SAS hero jailed: Sergeant sentenced to two years after gun found

I don't care how it makes me look. If they are allowed to voice their opinion then shouldn't I be allowed to voice mine? No?

Voicing your opinion is one thing. Feeling victimised like you act in this particular thread is another.

There are countries out there where it's perfectly legal to have sex with your 14 year old daughter. I wonder if they're sitting at home going "I can't believe that's illegal in America, how stupid!".

Didn't you get the memo? Any country that has laws different to your own are barbaric and backwards.

There are countries out there where it's perfectly legal to have sex with your 14 year old daughter. I wonder if they're sitting at home going "I can't believe that's illegal in America, how stupid!".

How did I know someone would consider molesting a child is the same thing as owning a gun.

I mean I have a handgun sitting right next to me now and I look at it and think if I was in the U.K id get 2 years for that??

At the end of the day they were banned because of Dunblane school shooting, not because they are "evil". Kneejerk reaction, maybe. But I'd rather have very few people have access to them than everyone have access to them.

A lot of the guns that are seized from criminals are very old weapons, usually rusty or in a severe state of disrepair that are more likely to misfire than kill someone, usually used as a status symbol.

How did I know someone would consider molesting a child is the same thing as owning a gun.

Open your bloody eyes and read properly... i own guns, end of story pal.

The point isn;t the act it's the law.

Time you stopped sulking and realised that different countries have different laws. You bemoan the British coming in to gun threads and bashing you, yet you feel it's completely acceptable to do the same thing.

Open your bloody eyes and read properly... i own guns, end of story pal.

The point isn;t the act it's the law.

Time you stopped sulking and realised that different countries have different laws. You bemoan the British coming in to gun threads and bashing you, yet you feel it's completely acceptable to do the same thing.

I'm not sulking if you think im sitting here crying about it. At the end of the day I don't care but if one side is going to voice their opinion on me then I feel I should about them. Why can't I? Because i'm not British.That doesn't stop the British from commenting not only in gun threads but other threads targeted at American political views or rights. Yet you tell me to quit sulking and butt out lmao. Classic.

I have no problem with Americans criticising or commenting on UK gun laws or vice versa. This is an international forum and I'm always interested to hear alternative perspectives, even if I may not agree with them.

I'm not sulking if you think im sitting here crying about it. At the end of the day I don't care but if one side is going to voice their opinion on me then I feel I should about them. Why can't I? Because i'm not British.That doesn't stop the British from commenting not only in gun threads but other threads targeted at American political view or rights. Yet you tell me to quit sulking and butt out lmao. Classic.

What's "LMFAO Classic" about it? Or did you not think of anything useful to say.

I'm actually with you on a lot of things here, it's completely understandable to own a gun for hunting and hobby, that i've got no problem with.

However you bemoaning the British law system here calling for the guy to be extradited to America.

The guy knew the law, in fact he probably new it better than 90% of the people out there. He then chose to break the law so got a fitting punishment.

What's "LMFAO Classic" about it? Or did you not think of anything useful to say.

I'm actually with you on a lot of things here, it's completely understandable to own a gun for hunting and hobby, that i've got no problem with.

However you bemoaning the British law system here calling for the guy to be extradited to America.

The guy knew the law, in fact he probably new it better than 90% of the people out there. He then chose to break the law so got a fitting punishment.

Why because here you don't go to jail for 2 years for owning a handgun, I think he should be allowed to come here and own one without fear of being imprisoned. I think its unjust for anyone to go to jail for owning a handgun. Yes I know you have your laws and they have to be obeyed but that doesn't stop me from thinking its a B.S law.

Why because here you don't go to jail for 2 years for owning a handgun, I think he should be allowed to come here and own one without fear of being imprisoned.

OK so if i go and kill someone i should legally be allowed to move to any country where that's legal and not be punished by the country i committed the crime in?

Your logic is flawed, this isn;t about guns, this isn't about UK Vs USA, this is about your flawed idea of a global law for all!

Why because here you don't go to jail for 2 years for owning a handgun, I think he should be allowed to come here and own one without fear of being imprisoned.

So you think no country should have laws that differ to the US?

Yeah thats quite a leap in logic, I agree with the law so suddenly I don't give a toss about my countries men and women in the army????

I donate to Help 4 Heroes a British Charity that supports wounded soldiers, I also help with fund raisers for said charity, I have massive amounts of respect for someone who signs up to defend my country and way of life, I am disgusted at how my government treats the current and ex-forces.

Having said that the law is the law, you can't pick and choose what laws not to abide by because you don't agree with it, he is supposed to be the best of the best, an example to the rest of the forces. They can't just let him get away with it.

So someone deserves to lose their job and go to prison for 2 years for simply possessing a gun?

Now, without a job and criminal conviction, this person will likely end up on whatever public asistance is called there. All because he simply possessed a gun, ridiculous.

He deserved to be punished I agree since he broke the law, but this?

So someone deserves to lose their job and go to prison for 2 years for simply possessing a gun?

Yes! It's a very serious crime in the UK.

OK so if i go and kill someone i should legally be allowed to move to any country where that's legal?

Your logic is flawed, this isn;t about guns, this isn't about UK Vs USA, this is about your flawed idea of a global law for all!

Did he kill anyone? Murdering someone is against the law pretty much every where I believe. If he murdered someone I wouldn't want him in our country. But here owning a handgun isn't illegal so i'd welcome him here. What's your problem with that? The seriousness of the crime also comes into play. if he took the gun and murdered someone with it I wouldn't want him here, if he molested a child I wouldn't want him here. To me the seriousness of the crime committed isn't that serious. Should I ban someone from my country if they stole a piece of candy from a store when they were young?

Yup. In the UK the illegal owning of a lethal firearm is a very serious crime indeed.

Also, please don't just take it from that news paper (which is not the best paper over here) they've sensationalised the headline somewhat.

Did he kill anyone? Murdering someone is against the law pretty much every where I believe. If he murdered someone I wouldn't want him in our country. But here owning a handgun isn't illegal so i'd welcome him here. What's your problem with that? The seriousness of the crime also comes into play. if he took the gun and murdered someone with it I wouldn't want him here, if he molested a child I wouldn't want him here. To me the seriousness of the crime committed isn't that serious. Should I ban someone from my country if they stole a piece of candy from a store when they were young?

You're really comparing possessing a firearm in a country where it's highly illegal to stealing candy from a store?

You take everything far to literal. Look deeper at the sentences metaphorical overtones.

The story is the same however you look at it, guy does something illegal in one country, should he then be allowed to skip any form of punishment by moving to a country where it is legal? God no, is the answer.

You're really comparing possessing a firearm in a country where it's highly illegal to stealing candy from a store?

Why would I wouldn't I want him to come to my country? Because your law bans handguns?

Why would I wouldn't I want him to come to my country? Because your law bans handguns?

You'd be surprised to hear that there are other countries with laws that differ to American laws then.

You take everything far to literal. Look deeper at the sentences metaphorical overtones.

The story is the same however you look at it, guy does something illegal in one country, should he then be allowed to skip any form of punishment by moving to a country where it is legal? God no, is the answer.

People have done it. There was a story of a U.S soldier that when AWOL and moved to I believe it was Switzerland and he's been living there for over 10 years and they wont expedite him to the u.s. It happens here. People seek asylum in the U.S because of oppressive regimes. They come here and are able to do what they couldn't do in their former country. To me this is no different.

Also, he hasn't been thrown in jail for two years.

He is facing a court marshal and military punishment for two years for not only breaking the law but for also fragrant abuse of the armed forces (and SAS) rules on equipment and firearms, which, i'm pretty sure, would also carry a hefty punishment in the US.

The fact is he will probably be allowed to resume duty once punishment has been served.

People seek asylum in the U.S because of oppressive regimes. They come here and are able to do what they couldn't do in their former country. To me this is no different.

So the UK is now an oppressive regime because it has gun crime under control?

• Like 3

People have done it. There was a story of a U.S soldier that when AWOL and moved to I believe it was Switzerland and he's been living there for over 10 years and they wont expedite him to the u.s. It happens here. People seek asylum in the U.S because of oppressive regimes. They come here and are able to do what they couldn't do in their former country. To me this is no different.

Haha.

Not being allowed to own a handgun = UK being an oppressive regime ;)

You're doing exactly what you accused me of several threads higher.

Quoted from the Crown Prosecution Service website - http://www.cps.gov.u...ences/#firearms

Section 287 of the Criminal Justice Act 2003 inserted a new section 51A into the Firearms Act 1968 that introduced a mandatory minimum sentence for the offence of possession, purchase, acquisition, manufacture, transfer or sale of certain prohibited weapons on or after 22 January 2004.

The section requires that a Crown Court shall impose a minimum sentence of:

• 5 years' imprisonment if the offender is aged 18 or over when convicted; or,
  • 3 years detention under s. 91 PCC(S)A 2000 (long term detention) if the offender was under 18 but over 16 when the offence was committed.

So really, he got off lightly with the case being held in a military court. considering in the UK any sentence after 4 years you do the whole term. Anything under you do roughly one third of the sentence, as i can attest to

So the UK is now an oppressive regime because it has gun crime under control?

Because it disarms the people because it has camera's on every block because it bans animals based on breed are just a few things and to me that would oppress me I would have to give up my dog which I consider family I would have to give up my right to protection I would have to give up my knives all because im considered dangerous with them. But if you really want to know what I was talking about when I said oppressive regimes I meant places like China.