Photo

Hey Look: Aero is NOT Gone in Windows 8 RTM!

win8 aero

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#16 OP Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:43

I agree with the OP, but keep in mind that the new theme is not just the Release Preview theme without transparency. The window frames are different. The taskbar is also different (no more smoked corners at the left and right of the taskbar and also no more blur effect). It looks much simpler now. Oh, and the theme is still called aero in Windows/Resources/Themes.

I KNOW that the RTM theme looks really different, including different close/minimize buttons, Window frames, taskbar, ribbon, etc. However, those have nothing to do with the point of the thread. The look of the ribbon won't prove anything about Aero. The screenshots in RP are good enough to explain the point. If someone is skeptical, they can try replicating these in RTM.

Nice to see it's still called aero internally. But the branding is gone. If you open the personalization window, it doesn't say "Aero" themes anymore.

#17 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:46

the branding of Aero is gone. The actual features of aero is still present.

Take it up with Microsoft if you feel they're being unclear about what 'Aero' is.

Aero gave the appearance of highly-rendered glass, light sources, reflections, and other graphically complex textures in the title bars, taskbar, and other system surfaces.

#18 OP Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:49

Take it up with Microsoft if you feel they're being unclear about what 'Aero' is.

I won't disagree that MS made description Aero a but unclear. But I think what you are describing there is just a portion of the entire Aero experience. But again, from Microsoft's description, Windows 8 is not Aero. But I think Aero is the entire DDWM experience.

#19 anidais

anidais

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:51

Nice to see it's still called aero internally. But the branding is gone. If you open the personalization window, it doesn't say "Aero" themes anymore.

The default theme is just called "Windows".

#20 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:51

Aero is the GUI hardware acceleration engine, and Aero Glass was the Default theme that ran on it and had transparent effects.

Aero Glass is gone... not Aero (engine/code)

This really isn't hard to understand..

#21 MASTER260

MASTER260

Proud Script Kiddie.

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:56

But glass was my favorite part about Aero, & I always considered it the main part...

#22 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:57

Aero is the GUI hardware acceleration engine, and Aero Glass was the Default theme that ran on it and had transparent effects.

Which MS calls the 'Aero visual style' or even just 'Aero' at times which might be the source of part of the confusion here. MS have moved beyond the Aero visual style (alternatively called Aero Glass ).

#23 Lirodon

Lirodon

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2012 - 22:04

Aero Glass is gone... not Aero (engine/code)

This really isn't hard to understand..

Actually, the engine is called the Desktop Window Manager. Its clearly still there.

#24 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

Posted 03 August 2012 - 22:05

I don't remember anyone complaining that aero was gone, just aero glass. Even if they didn't specifically reference aero glass, I knew what they were talking about. It's fairly evident that DWM is all still there.

#25 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 03 August 2012 - 22:13

Seeing how even in the RTM they left the taskbar with a bit of transparency then then option or ability to turn it back on to how it was at the RP should still be in there, just hidden. I doubt they actually went though all the trouble to just rip out the code for windows borders yet left the taskbar with it.

I give it a few weeks and someone will find and release a hack or a tweak tool that will let you go crazy with transparency again, or if not that then some custom theme will add it back

Personally I'm ok without glass borders as long as I can tweak the thickness of the new solid borders. I'm all for the Office 2013 style thin borders with a thin drop shadow.

#26 Windows Nashville

Windows Nashville

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2012 - 22:27

Hey Look: Aero is NOT Gone in Windows 8 RTM!

But everything that was attractive about Aero IS gone, so your point is nothing but semantics.

#27 Phixion

Phixion

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2012 - 22:34

Final Remark: YOU MISSED THE POINT!

#28 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 03 August 2012 - 22:43

You are confusing desktop composition (provided by the DWM) with the Aero theme. The Aero theme required desktop composition, but it is not the same thing. Desktop composition is now always on in Windows 8 and cannot be disabled.

#29 stumper66

stumper66

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2012 - 23:24

Forget Aero. I want to know why you have Miley Cyrus in the 'Awesome 80's' folder!

#30 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 03 August 2012 - 23:46

I don't remember anyone complaining that aero was gone, just aero glass.

You clear didn't see the "Why did Microsoft remove aero?" topic then. People are getting confused because Microsoft hasn't been clear about the situation.

The reality is that Aero still exists, it's just been updated. Like a new model of car there will be some people that like the changes, some that don't and most people won't care / notice the difference. And like a new model of car the reason it changes is not because the old version was bad or that the new version is better but rather to differentiate the new version, to keep it fresh in the minds of consumers. Microsoft did exactly the same when moving from Vista to 7. For what it's worth I like the new theme. I don't love it; I don't think it's the biggest improvement in history; I don't think it's going to redefine the world. There are simply subtle changes that I appreciate.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!