Nemo: The Linux Mint Team Forks Nautilus

Nemo: The Linux Mint Team Forks Nautilus

About+Nemo_024.png

After Cinnamon, Muffin and MDM, the Linux Mint team works on yet another fork: Nemo, a file manager forked from Nautilus 3.4.x.

Nautilus 3.5.x, which will become Nautilus 3.6 stable and will be a part of GNOME 3.6, has got a new toolbar and menubar, but there were also some features that were removed, like the dual pane feature, sidebar tree view and others. And this, it seems, wasn't what the Linux Mint developers want for their users, so they've decided to fork Nautilus 3.4.x, which still has these features.

nemo-file-manager.png

For now, there are only a couple of visible changes between Nautilus 3.4.2 and Nemo:

• the location entry is visible by default, but it doesn't replace the breadcrumbs - it's displayed under the breadcrumb, and the user can easily show/hide it from the View menu or by using the CTRL + L keyboard shortcut.
  • some minor changes have been made to the look and feel - for instance, the sidebar uses a white background

On the Nemo todo list are various fixes, make it easier for the user to define mime actions, improved look and feel and it's also possible for the view buttons to be re-added.

Since it seems the Mint team wants to make Nautilus more usable and prettier, I wonder why they haven't tried to port some, if not all the Nautilus elementary patches to Nautilus 3.4.x, since the goals are basically the same. But since the work on Nemo has started only two weeks ago, there's still a lot of work to be done so we'll see if the Nautilus elementary concepts will be integrated or if the Linux Mint team wants to go its own way.

The Nemo file manager source can be downloaded via GitHub.

Source: Web Upd8

More forks. just what linux needs.

I know right? Who wants more choices, ah that's right everyone that's not an iSheep

I'm an iSheep. Get that troll out of your ass and grow up.

As for wanting choice. Sure, but with all these forks, Linux is going nowhere. People keep saying they want Linux to grow and have the year of Linux, well that not happening if there isn't soon a general agreement about on main definitive distro/branch that set as the standard Linux distro that all the other ones branch from, but at least keep complete compatibility with.

• Like 3

More forks. just what linux needs.

huh? Don't think you know all too well what you're on about. As for the fork, good for the Mint guys. I'm guessing the fork under Mint team should be pretty well maintained and polished, can't wait to see what happens with it.

As for wanting choice. Sure, but with all these forks, Linux is going nowhere. People keep saying they want Linux to grow and have the year of Linux, well that not happening if there isn't soon a general agreement about on main definitive distro/branch that set as the standard Linux distro that all the other ones branch from, but at least keep complete compatibility with.

Agreed all this debate has created too many alternatives for the Linux platform to actually grow into its potential. Let the OS mature first and then people can argue about choice.

I know right? Who wants more choices, ah that's right everyone that's not an iSheep

You are correct! Choice is good until you have to many of them.

You're telling one of your jokes again aren't you! Come now, this is not the time for jokes and to boot, it's also the wrong forum! :boo:

I don't know why people are moaning at the mint team - moan at the GNOME team, they've (quite well I might add) managed to **** up on everything they've done.

GNOME 2 was outstanding, GNOME 3 was a huge downgrade, and slowly, they're dumbing down everything. When I read they're copying metro and having a tablet and desktop OS in one, I think that basically signalled the end of me ever using GNOME again in the future.

Fork away. Play around, tinker with it. All in true hacker/freedom fighter spirit. (Y)

The paradox of choice doesn't apply to free software.

Link:

Problem already solved. For maximum exposure, and application should enusre it works with Ubuntu using widely available dependencies.

What I don't get is why all those little teams of developers come together and create on kick ass *insert program here*

Having used both Gnome 3x and KDE 4.8.4 recently, KDE seems like the way forward as a desktop GUI. It's not perfect, but with some cooperation and a little more pollish, it could be all thats needed with the exception of some really light-weight GUI for low-power machines.

What I don't get is why all those little teams of developers come together and create on kick ass *insert program here*

Because it's open source. It's so ridiculously easy to fork that every time some developer thinks he can do better, he forks.

Also, a lot of independent developers think they are the only ones who get it right, discarding any critics. The GNOME developers are known for their "regardless of what users want, we know what's best for them" mentality.

Since most open source projects are done either by developers working in their spare time or by companies who do not have truckloads of money, it's not possible for them to test their theories about UX.

There are tons of people at Microsoft getting new ideas on what some software should look or feel like. But they have money, so they pay normal computer users to test their innovations, which means they are able to stop projects that do not work.

In Vista's early days, they actually wanted the window borders to be completely transparent (without blur) so that users could focus on the content. Had they not had testers who quickly told them it was terrible, they might have released it like that.

• Like 2