Photo

Xbox '720'/Durango Dev Kit Photos via IGN

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 July 2012 - 23:40

Photos of a next-generation Xbox development kit have emerged online. The images were first spotted on the AssemblerGames forums when a user named DaE attempted to sell the kit for $10,000. At the time, the pictures were met with heavy skepticism and many assumed they were simply a hoax.
Now, however, Digital Foundry has spoken to “multiple developers working on next-gen projects” as well as DaE himself and confirmed that the images are indeed a legitimate look at the hardware being used to develop games for Microsoft’s next-generation system.

Source

#2 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 29 July 2012 - 23:54

Well ram is pretty cheap

#3 OP Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 July 2012 - 23:57

Well ram is pretty cheap

I'm hoping the 12GB rumor mentioned in the article is true!

#4 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 23:58

I'm hoping the 12GB rumor mentioned in the article is true!

Well Crytek would be happy

#5 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

Posted 30 July 2012 - 00:02

Isn't DDR4 out next year? So new Xbox will go out of date as soon as it's shipped.

#6 OP Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 July 2012 - 00:12

Isn't DDR4 out next year? So new Xbox will go out of date as soon as it's shipped.

You're not familiar with console specs are you... :rolleyes:

#7 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 July 2012 - 00:13

No way it'll ship with 8GB let alone 12GB of RAM.

#8 OP Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 July 2012 - 00:16

No way it'll have 8GB let alone 12GB of RAM.

One can dream, 4GB would be sufficient IMO (but what do I know about dev'ing ha)

#9 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 July 2012 - 00:19

I'd say 2GB.. maybe 4GB. Have to remember most homes now are 1080P maximum resolution so no real need for high resolution textures, more could be spent on content and even 2GB would be a huge improvement over the PS3/360.

I don't think we can draw much on what the next Xbox will be like from the Dev Kit :/

However it is interesting that it's an Intel CPU considering the 360 used an IBM PowerPC.

#10 OP Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 July 2012 - 00:39

I'd say 2GB.. maybe 4GB. Have to remember most homes now are 1080P maximum resolution so no real need for high resolution textures, more could be spent on content and even 2GB would be a huge improvement over the PS3/360.

I don't think we can draw much on what the next Xbox will be like from the Dev Kit :/

However it is interesting that it's an Intel CPU considering the 360 used an IBM PowerPC.

Well I only say 4GB assuming the next console will have a lifespan the length of the 360; so that would future proof it. Also, when 4k resolutions and displays come into play we will be glad if it's 4GB not 2GB ha

#11 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 30 July 2012 - 00:49

Well I only say 4GB assuming the next console will have a lifespan the length of the 360; so that would future proof it. Also, when 4k resolutions and displays come into play we will be glad if it's 4GB not 2GB ha

4K is pretty much irrelevant since it's guaranteed that neither 'next-gen' console will have remotely close to enough power to handle it.

#12 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 30 July 2012 - 00:59

There's no way the Xbox 720 will have the graphics power required for 4K resolutions, as even top-end dual-GPU PC setups can't manage that. It's very unlikely you'll even see 2K resolutions supported, even for graphically simple games. And that's without even factoring in the adoption rate of 2K/4K displays, which aren't as well supported as 1080p was at the launch of the X360 (and 720p was still in its infancy).

I wouldn't be surprised to see 2GB or less, as that would be up to four times the amount seen in the X360 and the speed will be considerably faster. The largest benefit could come from using SSD storage or a SSD/HDD hybrid drive, which would take a lot of pressure off the system memory. All they need is enough memory to handle 1080p in 3D (120Hz), with a little bit more for "future proofing" (as if such a thing is even possible).

I'm expecting to be underwhelmed with the specs of the next generation of consoles, as I really think they'll do the bare minimum needed to support 1080p / 3D. Sony took big losses last generation and Microsoft doesn't want to price itself out of the market either. With Microsoft looking to make Kinect mandatory - at least according to the last rumours I saw - I think they're looking to move away from sheer horsepower and focus on the experience.

#13 OP Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:04

4K is pretty much irrelevant since it's guaranteed that neither 'next-gen' console will have remotely close to enough power to handle it.

Could we at least expect to have native 1080p be the minimum? As opposed to the up-converting crappy textures like...nearly this entire generation of games, at least on the Xbox platform.

#14 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:12

Could we at least expect to have native 1080p be the minimum? As opposed to the up-converting crappy textures like...nearly this entire generation of games, at least on the Xbox platform.

Exactly.

I think all we can expect with the "next gen" of consoles is actual 1080p support. There were hardly any games this generation that did support 1080p native, and those handful that did were more on the simplistic side graphically.

To add to this, I would be shocked if next gen consoles support true stereoscopic 3D in 1080p, as I really doubt they will have enough horsepower to render two scenes of 1080p simultaneously.

I also think the life span we have come accustomed to with consoles will be a thing of the past. Technology is just going to move at a much faster rate then it has in the past, so in order to keep up, the whole premise of a longer life span will be tossed out the window. At least that is my take on things.

#15 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:15

Probably. As long as they don't go too cheap on the GPU, or cut too many corners on things releated to it(like how sony crippled the ps3's gpu by killing half its memory bandwidth).