Stay-at-Home Dad Wins Right to Front Yard Vegetable Garden

How ridiculous that this is against some law. FFS, I'll have whatever plants I want in my front yard. How out of touch with nature do you have to be to consider than an "eyesore"? People just... I just... :no:

Actually it's not against any law, which is why he won lol

It just offended some people with power..

.... and since when does neighborhoods have "landlords?"

I thought that landlords are for apartment complexes.

A landlord is anyone who owns a property and leases it out..

So they can own an apartment complex, or a house, commercial property, etc..

In this case his sisters fiance owns the house, and leases it too him, making the fiance the landlord, and he's just a tenant.

The laws and people that run this county can be BS sometimes. I had about 2 weeds in my yard and the HOA request a fine of $700 :|

this is another case of hardup council people being douches. actually, it looks alot better then most yards we probably see these days. it's green, beautiful and has a function or purpose

The laws and people that run this county can be BS sometimes. I had about 2 weeds in my yard and the HOA request a fine of $700 :|

HOA's suck. they act in a dictator fashion

You have some issues if you think a vegetable garden is comparable to any of those.

I also don't understand why people think that's ugly - it's functional and beautiful in that it's healthy vegetation. What is he supposed to have? Artificially managed 0.5" high grass with a picket fence? So glad I don't have to live in America and deal with that ridiculous idea - "you can have a beautiful house, but it has to be OUR idea of beautiful!"

I am sure when some of you get your own yards, you will also worry about your next door neighbors lawn too. There's always something that can offend/irratate/bother anyone from doggy doo to a parked RV to a tree over growing into your property.

I actually live in a normal society where people have what they want in their gardens - and they're not even separated by fences. If someone has something that spreads, you just walk to them, ask them nicely to help you with the problem and then it gets sorted.

The photo isn't bad, and it doesn't sound horrible, but what you're looking at is a garden in early June. Vegetable gardens generally do NOT look pretty come July, and are definitely an eyesore in August. Mine's sure as hell not as pretty as it was a couple months ago. These plants are grown for food production- not looks!

There are things called convenants and laws and when you buy property, you agree to abide by them. The problem is that there was no law or covenant against this- it was just a matter of good taste and convention that prevent people who are not trash or hippies from putting vegetable gardens in their front lawn. If the council had let him do it, they would have to let everyone do it as well, and most of those people probably wouldn't tend their gardens even as well as this guy did.

The photo isn't bad, and it doesn't sound horrible, but what you're looking at is a garden in early June. Vegetable gardens generally do NOT look pretty come July, and are definitely an eyesore in August. Mine's sure as hell not as pretty as it was a couple months ago. These plants are grown for food production- not looks!

There are things called convenants and laws and when you buy property, you agree to abide by them. The problem is that there was no law or covenant against this- it was just a matter of good taste and convention that prevent people who are not trash or hippies from putting vegetable gardens in their front lawn. If the council had let him do it, they would have to let everyone do it as well, and most of those people probably wouldn't tend their gardens even as well as this guy did.

People who have vegetable gardens are trash or hippies? Good God, what planet do you come from? I'm glad I don't live in your area.

People who have vegetable gardens are trash or hippies? Good God, what planet do you come from? I'm glad I don't live in your area.

On a planet called earth where money rules and your property value is influenced by the property value of your neighbor. His garden lowers the value of everyones home in the surrouding area. Large gardens, especially this one, lower the value of your home because they cost addition money to maintain. People buying houses don't usually like houses that require addition maintaince/work. Because the value of that home goes down, so does the surrouding homes. That is why these laws exist. It is the reason cities have ordinances to fine and remove anything that is deemed an eye sore. What planet is it you live on where the value of homes doesn't mean anything? If you recall, on earth, we just had a recessions due to the value of homes dropping. Please enlighten us so we can move to this magical place you live where money doesn't matter.

Read more carefully. "...prevent people who are not trash or hippies from putting vegetable gardens in their front lawn."

Who cares if it's their front or back lawn?

If you live in a place where a vegetable garden and other land "reduces value of you and your neighbour's property" then you're living in a pretty strange place. That's the end of it. In more sensible places, greenery increases value. Only is bizarro world does it decrease it. Then again, if it comes down to being too lazy to look after some land properly - I'm not surprised that area includes parts of the USA.

Do you REALLY have to go this far?

They were just examples of minor, mediocre, and extreme offensive things that people would object too.

They were just examples of minor, mediocre, and extreme offensive things that people would object too.

So vegetable garden is extremely offensive?

How does he stop people from taking tomatos from the plants ? Since they are in hisa front yard?

He actually probably doesn't mind, and I bet there is not that much traffic up and down his road. I bet those plats produce quite a bit of stuff also, so a few probably would not be missed. This just gave me an idea also.