumsy. Tell her to get a decent case for both the iPad and iPhone. I'm not going to advise you to stop helping her (because parents will be parents) but perhaps you could be more stern?

While the user is largely to blame in this case, I do hope Apple uses Gorilla Glass 2 (and mentions it specifically) or some sort of stronger glass screen at least.

Gorilla Glass by itself is sufficient. If you need more than that, then what you really need is one those wrist camera straps to keep that phone from falling out of your hands.

As it has been said, spend $10-20 for a durable case; an absolute must for any tablet or smartphone. Depending on what phone you have, you may or may not need a screen protector based on the type of coating the screen has (I don't use one for my Google Nexus). A small investment that will not only protect your expensive phone from scratches and soften the blow of drops, but it will drastically improve it's resale value when you are ready to move onto your next phone.

Are those made of gorilla glass? How do you even crack that ****?

They're made of Apple Glass. Gorilla Glass is resistant to scratches and flexible to avoid shattering. Instead of just using it, Apple decided to go their own way (as usual) but only made the glass scratch-resistant. They didn't make it flexible as well, so when it's dropped it's a jigsaw puzzle.

• Like 3

how to tape your daughter.

problem solved. keep her up there until she gets married.

Dating could be a bit on an issue. lol

I was also contemplating putting the self same tape around her wrists tying her hands behind her back so she couldn't do any more damage...

Sounds like a plan!

she said she knows the number for childline and she'd beat the crap out of me anyway!

...oop... maybe not! :p

They won't learn till it actually starts costing them their own money, next time replace it with a cheap feature phone and tell her to replace it herself

Probably the best plan. But buy yourself a BIG dog as protection ;)

i am sry but its not apple's or x company's fault.its your kids.

Pretty sure he wasn't ranting at Apple.

If I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

My daughter cracked the screen on her iPhone 4. Not too bad so we let it stay that way. Then, my grandson--her nephew, kicked it out of her hands and it broke the back screen. Then she has it in her bag and cracked the front screen even more by hitting it with a chair leg in school. Smashed that glass all over the place.

So, soft dad, after insisting if she broke the phone it would be tough faeces, bought her a replacement screen and digitizer off of eBay for ?28.00. Then spent hours squinting and shaking removing the 483,257 screws, flaps, glue and teeny weeny connectors to replace the front screen (the back screen only need 2 screws!) Luckily after much butt clenching and nervous tea drinking and trying to get my eyes to focus properly, the new screens and rebuild worked a treat.

Happy daddy, happy daughter.

Or so I thought.

She only goes and drops her newly fixed iPhone onto the screen of our iPad3. Oops. Smashed, cracked, splintered.

The only saving grace is the cracks aren't on the screen bit just the bezel. I have put black electricians tape on that bit to protect it.

I was also contemplating putting the self same tape around her wrists tying her hands behind her back so she couldn't do any more damage. But she said she knows the number for childline and she'd beat the crap out of me anyway!

Have you ever heard of an Otter Box Defender Series case? They work.

They're made of Apple Glass. Gorilla Glass is resistant to scratches and flexible to avoid shattering. Instead of just using it, Apple decided to go their own way (as usual) but only made the glass scratch-resistant. They didn't make it flexible as well, so when it's dropped it's a jigsaw puzzle.

I call it Monkey Glass.

I've been using cell phones for years, never dropped one. In fact, the only time my phone has been dropped is when OTHER people were holding it. :p

It's not the glass screen, it's the lack of bezel.

It's not the glass screen, it's not the lack of bezel, it's young people who don't know the value of things and are not careful enough (usually because "daddy(or mummy) will get me another"). I know people just like this, have had things bought for them and do not take any care of said item.

It's not the glass screen, it's not the lack of bezel, it's young people who don't know the value of things and are not careful enough (usually because "daddy(or mummy) will get me another"). I know people just like this, have had things bought for them and do not take any care of said item.

No, it's not the user. Apple makes fragile hardware. End of story. The Apple apologists on this thread are sickening.

No, it's not the user. Apple makes fragile hardware. End of story. The Apple apologists on this thread are sickening.

Well, I ain't an Apple apologist in any way - never owned an apple product, and never will. But, young people are very lax when it comes to looking after products (from whichever maufacturer) bought for them by mummy or daddy. It's just that this thread is about his kids Apple product.