10 posts in this topic

Posted

New Delhi (CNN) -- A grid failure cut power supplies in northern India on Monday, hitting rail and road transport for hours in the country's worst blackout in a decade, authorities said.

The outage held up at least 300 trains in the region, Indian railway spokesman Anil Kumar Saxena told CNN.

India's Power System Corporation Limited reported the collapse at 2.35 a.m. local time. Officials say it affected seven states in northern India, home to more than 350 million people.

Residents spent overnight drenched in sweat amid humid weather, and many backup power systems had run out by daybreak. Power was partially restored after about six hours, authorities said.

"When the northern grid failed, we started taking power from eastern and western grids," Indian Power Minister Sushilkumar Shinde told reporters. "We will take some power from Bhutan, too," he said.

The blackout left passengers stranded at train stations, and signal failures caused traffic snarls that choked the Indian capital's already congested roads during office hours.

more

Posted

Second blackout in India in two days leaves 670 million without power

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Half of India's 1.2 billion people were without power on Tuesday as the grids covering a dozen states broke down, the second major blackout in as many days and an embarrassment for the government as it struggles to revive economic growth.

Stretching from Assam, near China, to the Himalayas and the deserts of Rajasthan, the power cut was the worst to hit India in more than a decade.

http://news.yahoo.co...-090157631.html

Posted

I am living in city where there is 12 hour loadshedding per day since many days. So I am habitual of it. Bad for India.. feeling sorry..

Posted

No point growing when your infrastructure cant cope.

Posted

That sound scary

NEW DELHI (AP)

Posted

I can't remember the last time I had a power outage.

Posted

I can't remember the last time I had a power outage.

Lucky you, Storms on the east coast knocked out power for weeks for some people. But the reasons were different....

Posted

Maybe India will learn to back off the Reproduction. ;)

Posted

threads merged