Only Android can refloat Nokia

And they'd be right. Android would've been the smartest decision, but it's easy to say that using hindsight...

I'll give Nokia credit - they took a big gamble in trying to go WP. Someone had balls to try it!

And they'd be right. Android would've been the smartest decision, but it's easy to say that using hindsight...

We have no idea if Nokia actually would have sold much more phones if their Lumia line was running Android. The pro-Android camp likes to pretend that's a given. In reality however, no one can say for certain.

We have no idea if Nokia would have sold more phones if their Lumia line was running Android. Apparently the pro-Android camp likes to pretend that's a given. In reality however, no one can say for certain.

True. Even on Android side, Samsung is the only one making any real progess. Even HTC is loosing market share!

Whereas, Sony Ericsson, LG and Motorola are making losses both in the market share, as well as financially.

So with the news that even a revamp of their range and a flagship phone can't make money for HTC; do people want to revise their opinion that Nokia would be "saved" by going the Android route?

So with the news that even a revamp of their range and a flagship phone can't make money for HTC; do people want to revise their opinion that Nokia would be "saved" by going the Android route?

No.. because HTC did make a boatload of money.. the problem is current economy and Apple trying to ban their devices left and right thus causing a huge problem.

Samsung is making a killing, so it's not about Android.. it's about the company and management, Android just makes it easy to achieve their goals quickly without reinventing the wheel. Not to mention that Nokia would have insane platform and ecosystem with apps through Android.

And yes.. Nokia would still have a chance if it went Android.. now they will most likely perish because with the imminent failure of Windows 8 and compatibility issues with Windows Phone 8, they are pretty much screwed. There are tens of millions of people that would buy Nokia phone RIGHT NOW if it ran Android, especially since Nokia's new phones are super sexy compared to all Android high end phones. They would KILL it with sales. This is reality.

And HTC is no matter how you look at it in a much better position. While their revenues and profits are down, they are not borrowing money from Microsoft to stay afloat.

I think the reason HTC is losing money is because they had a huge amount of growth they hired lots of new people built new factories and now that their market share has fallen they have all these extra costs. They need to downsize a bit so they can make more money or deliver another hit device to compete against the S III so that they can sustain their current size.

I heard they recently shut down their South Korean offices and are focusing on bringing everything back to Taiwan as a cost cutting measure and I expect in maybe 2 or 3 quarters from now we will see a profitable and more stable HTC.

You can make money selling Android devices but you need to keep refreshing your devices with the latest features because frankly the OS is the same, you can only differentiate on the hardware features, after sales support and price. HTC's devices have costed almost the same as Samsung's while delivering not as bleeding edge hardware in my opinion.

No.. because HTC did make a boatload of money.. the problem is current economy and Apple trying to ban their devices left and right thus causing a huge problem.

All HTC devices are still on sale here, like normal.

HTC's problem isn't Android, HTC's problem is it's image. HTC broke Sense, had repeated reliability and battery issues with their newer phones and flooded the market with phones. A combination of factors that have made people think twice about buying them. I own an HTC One X and it's a fantastic phone, best I've ever owned by quite a margin in fact, but when I tell people that I've got an HTC, people's first reaction is usually "Why not a Galaxy S3?".

The fact is that overall HTC have made immense amounts of money from Android. Sure, they made some money from being a WM6 phone manufacturer, but their Android phones propelled them into the mainstream. Barely anyone I know even knew who HTC were prior to the likes of the Desire.