Migrating to outlook.com

If I rename my hotmail to an outlook.com email address, will it automatically rename my Xbox email address to the outlook one too?

I don't want to change it it is going to cause problems with Xbox

I was reading it might cause problems with WP7.5 apps purchased with a live account email address, and no longer being associated with your account once you migrate to outlook.com, so it might cause problems with xbox live accounts too, not sure, I'm leaving mine as it is

I don't have a windows phone, but I do use Xbox.

I would love to switch to a new outlook email, but am waiting until I know for sure it won't affect my Xbox account

If you rename your account, everything will switch over. Basically, the @outlook address now becomes the Microsoft account you log in with. So all your contacts/SkyDrive files/Xbox live stuff will stay the same. Just you log in with a different email address.

Your current email (@hotmail/@live) will now become an alias, so you can still receive email sent to it and can send from it on the website, but can't log in with it.

So will I have to re-log into my Xbox, or will it just change on its own?

I'm not sure, but it should switch on it's own. WP you have to reset though, as the email is integrated deep into the OS.

I don't have a windows phone, but I do use Xbox.

I would love to switch to a new outlook email, but am waiting until I know for sure it won't affect my Xbox account

It won't, as all you have to do is set up an outlook.com alias. My Microsoft Passport is associated with all my accounts at Microsoft (from an Xbox GamerTag to my newsletters) - because I have an outlook.com alias, any mail sent to it will be collected via Hotmail (as mail sent to the aliased address at passport.com does normally). My issue is setting up either Hotmail or the outlook.com alias in Outlook 2013 - I haven't figured out how to do either yet.

When you attempt to change it the webpage warns you about a problem with windows phone. It doesn't talk about Xbox so there shouldn't be problems...

Sorry to half hijack this thread but another related question:

Can you see what aliases you have created and edit if you want the emails to go in a specific folder? Or can this only be done when setting them up?

Thanks

EDIT: Seems yes, you can see a list of them here:

Account Settings > Notifications > Email

I can confirm that renaming your live/hotmail account to outlook.com doesn't effect Xbox at all. My suscriptions and payment settings are still in tact as well.

• Like 2

Sorry to half hijack this thread but another related question:

Can you see what aliases you have created and edit if you want the emails to go in a specific folder? Or can this only be done when setting them up?

Thanks

Yes, you can easily make a folder using rules, so all emails sent to a certain email (say abc@outlook.com) to appear in a certain folder.

I can confirm that renaming your live/hotmail account to outlook.com doesn't effect Xbox at all. My suscriptions and payment settings are still in tact as well.

Thanks, did you have to change anything on your Xbox, or did it just do it automatically?

oft

why would one went longer mail address [live << outlook] :s

outlook.com is huge improvement over the mass that is hotmail

oft

why would one went longer mail address [live << outlook] :s

[. . .]

If I'm using Outlook.com, I'd like either one of the new outlook.com email addresses or one of my own email addresses from my domain. Live.com is the previous version, which is enough for me to not desire a @live.com email address when using the newer version :) I don't care about the length, if it isn't overly excessive.

Thanks, did you have to change anything on your Xbox, or did it just do it automatically?

The Xbox handled it automatically, and so did Zune to an extent. The only problem I had was resetting my WP7. Not too fussed about that though as it was slowing every no and again.

Well, the best solution to make sure your account sitll works on all your devices is to create an @outlook.com alias rather then renaming your account. That way, people can still email to your outlook.com account, but you would still be able to have all your devices working. Only one problem, your login info will not change.

Thanks for confirming that and letting us know :) I was curious too.

So will I have to re-log into my Xbox, or will it just change on its own?

Good point! Thanks for raising this. I will have to check it. I couldnt log into MSN Messenger with my @hotmail.co.uk account

• 2 weeks later...

Could somebody tell me please what are the disadvantages of staying on @hotmail.com address?

I use the new look (upgraded), but my email address is still @hotmail.com.

It "runs" on the "old" "Live-layer" or what?

If there are no disadvantages, I would keep my @hotmail.com address, I like it. (However, I own @outlook.com as well.)

EDIT:

One more question: I have 25GB of SkyDrive storage on my @hotmail.com account. If I rename it to @outlook.com, would I get the same storage with the "new" (renamed) account?

Well, the best solution to make sure your account sitll works on all your devices is to create an @outlook.com alias rather then renaming your account. That way, people can still email to your outlook.com account, but you would still be able to have all your devices working. Only one problem, your login info will not change.

However in doing so, the external person would email you@outlook.com then get a reply from you@hotmail.com <-- not exactly the best way in the world.

You can choose to reply from you@outlook.com but it'll say: FROM you@hotmail.com on behalf of you@outlook.com - therefore negating the point in having an outlook.com address, apart from squatting on that name.