Photo

Which Linux distribution to choose for work and programming?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Mello741

Mello741

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:29

Hello. So, I decided to change my main OS (with Win 7 dual boot) to one of Linux distributions but I really don't know which one. My main goal is to have convenient desktop enviroment for working and programming (dual screen) but as lightweight as possible. I don't need any special effects, I just need simple and comfortable desktop enviroment. I have some experience with Ubuntu but not very much, I know basic things.

I have Asus N53SM laptop with these specifications:

15.6-inch glossy 720p display (1366x768 resolution)t

Intel Core i7-2670QM quad-core processor (2.2GHz, up to 3.1GHz Turbo Boost, 6MB cache, 45W TDP)

Nvidia GeForce GT 630M graphics card w/ 2GB memory

4GB DDR3-1333 RAM (max. supported)

500GB 7200RPM hard drive + Westen Digital 1TB 3.5" External HDD

Atheros AR9002WB-1NG

Integrated Bluetooth wireless

Integrated 720p webcam

Internal tray-load DVD burner (DS8A8SH)

6-cell li-ion battery (56Whr, 5200mAh)

#2 MidnightDevil

MidnightDevil

Resident Evil

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:31

Debian. Even though I see lot's of people using Ubuntu and have no issues with it.

#3 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:33

I use Opensuse and i like it, but for lightweight i hear Arch Mentioned a lot

#4 OP Mello741

Mello741

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:45

And what about Linux Mint?

#5 bjoswald

bjoswald

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Aria

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:53

I assume any of the major ones could be configured to be a development environment, but to answer your question, I read somewhere that Linus Torvalds himself said Fedora is ideal for development work. Perhaps you could try that?

#6 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:58

Do you want a stable working environment or bleeding edge software?

For a stable working environment I would suggest Debian 6.0 or CentOS. Maybe Ubuntu 12.04 if you enjoy the Unity desktop.
If you want bleeding edge software, install Fedora or Arch.

#7 deep1234

deep1234

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:04

I know this is off the topic but. I would like to ask what programming language you are going to use?

#8 OP Mello741

Mello741

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:06

Do you want a stable working environment or bleeding edge software?

For a stable working environment I would suggest Debian 6.0 or CentOS. Maybe Ubuntu 12.04 if you enjoy the Unity desktop.
If you want bleeding edge software, install Fedora or Arch.

It doesn't matter really. I were thinking about Arch now. It has one of the best documentations that I've ever seen and you can configure a lot, so it can be everything - with lots of effects or simple ant lightweight. I think it should be a great experience with Linux. It's hard to choose really.

Let's say that I'll stay with Arch. What about desktop enviroment? LXDE, XFCE, Gnome? What's the difference of them in performance?

I know this is off the topic but. I would like to ask what programming language you are going to use?

Python, later Java maybe.

#9 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:33

For general use I use Arch for it's lightness and configurability. For development though I always found Fedora to be a great distro. It's tooled up to the eyeballs and bleeding edge too so you can always develop with the latest stuff.

EDIT:

Let's say that I'll stay with Arch. What about desktop enviroment? LXDE, XFCE, Gnome? What's the difference of them in performance?

Personally I'm an XFCE guy, always have been. Very customizable, and very lightweight too. It doesn't have many dependencies and in general I find that it just stays out of the way when I'm working. I find Gnome to be too bloated (although my experience with Gnome 3 is limited), and KDE to be (still) ugly as sin. LXDE I haven't tried, but I've heard good things.

#10 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:36

As far as desktop environments go - there is no objective best one. Try them out and find the one you like the most.

Oh and: Welcome to Neowin.

#11 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:39

For the past couple days (mostly for the Shift2) I've been running with Arch. I have Cinnamon installed as the DE and have Mono installed. Runs great, I have broken it a couple times, but that's just in noobiness to linux as a whole.

#12 OP Mello741

Mello741

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:47

For general use I use Arch for it's lightness and configurability. For development though I always found Fedora to be a great distro. It's tooled up to the eyeballs and bleeding edge too so you can always develop with the latest stuff.

EDIT:

Personally I'm an XFCE guy, always have been. Very customizable, and very lightweight too. It doesn't have many dependencies and in general I find that it just stays out of the way when I'm working. I find Gnome to be too bloated (although my experience with Gnome 3 is limited), and KDE to be (still) ugly as sin. LXDE I haven't tried, but I've heard good things.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll try to install Arch with XFCE now.

As far as desktop environments go - there is no objective best one. Try them out and find the one you like the most.

Oh and: Welcome to Neowin.

Thanks, it's an awesome forum with great community!

And by the way, if I'll have some questions about Arch, should I change name of topic or just create a new one?

#13 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:54

I would suggest starting a new topic if you run into any issues with installing Arch.

#14 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:57

I would suggest starting a new topic if you run into any issues with installing Arch.

That and make have the Arch Wiki up on another system if you're new to it, for the most part it holds your hand through the installation process. (And is a great reference overall for this distro.) The install is pretty straightforward but if you're new to the *Nix thing in general it can be a bit daunting.. not as friendly as something like the 'Buntu's.

#15 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:02

EDIT:

Yes,
XFCE all the way, if you want lite!! Which makes Xubuntu the best option if you want to use that junk Ubuntu!

Personally,
I don't like it. Ubuntu, that is.

Linux Arch or Mint, would probably be best suited for you.

I like Zenwalk myself (Slackware based) Most of the stuff you usually have to find on the side like flash and zip and codecs, is already included in the software.
http://www.zenwalk.org/