windows server 03 to new server 08r2

Ive searched but i feel i have not found the exact info i need so thanks to all reading and replying to this.

ok so i have dabbled in the server world a bit but now i have a task to accomplish for a small company .

About 30 workstaions as of now.

Any way. they currently have a server on the rack its windows server 03.

We just got in a new server form lenovo with windows server 2008 r2. My task here is to copy everything form 03 to the 08 server.

the 03 server is running 1 Domain , Dns ,File sharing, Wins, and some others i can list monday when i have it infront of me.

I just need a basic proccess to swap everything over and make it as least complicated as possible.'

Ive heard lots of things such as demote and promote and its got my head spinning . I dont know if it helps but the company has 30 clients and they use 2 different softwares for invoicing and what not that go to the server and so on,

my understanding is that the current 03 server is sharing the folders on a mapped network drive on the server . if that helps ya.

Also just to be clear because i am already confusing myself here,lol. THE NEW server will need to be as close to identical as the old (03) server that way the clients can still connect and i dont have to re configure all the pcs to a new domain and all that jazz.

im gonna need a step by step here be genlte

Thanks,

Joe

I know your asking for help. but i would hire someone to do it. The process isn't that hard, but if you've never done it before theres a few steps. You could try doing what you will perform on vms over the weekend.

it really isn't that hard to do. having the new server as a duplicate ad controller and moving data over is a cake walk. It just takes time depending on how much data we are moving. I would say 30min to an hr to get the domain migrated over to the new box and moving data will take the longest. I could do it remotely which would take a bit longer, maybe 2 hrs remote depending on speeds.

Here are the steps you need to take, if it is too confusing stop and hire someone to do it for you.

First you will need to forestprep and domainprep the 2003 server to get it ready to accept the 2008 server.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731728(v=ws.10).aspx

After you do that you can join the new 2008 server as a domain controller. I personally like making it a member server first, enable zone transfers on the 2003 server in dns, make the 2008 server a dns server that is replicating the zones from the 2003 server (making it a secondary zone). Change the DNS pointer in tcpip properties to point to itself as primary and the 2003 server as secondary as well as giving it a static ip on the local network. Once all that is done you can run the active directory wizard (dcpromo) to make it a domain controller.

After you do that you will need to transfer the fsmo roles over.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324801

you will want to make the 2008 server the global catalog server of the site and disable the 2003 server global catalog

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755257.aspx

Once this is all complete, the 2008 server has all of the roles that make it the fmso role holder, or as I call it the primary DC (microsoft has done away with this terminology).

Next onto copying everything over from server1 to server2. I would suggest using robocopy in 2008 to migrate everything over. The command line goes like this:

robocopy source destination /e /copyall /mt:10 /r:5 /log:%userprofile%\desktop\robocopy.txt

you will need to replace the source with your 2003 server data location, it could be \\servername\e$

you will need tor eplace the destination with your 2008 server data location, it could be e:

/e copies all subdirectorys and empty directories and their content

/copyall copies all security information from the files

/mt:10 copyies 10 files at a time, so it doesn't wait for one file to be done for the next one to start. this will speed up the copy process tremendously

/r:5 retries the files 5 times if they are in use

/log:%userprofile%\desktop\robocopy.txt creates a log file on your desktop that will show you what it is doing, this is highly recommended when using the /mt switch. it will make it go faster.

do not close the cmd window until it returns to a c prompt. if you get a blinking cursor the command is still functioning. if you close out prior it will not complete.

After the copy is done all you should have to do it recreate the shares and change the logon script to point to the new server.

You will need to duplicate the dhcp scope on the new server, after duplicated you can disable it on the old 2003 server.

Once that is all complete, you can run dcpromo on the old 2003 server and remove turn it off.

A good start:

How to replace single domain controller in domain with a single domain controller?

Upgrade from Windows 2000/2003 to 2008/2008 R2 Domain Controllers

Replacing a domain controller is by no means an easy task but just take it a step at a time an don't be afraid to ask questions, or just pay someone to do it.

Replacing a domain controller is by no means an easy task but just take it a step at a time an don't be afraid to ask questions, or just pay someone to do it.

I guess that depends. It is very very easy for me, I have done so many I could do it in my sleep. I have given my steps and everyone that I have done has been flawless. If the OP does not understand anything that I have typed, then they should give it to someone who can.

thanks for the help guys i will post an update. Hiring someone isnt something id like to do because i wan to learn more about this and its not on a time limit so i can restart over and over and know the the original server is ok.

during any of the steps you posted do i have to logoff al the workstations or can this be done while the computers are working with no interuptions ( in the background so to speak)

Computers can be on, they won't notice a thing. Even when you do the file copy, if you use robocopy, they can be on. You will just need to re run the robocopy after they have left for the day, it will automatically copy only the new and changed files and leave the files that were previously copied. The only time that the machines will notice is when you need to change the pointers for drive mappings or shares and mapped network printers, you should do this part after hours so that when the users come in first thing in the morning they will fire up their computers and really not notice anything.

As you know for a DC to be a DC it needs to have a statically assigned IP address.

This is where you would assign the IPs of the internal DNS servers. What more do you need elaboration with? The whole process? You need to have the secondary dns setup prior to changing the preferred dns to itself.

post-118098-0-75275700-1344532422.jpg

what i was talking about was the dns address where you say that they need to pint to each other and so on what is the process ,just taking the primary from 03 and making it the primary in 08? and Should the Static ip form 03 be placed in 08 or do i assign a new one,

On a second note when i put the 08r2 disc in the 03 server it wont let me run the forest prep it comes back as unexpected operation in command prompt

The dns servers need to be actual dns servers, you can't make that up or give it some random number.

You need to make the local server ip its primary dns, and the other server the secondary.

Read the link that I posted in its entirety.

from what I posted

In Windows Server 2008 R2, Adprep is available in a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version. The 64-bit version runs by default. If you need to run Adprep on a 32-bit computer, run the 32-bit version (Adprep32.exe).

Ok just so i get this right. The 08 server gets a static ip . which then becomes the primary dns and the seondary dns is going to be the primary dns off the 03 server?

Wait i read it a little slower

Im going to give 08 a static ip .....and then the primary dns will be 03's IP and the secondary DNS will Be the IP for 08

Right?

Ok just so i get this right. The 08 server gets a static ip . which then becomes the primary dns and the seondary dns is going to be the primary dns off the 03 server?

the 2008 server gets a static ip address. the primary dns points to the 03 server first. After the 08 server becomes a dns server, you will change the primary dns to point to the 08 server and the secondary to point to the 03 server. The 03 server should be pointing to itself as the primary dns server and the alternate will point to the 08 server. There should be no internet dns servers listed in a AD domain (servers, dhcp scope, client workstations and/or devices), AD DNS will redirect appropriately.

OK so i will have to make 08 primary DNS point to 03 IP......at first ... then i have to configure the dns with a wizard? could you explain the process of setting up the dns on 08. it sounds like i cant just go in tcip setting and type it in?

If it helps so far i have run forest and domain prep joined 08 as member server and i was just going to type all that dns stuff in the tcip settings but it sounds like im missing something here

ID LIKE TO SAY YOU ARE BEING SO GREAT I APPRECIATE THE PATIENCE, I KNOW IVE GOT TO BE DRAGGING THE HELL OUT OF THIS :)

Ok i just realized something when i i first turned the 08 server on i ran the DNS wizard and typed some random stuff so i assume ill have to redo it.

At the moment im not sure if the name should be the same as the server running 03 or if it can be different the dns i made in 08 i called austin server the 03 server is called data server . Man im lost here , i think i just need steps for a new dns set up and the way it should be done.

thanks

03 server, dns, in each dns zone (forward and reverse), zone transfer tab, allow zone transfers to any server.

in 08 server dns, create a secondary zone for each zone in the 03 server exactly like it is spelled out on the 03 server and point to the 03 server to get its records from. wait for replication (takes about 15 seconds), refresh after 30 seconds to a minute to populate.

Change dns pointers in tcpip properties of each server. if it takes you longer than 15 min stop and seek professional help.

remember you are creating secondary zones in the new 2008 server not the 2003 server. if you already have any zones in the 2008 server delete them and create secondary zones, not primary zones.

got it i clicked the advanced view tab and they were in there. i checked the details and they match my 03 server so some how they got in there.

my only problem is when i go to copy a dns called 168.168.192.in-addr.arp it copys fine but then when you oopen it it says cannot be loaded from server correct problem and press f5 to refresh. is this normal for that reverse dns zone . the other ones transfered no problem

Ok im running dc promo i selected existing forest when i put the domain name and credentials it loads then says an active directory for the domain controller "austin air" could not be contacted

never mind it finnally went through

ok i ran the dc promo and this is the message i got when it finished is this normal or should i hit the back button.....

DNS server role is already installed on this server. However, the DNS server will not be configured because no existing domain controllers in this domain are authoritative DNS servers for the domain. Domain name resolution for this domain is provided by DNS servers outside the domain.

A domain controller running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 could not be located in this domain. To install a read-only domain controller, the domain must have a domain controller running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2.

The forest functional level is Windows 2000. To install a read-only domain controller, the forest functional level must be Windows Server 2003 or higher.

You cannot install a read-only domain controller at this time. You must first run "adprep /rodcprep" from a command window on any computer in this forest. The Adprep utility is available on the Windows Server 2008 R2 installation media in the \support\adprep folder.

08 server

Ip adress: 192.168.168.4

Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0

Defaultgateway: 192.168.168.1

Prefered DNS : 192.168.168.4

Alternate DNS: 192.168.168.2

03 SERVER

ip adress : 192.168.168.2

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 Prefered DNS: 192.168.168.2

Default gateway: 192.168.168.1 Alternate DNS 192.168.168.4