Stallman Calls Valve Games on Linux ‘Unethical’

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
147 replies to this topic

#16 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 August 2012 - 18:46

Not all software will be open source, Rick needs to just accept this eventuality and move on. There's nothing unethical about using closed source software on an open platform.

#17 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

Posted 04 August 2012 - 18:54

Well I'd rather have DRM'ed software on Linux than not have it.

Not to mention, that Steam is DRM done in a decent manner.

Exactly! Steam is one of the few DRM mechanisms in place I'm totally cool with - not to mention the massive benefits of Steam (versus CD-only installation with a serial key) far outweigh the small inconveniences.

#18 OP Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 August 2012 - 20:46

Not all software will be open source, Rick needs to just accept this eventuality and move on. There's nothing unethical about using closed source software on an open platform.

I don't understand his view in the regard of "what if you aren't a programmer to begin with?"

Most people want to use programs not recreate them, I understand his passion but it's an ideal.

#19 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 August 2012 - 20:48

I don't understand his view in the regard of "what if you aren't a programmer to begin with?"

Most people want to use programs not recreate them, I understand his passion but it's an ideal.

Precisely. I'm not a software developer so where a product comes from is of no consequence to me. If it fits my needs, I use it.

#20 SirEvan

SirEvan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted 04 August 2012 - 21:33

Everyone who lunches on their own foot skin agrees with this man. Everyone else does not.

da hell did you just say?

#21 The Laughing Man

The Laughing Man

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 August 2012 - 21:36

da hell did you just say?

Watch that, then you'll understand.

#22 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 04 August 2012 - 21:42

Watch that, then you'll understand.

... I knew I shouldn't have hit the play button on that, but noooo I go and push it anyway. Ew.

#23 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 04 August 2012 - 22:11

Every time someon criticises RMS for his views, the critic doesn't get it. RMS is fully aware that software freedom is a compromise between complete closed-ness and complete openness (contrary to popular belief, he's an immensely smart man), but he maintains his idealst views because he has to. Because if he doesn't, there's one less person to fight for our freedom to hack, and to promote free software. He represents the idea that all software should be free to be modified as the customer sees fit, and it's a noble ideal. Even if you're not a programmer, the idea that you could fiddle with the internals of all your software is one that everyone can agree would be positive (i.e. for the end user, there is zero downside), however profit-seeking companies and individuals prefer to keep their software closed in order to maintain an advantage over the competition, and that too is fine.

If RMS was to say "Well, I'm normally against DRM restrictions, but in Valves case I'll let it slide because they make good games", the free software movement has lost. The free software movement maintains unreasonable ideals because at the end of the day, even if the majority of software only manages to be 50% free according to RMS' beliefs, it's a victory for free software and consumer rights.

He's not the hero software developers deserve, but the one they need.

#24 Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 August 2012 - 22:13

This guy is nuts.. isn't this the guy who ate his own foot nails while getting interviewed.. disgusting

EDIT.. nevermind.. I see someone already posted it.. awful..

#25 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 04 August 2012 - 22:40

Every time someon criticises RMS for his views, the critic doesn't get it. RMS is fully aware that software freedom is a compromise between complete closed-ness and complete openness (contrary to popular belief, he's an immensely smart man), but he maintains his idealst views because he has to. Because if he doesn't, there's one less person to fight for our freedom to hack, and to promote free software. He represents the idea that all software should be free to be modified as the customer sees fit, and it's a noble ideal. Even if you're not a programmer, the idea that you could fiddle with the internals of all your software is one that everyone can agree would be positive (i.e. for the end user, there is zero downside), however profit-seeking companies and individuals prefer to keep their software closed in order to maintain an advantage over the competition, and that too is fine.

If RMS was to say "Well, I'm normally against DRM restrictions, but in Valves case I'll let it slide because they make good games", the free software movement has lost. The free software movement maintains unreasonable ideals because at the end of the day, even if the majority of software only manages to be 50% free according to RMS' beliefs, it's a victory for free software and consumer rights.

QFT!

While I don't agree with RMS most of the time, I also understand why he does what he does. This is probably the best summary of his beliefs I have ever read. (Also, I really like the Dark Knight allusion.)

#26 Athernar

Athernar

?

Posted 04 August 2012 - 22:52

That simply isn't true. If anything RMS's incessant moralising and absolutist rhetoric "scare off" far more people than it draws in.

Eric S. Raymond wrote a brilliant blogpost about RMS here that sums the matter up nicely.

#27 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 04 August 2012 - 23:02

So what exactly is his problem? He should be glad that Valve is doing this for Linux. No one is forced to pay for anything. If Linux users want to pay for the games, then they will. If they don't, then they don't. I don't see the issue here.

#28 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 04 August 2012 - 23:04

That simply isn't true. If anything RMS's incessant moralising and absolutist rhetoric "scare off" far more people than it draws in.

Eric S. Raymond wrote a brilliant blogpost about RMS here that sums the matter up nicely.

I agree entirely that his expression of opinion is off the rails (hell, one need only point to his opinions on paedophilia to see what we mean), but his unwaivering belief in the ideals he stands for is admirable in my opinion. We need fanatics like Stallman around to counter the fanatics like Ballmer that consider free software a cancer, and a man who's equally off the rails when it comes to expressing his opinions.

ADDENDUM

Any half-smart person should be able to see that most of what he says is hyperbole, but then the people at the other end of the scale try equally as hard to make people close their software to the disadvantage of the consumer.

#29 PsYcHoKiLLa

PsYcHoKiLLa

Views expressed are not necessarily those of the management

• Phone: LG Nexus 4

Posted 04 August 2012 - 23:09

Aw bless, foot munching, some geeks shouldn't be brought out of the dark dingy computer room, christ alone knows what he gets up to when he's in there.

#30 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 04 August 2012 - 23:11

Stalman is an idiotic old school communist, no one really pays him any attention, we all live in the real world, unlike him

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!