British ships banned from docking in Buenos Aires

London - Telegraph - Ships flying the British ensign have been banned from docking in Argentina's largest province under a new law passed yesterday.

The legislature of Buenos Aires province voted to prohibit vessels sailing under the British flag from ?mooring, loading or carrying out logistical operations? in any of its ports.

The bill was brought forward by Patricia Cubr?a, a deputy belonging to President Cristina Kirchner?s Front for Victory coalition.

It was nicknamed ?Gaucho Rivero? after Antonio Rivero, nicknamed the ?Gaucho?, an Argentine cowboy who led an uprising in the Falkland Islands against the British in 1833.

?He fought so that the Argentine flag could fly in the Falklands,? Ms Cubr?a said.

The law is designed to hinder British ships involved in oil exploration in waters belonging to the islands and will be seen as the latest in a series of provocations in the run up to the 30th anniversary of the Falklands War.

source

So the islanders (the natives for all intents and purposes) don't get a say in the matter according to Argentina?

It makes me laugh when Argentina accuses the British of colonialism yet they completely disregard the will of the inhabitants. Not only that, but they themselves are descended from Spanish colonials. The hypocrisy is astonishing.

It was nicknamed ?Gaucho Rivero? after Antonio Rivero, nicknamed the ?Gaucho?, an Argentine cowboy who led an uprising in the Falkland Islands against the British in 1833.

?He fought so that the Argentine flag could fly in the Falklands,? Ms Cubr?a said.

Someone should tell her that the 5 members worked for the Argentinian Luis Vernet who insisted on paying everyone with IOUs which was the main reason Rivero murdered 5 people, she also forgot to mention the entire reason they were caught was Rivero betrayed the other gauchos, she also seems to forget to mention this was the entire reason Britain retook control of the islands after allowing Luis Vernet to run a settlement. Not much of a hero but you take what you can get I guess.

• Like 1

What if a British came in to port under an EU flag?

Spoofing ship signatures is frowned upon. The port could just call Microsoft Genuine Advantage to verify the authenticity of the flag.

• Like 2

Spoofing ship signatures is frowned upon. The port could just call Microsoft Genuine Advantage to verify the authenticity of the flag.

I lulled.

PLEASE, not another Falkland War....jeezzzz ....

There won't be one, at least not like the last one. They have no choice but to try and take the Diplomatic route.

So what happened? Has relations between GB and Argentina just never recovered over the Falkland Islands War? Was this arbitrarily decided? Is there any more to this?

So what happened? Has relations between GB and Argentina just never recovered over the Falkland Islands War? Was this arbitrarily decided? Is there any more to this?

If there is, I have no idea either and I'm from the UK. This is purely a political thing it seems.

If there is, I have no idea either and I'm from the UK. This is purely a political thing it seems.

The Falklands have been a source of disagreement before and after the war, the only reason they invaded last time was because it looked like we didnt want them, we only had 30 marines on the Island. The current Military Junta of the time was on the verge of civil unrest, so he invaded the Island to unite the people against a common enemy.

So now they are trying to starve and isolate the Falklands, any Ship with a British or Falkland Island flag isnt allowed to dock in Argentinian ports, I dont know why this is only being announced now, its been Argentinian policy for months and months, Argentina also has backing from many South American countries so they enforce the block in their ports too, many countries have also been bullied by Argentina into following their policy. They are even thinking about forbidding the LAN Chile flight from entering their Airspace, this flight heads to the Falklands once a week and is largely subsidized by the Falklands Government, it brings South American works over and other people wishing to visit. If they have to bypass Argentina all together the flight costs would double.

Argentina would never invade again, it was political suicide and made most of the World side with the British in determining who owns the Islands, plus the Argentinian military has only gotten smaller and smaller since the war, the current President is paranoid about the Military overthrowing her so she cuts their defence budget repeatedly, it's a fraction of what it once was, Argentina only has a tiny fighting force, and the bulk of that is stationed on the border to the north.

Combine that with the fact the British presence has only gotten bigger, hundreds and hundreds of troops are stationed on the Island, Typhoon Fighter Jets are permenantly on alert, Air Defence Radars monitor all Air traffic over Argentina, the second one deviated and headed over to the Island we'd know, several Rapier AA batteries are positioned on the Island too, The Royal Navy always have one ship docked at the Island, and a British Nuclear submarine patrols somewhere around South America.

Up until two years ago the UK and argentina were getting along okay, then their president presided over big internal difficulties and needed a scapegoat so her people would support her again, with the 30 year falklands time coming up we made the perfect distraction for her government.