1 hour ago, @breectattoo said:

Ok lol so I know this thread is over 7 years old, but I just want to clear up a few things for people that may stumble across this thread like I did.

Petroleum jelly should NEVER be put on a tattoo other than it being a lubricant to help the needle penetrate the skin during the tattooing process. It doesn’t moisturise the skin what so ever, and it won’t let it breathe in order to heal properly.

Needles should never, EVER be re-used, and the industry standard now is generally to only use disposable grips, as autoclaves just aren’t sufficient in terms of getting everything out. When the skin is tattooed it will produce a fine mist of blood, plasma, ink, etc, that gets inside the tube and it’s just an unnecessary risk. As for needles I can’t even imagine how it would be even possible to effectively decontaminate a tight needle grouping, as well as the fact that the needles will get blunter. They should be opened new out of a sterile packet EVERY time, and the client should witness it happen.

As for tattoos turning green, it has absolutely nothing to do with the depth what so ever. The reason tattoos used to fade to green was due to using older Indian inks. Newer inks have more of a blue base, so rather than fading to green they’ll fade to a very dark navy after many many years, but they generally stay blacker for longer. Newer inks should never fade to green. 

Also, in terms of fading, it isn’t being on a ‘stretchy’ piece of skin that will make it fade. The stretching isn’t what fades it. The reason some areas fade more than others is because some areas get a lot more wear. Elbows and knees for example, get a lot more wear and tear on the skin than other parts of your arms and legs. Ankle tattoos can fade faster due to rubbing on shoes every day. Finger tattoos often fade because your fingers are constantly being used, rubbed against things, washed, and generally the skin goes through a lot more wear than other places. Has nothing to do with how stretchy the area is. 

I hope I don’t sound like an ass or anything, just wanted to get the information out there! I hope your tattoo is holding up well :)

Thank you for your post. You provided some excellent information!!