Photo

windows server 03 to new server 08r2

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#46 OP sickem

sickem

Neowinian

Posted 14 August 2012 - 17:37

lol... i did some digging and Ive seen that 08 server sometimes wont let you add a DC if the domain you're adding to is only 1 name . For example mine is austinair
And from what they are saying it should be austinair.com or . local .... Does that make sense to you?

#47 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 23

Posted 14 August 2012 - 18:50

that would be correct. After taking another look at your screen shots (wasn't looking at your domain names), I dont know how in the world someone set that up like that. It would have produced all sorts of red flags during the setup process. Now you have a much more difficult process a head of you.

http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=19188

Or you rebuild from scratch.

#48 OP sickem

sickem

Neowinian

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:57

ok with this tool it looks like i install it on the 03 server and follow the prompts?... will this create downtime my good friend?

scratch that ... it looks like id be better off staring anew... any process info you can give me on that?

#49 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 August 2012 - 13:11

It would not create much noticable downtime other than the downtime to convert pcs from one domain to the other but it requires a lot of testing and time to get it right. There is a reason that there is a 250 page document on how to do it, it isn't because it is point and click followed by moronic drooling as the software completes the job for you..it actually requires you do something.

as far as building from scratch, it is exactly as it sounds, create a new domain and policies and migrate everything over manually. disjoining the computers from the old network, rejoining the computers to the new network, moving all of the data, creating the shares, reapplying permissions, resetting the profiles on each computer to use the old profile from the old domain for the users, etc etc.

#50 OP sickem

sickem

Neowinian

Posted 15 August 2012 - 17:23

so is there a way to copy over users and permissions ( robocopy maybe?)
what do you mean about reseting to use the old profile from the old domain .. do you mean new??

#51 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 August 2012 - 17:38

admt is the only way I know of how to do such a thing as copying users and permissions. It requires quite a bit of setup to do.

old profile is linked to the user on the old domain, you will need to link the old profile to the new domain or the computer will create a new blank profile for the user when you logon to the new domain.

#52 OP sickem

sickem

Neowinian

Posted 16 August 2012 - 14:29

thanks. im installing roles most of which im copying off the 03 server.. one thing im not sure of is if i need AD CS. what do ya think?

#53 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 August 2012 - 14:35

probably not. It is one of those "If you don't know and never used, you don't need" kind of things.

#54 OP sickem

sickem

Neowinian

Posted 16 August 2012 - 18:03

im sorry to be a pain but how do i get 03 too see 08 so i can use that tool to migrate?

#55 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 August 2012 - 18:37

read the 250 page documentation. you first start with a trust relationship between the domains. that is around page 50.