Windows 8 RTM Stock App Previews

win8

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#16 georgevella

georgevella

Software Developer

Posted 01 August 2012 - 22:11

The whole "You don't like it, therefore you haven't tried it" thing has become stale a while ago.

Yep you're right about that. It should be "Yeah we know you don't like, why do you feel the need to keep telling us?"
About the new apps, not much seemed to have changed from RP. I hope they fixed most of the issues. Is there any news on availability (specifically music and videos availability in countries other than UK/USA/whatever else was supported in RP)?

#17 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

Posted 01 August 2012 - 22:13

They work great on the desktop once you try it and stop judging it off a few screenshots.

Can you open two pictures or PDFs next to each other yet?

#18 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 01 August 2012 - 22:14

Yep you're right about that. It should be "Yeah we know you don't like, why do you feel the need to keep telling us?"

What you wrote down makes little sense. I clearly said I think they're fine on tablet.

#19 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 01 August 2012 - 22:17

Can you open two pictures or PDFs next to each other yet?

If you want to do more than what these simple, and yes, they're meant to be basic and simple, metro apps can do you're more than capable of using the desktop. It's why it's still there. There's really no need to keep taking shots at the metro apps because they aren't advanced enough at this point, most of them aren't meant to be anyways. That's not saying you won't get more advanced ones, that's just up to what developers can do though. Regardless, if ones needs aren't met on that side of the OS then go to the one that does, best of both worlds.

#20 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 01 August 2012 - 22:18

There's really no need to keep taking shots at the metro apps because they aren't advanced enough at this point, most of them aren't meant to be anyways.

:blink:

#21 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 August 2012 - 22:20

:blink:

Yes, I can tell you're shocked by this, yet it's true.

#22 Kyang

Kyang

Posted 01 August 2012 - 22:20

Is there a way to get the music and video apps to start with my content instead of showing the "spotlight" and other ads? Or at the very least, do they remember the last view?

#23 georgevella

georgevella

Software Developer

Posted 01 August 2012 - 22:21

What you wrote down makes little sense. I clearly said I think they're fine on tablet.

Yeah yeah I know, I was just nitpicking on your particular quote ;)

#24 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 August 2012 - 22:23

I don't seen anything about stocks

#25 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 01 August 2012 - 22:23

Yes, I can tell you're shocked by this, yet it's true.

I'm shocked by this because when Windows 8 was still in beta apologists kept saying "Wait until the product is finished". Now Windows 8 hit RTM people still aren't allowed to criticize the over-simplicity of the build-in apps? Redirecting people to the desktop is just a lame response. Especially because there are no build-in desktop counterparts that actually offer more functionality.

#26 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 01 August 2012 - 22:24

Nice! Finally a good way to browse local music in the music app. Noticed "Xbox smartglass' when i connected the companion app to the xbox today.

Isn't that pretty much how it is in RP? :/ Note how "my music" is still not the main landing page. :crazy:

#27 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

Posted 01 August 2012 - 22:26

if ones needs aren't met on that side of the OS then go to the one that does, best of both worlds.

How is it the best of both worlds if you have to decide for each task which 'side of the OS' to choose?!

#28 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 August 2012 - 22:32

I'm shocked by this because when Windows 8 was still in beta apologists kept saying "Wait until the product is finished". Now Windows 8 hit RTM people still aren't allowed to criticize the over-simplicity of the build-in apps?

It's like criticizing notepad for not being like word at this point. If they get more advanced features great but it doesn't seem like it. Now you can find another app that might do more or go back to the desktop, they're valid choices. Besides, I was being general about metro apps and not specific to the built in ones. It seems like regardless though, people have defaulted to the thinking that they're all going to be simple.

How is it the best of both worlds if you have to decide for each task which 'side of the OS' to choose?!

What? You're always deciding what to use for a specific task, if one app doesn't do it for you you use another one, if I need to make some simple changes to an image compared to advanced editing jobs I'm not going to start photoshop. It's the same idea, it's the best of both worlds because you have the choice between what works best depending on the task/situation from the get go instead of being forced into doing it one way or the other.

#29 Anthonyd

Anthonyd

Neowinian

Posted 01 August 2012 - 22:33

Paint sux, must rant about it in every single Windows topic.

#30 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 01 August 2012 - 22:35

It's like criticizing notepad for not being like word at this point.

I'll be sure to remember you said Microsoft's build-in Metro apps are about as advanced as Notepad. Cheers. (Y)