windows 8 notifications notii

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 31 July 2012 - 14:31

With the inclusion of live tiles, a notification center would be redundant functionality.

It's something I do definitely miss on Windows Phone, simply because I (obviously) don't have all apps on the Start screen. It also seems odd that third-party apps like WhatsApp Messenger don't appear on the lock screen.

#17 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 July 2012 - 15:19

I do enjoy that Microsoft are going in a different direction—rather than creating a specific Notification Centre, they've ensured the latest notifications can be digested in a more elegant manner. I find the user experience of the Start Screen (the functionality, not how it looks) to be better than what a list of recent notifications would be. The Start Screen provides a way to see all of the latest notifications along with more functionality (much of it useful), and that information is laid out in a great way rather than just in a list.

Microsoft going in this direction is bold, considering some people don't realise this is the alternative to a Notification Centre. We'll see if it works just as well for consumers and pays off :)

#18 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 31 July 2012 - 15:26

I'm confused. Lets see if I understand what people are saying. You are saying we don't need a notification center because each title on the Metro screen has to possibly of giving notifications specific to that app?

Let me remind you the main argument about windows 8 is that you can stay on the desktop and never have to use Metro / the tiles. Now you are saying you have to open the start screen for notification? The Titles are NOT a good replacements for notifications. They work if you are currently in the titles, but you are saying that even if i'm at my desktop and want to be notified I have to open the start screen and see the notifications on the titles? Add to the fact the tiles do scroll side to side, so now we have to scroll side to side to see all of the notifications?

#19 UXGaurav

UXGaurav

Tried Classic Shell? It has 15 million+ downloads & growing

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 31 July 2012 - 15:35

The Start screen *is* the notification center! Didn't MS say it was like a dashboard of everything? If you miss a notification, go to the Start screen. For desktop apps, there is the notification area with balloon tips.

#20 Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 July 2012 - 15:35

First thought: "are you kidding?"

1) Live Tiles
2) It pretty clearly shows most notifications on the lock screen (and a very handy music overlay when its playing too).

Hoping 7.8 gets screenshot feature too..

#21 billyea

billyea

Your Two Cents

Posted 31 July 2012 - 15:38

Let me remind you the main argument about windows 8 is that you can stay on the desktop and never have to use Metro / the tiles. Now you are saying you have to open the start screen for notification? The Titles are NOT a good replacements for notifications. They work if you are currently in the titles, but you are saying that even if i'm at my desktop and want to be notified I have to open the start screen and see the notifications on the titles?

How is opening the Start Screen harder to do than open a hypothetical Notification Center?

#22 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 31 July 2012 - 15:38

I'm confused. Lets see if I understand what people are saying. You are saying we don't need a notification center because each title on the Metro screen has to possibly of giving notifications specific to that app?

Let me remind you the main argument about windows 8 is that you can stay on the desktop and never have to use Metro / the tiles. Now you are saying you have to open the start screen for notification? The Titles are NOT a good replacements for notifications. They work if you are currently in the titles, but you are saying that even if i'm at my desktop and want to be notified I have to open the start screen and see the notifications on the titles? Add to the fact the tiles do scroll side to side, so now we have to scroll side to side to see all of the notifications?

Your other option is to open a drawer similar to Android/iOS or a panel in ML. How is any of those better than switching to start screen and back? Desktop apps already have their way of notifications in taskbar or notification area. They can't use the system wide toasts or lock screen icons AFAIK.

#23 +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 31 July 2012 - 15:39

Your other option is to open a drawer similar to Android/iOS or a panel in ML. How is any of those better than switching to start screen and back? Desktop apps already have their way of notifications in taskbar or notification area. They can't use the system wide toasts or lock screen icons AFAIK.

Because lets say I have 50 tiles. Do I have to scoll left, right, right , right , left , right back and forth back and forth trying to find the notification i'm looking for?

#24 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 July 2012 - 15:40

Outlook 2013 can use toasts.

#25 billyea

billyea

Your Two Cents

Posted 31 July 2012 - 15:41

Because lets say I have 50 tiles. Do I have to scoll left, right, right , right , left , right back and forth back and forth trying to find the notification i'm looking for?

No, you prioritize the apps that you care about. You can show plenty of tiles in the initial view, so just move apps that you care about there, like email or messaging.

You would have to scroll in a Notification Centre as well, unless you want a cluttered mess.

#26 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 July 2012 - 15:41

[. . .] It also seems odd that third-party apps like WhatsApp Messenger don't appear on the lock screen.

I find that annoying. I'd like to be notified of missed Facebook notifications via a toast and an icon on the Lock Screen (Windows Phone's built-in Facebook integration currently doesn't provide either). I think I've seen in one screenshot of Windows Phone 8 that Microsoft are going to allow us to select a few apps for Lock Screen notifications, though, like we can on Windows 8 :)

#27 +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 31 July 2012 - 15:42

No, you prioritize the apps that you care about. You can show plenty of tiles in the initial view, so just move apps that you care about there, like email or messaging.

You would have to scroll in a Notification Centre as well, unless you want a cluttered mess.

Where as you could pull down a notification window and see ALL of your notification. Because now each would be in on a thin line not a big fat tile.

But what if you already have your screen filled with all of your favorites tiles / apps, but you also have an app way on the right that you are using for a few hours that you want to see notifications about. So now you are saying for those few hours I have to move that tile to the first screen all the way to the left. Then move it all the way back when i'm done?

#28 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 31 July 2012 - 15:53

Windows 7 doesn't have none of it (except the internal windows notifications) and you don't see anyone complaining, now when you can sort your apps into the metro screen to show your notifications it's still not enough?

Hypocrites...

#29 +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 31 July 2012 - 15:54

Windows 7 doesn't have none of it (except the internal windows notifications) and you don't see anyone complaining, now when you can sort your apps into the metro screen to show your notifications it's still not enough?

Hypocrites...

Because Microsoft came late to the game there is a level of notification expectations. Sure the tiles show you notifications but people don't want to have to rearrange their tiles they just want it to work.

#30 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 31 July 2012 - 16:01

Outlook 2013 can use toasts.

Hey even Outlook 2010 uses toast (and 2007 did too IIRC). They are called custom alerts and are not system wide.

Not going to be any better. If you have 50 apps dumping notifications in Android/iOS - it's equally painful and you will have to scroll up/down.