Photo

Hey Look: Aero is NOT Gone in Windows 8 RTM!

win8 aero

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#46 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 August 2012 - 20:11

Is it just me, or is Windows 8 desktop mode extremely ugly? Even in Windows 7 - transparency disabled is ugly. Aero without glass makes me want to puke :(

#47 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 04 August 2012 - 21:39

Is it just me, or is Windows 8 desktop mode extremely ugly? Even in Windows 7 - transparency disabled is ugly. Aero without glass makes me want to puke :(

It's just you. I think Aero in Windows 8 is the best it has ever looked. But then again, I've always been a fan of minimal, simplistic UIs. Always loved the Windows Classic theme and always went from the most minimal looks in Linux. I, for one, really like the squared windows, simplified widgets, etc.

#48 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 21:43

It's just you. I think Aero in Windows 8 is the best it has ever looked.

Same here. Someone complained about the look of the Screen Saver Settings window in another thread. Personally I think, it has never before looked as tasteful as this:

EDIT: Wait a minute...that was you! :laugh:

Attached Images

• screensaver.png

#49 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 04 August 2012 - 21:54

Same here. Someone complained about the look of the Screen Saver Settings window in another thread. Personally I think, it has never before looked as tasteful as this:

EDIT: Wait a minute...that was you! :laugh:

I was referring specifically to the continued use of that 9x-era monitor icon. The Aero look in of itself I think looks best in Win8.

#50 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 21:57

I was referring specifically to the continued use of that 9x-era monitor icon.

Got it.

#51 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 04 August 2012 - 22:11

Has anyone actually tried installing the Windows 7 Aero glass in Windows 8? I'd try it but just removed 8 since I can't get any GPU driver to install.

#52 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 83

Posted 04 August 2012 - 22:14

I liked Glass, but it was poorly implemented. Depending on the desktop background Window titles were barely readable anyway?

#53 Deihmos

Deihmos

Neowinian

Posted 04 August 2012 - 22:15

But everything that was attractive about Aero IS gone, so your point is nothing but semantics.

That is exactly it. I can't get over how bland Windows 8 desktop looks in comparison. I don't see myself switching from Win 7 anytime soon which is a first for me.

#54 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 August 2012 - 22:17

Has anyone actually tried installing the Windows 7 Aero glass in Windows 8? I'd try it but just removed 8 since I can't get any GPU driver to install.

Doubt it would work without hacking the theming engine to bypass the integrity check.

#55 Deihmos

Deihmos

Neowinian

Posted 04 August 2012 - 22:21

You clear didn't see the "Why did Microsoft remove aero?" topic then. People are getting confused because Microsoft hasn't been clear about the situation.

The reality is that Aero still exists, it's just been updated. Like a new model of car there will be some people that like the changes, some that don't and most people won't care / notice the difference. And like a new model of car the reason it changes is not because the old version was bad or that the new version is better but rather to differentiate the new version, to keep it fresh in the minds of consumers. Microsoft did exactly the same when moving from Vista to 7. For what it's worth I like the new theme. I don't love it; I don't think it's the biggest improvement in history; I don't think it's going to redefine the world. There are simply subtle changes that I appreciate.

No one is confused and no one is concerned about the Aero engine. The new look of the desktop is what is of concern. According to Microsoft the eye candy was removed so Windows can become touch friendly. The whole thing is ridiculous.

#56 anidais

anidais

Neowinian

Posted 04 August 2012 - 22:29

I liked Glass, but it was poorly implemented. Depending on the desktop background Window titles were barely readable anyway?

Yes, that was one of the issues with the aero glass interface. In Windows 8 this has been partially solved, because using a dark window frame results in the window titles being unreadable.

#57 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 04 August 2012 - 23:40

Doubt it would work without hacking the theming engine to bypass the integrity check.

That's just it, Aero Glass is signed, it shouldn't require a hack.

#58 Raa

Raa

Resident president

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:03

Can I has "Classic Aero" theme now? :p

#59 Excelsis

Excelsis

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:10

The Win8 RP theme works in the RTM but Aero Glass still doesnt work, the borders/titlebar stay opaque.

#60 Panda X

Panda X

Neowinian

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:24

The Win8 RP theme works in the RTM but Aero Glass still doesnt work, the borders/titlebar stay opaque.

Yeah that opaque-ness isn't controlled by any property in the msstyles unfortunately :(