Money where your mouth is: Would you sit on MSFT stock on W8 Launch?

Put your money where your month is  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want to be sitting on Microsoft stock for the first 6 months after Windows 8 is released?

• Yes
    • No
    • God No
    • God yes

No, I wouldn't. I prefer to look at the long view, whilst I dislike a lot of the design choices made with Windows 8, it's not going to make Microsoft tank.

If that's the case (and I doubt it), why would the user choose Windows 8 in the first place? Win32-compatiblity is apparently unimportant. So wouldn't he be better served by an iOS-, Android- or even WinRT-based tablet?

tbh, yes O.O but writing emails and Word docs are also important, so getting a WinRT-based hybrid with a keyboard would be the best I can think of (and I do think users will go for those WinRT hybrids if anything for the price and the free Office)

In any case. I've already stated that Metro is in and of itself consistent. But Metro ≠ Windows 8. That's the whole point of the 'no compromise' tagline.

Ah, sorry, didn't see that, should've read over a bit more before posting :p

For the record, that would be quite an extraordinary 'achievement', don't you think: For Microsoft to get their user base ? at least as far as regular users are concerned ? to drop every single app they've been using so far the second they start using Windows 8. It's like moving them to a completely new operating system.

It would - if they were using that many apps to begin with O.O even in my extended family, the most unlikely app to be made Metro would be iTunes. the only other apps they use are really IE, Office, and the assorted Minesweeper

Yes, I have MSFT stock, so "my money is where my mouth is". The fact is Windows 8's success/failure will not make any significant difference in the stock price. Microsoft has so many different products, failure of one will not make a huge difference. Microsoft is a long-term investment that you cash in on dividends for the most part.

• Like 1

The OP seems to be forgetting that Windows 8 on a tablet/slate is the first time a full operating system has been designed for those platforms, it's not a glorified phone that's on there, it's a fully functioning operating system. That's huge for large companies. I still wish they had left the option to ignore the start screen in there for PCs and laptops though.

The OP seems to be forgetting that Windows 8 on a tablet/slate is the first time a full operating system has been designed for those platforms, it's not a glorified phone that's on there, it's a fully functioning operating system.

I think you're forgetting the Tablet PC. I'd also be interested to know what, in your mind, makes a 'fully functioning operating system' anyway?

I think you're forgetting the Tablet PC. I'd also be interested to know what, in your mind, makes a 'fully functioning operating system' anyway?

*que the people who say tablet pc wasn't a tablet os even though that's what it was designed for originally*

The OP seems to be forgetting that Windows 8 on a tablet/slate is the first time a full operating system has been designed for those platforms, it's not a glorified phone that's on there, it's a fully functioning operating system. That's huge for large companies. I still wish they had left the option to ignore the start screen in there for PCs and laptops though.

As someone who has used / uses "Windows 8 x86" on a tablet. The tablet (Metro UI) section was pretty good. But once you get back to the desktop side of things, it works, but a laptop with a mouse and (real sturdy)keyboard is far more productive.

Don't get be wrong, the navigation of the desktop UI was also pretty good with a touch bad, better than even using the touchpad on a laptop in my opinion, but it's when you start using desktop applications or looking something up online with the desktop version of the browser , It feels like you are on an interstate going 80mph when all of the sudden you hit road construction and get dropped down to 30mpr

You just gives you this feeling of frustration. Like "I really wish I was on an actual laptop right now".

If these tablets can be docked and can be turned into a full laptop, then ok might be cool. But if all they give you is a cover that when flipped over gives you a plastic keyboard, eh. might not be so great. Tablets which give you neither of those 2, I can' t see anyone choosing to use on the desktop side of things instead of a laptop.

IF MSFT stock were only affected by their OS products, then no.

Seeing as I have a lot of doubts about the corporate take-up of Win8, then no.

If I were playing the long-game, sure!

And just to show this thread doesn't really make sense, Microsoft's highest stock price in the last decade was after Vista's launch, and we all know how much everyone loved Vista :rofl:.

I think that's when Microsoft didn't design the Windows UI for touchscreens. The tablet functionality wasn't fully baked in.

I've owned Microsoft stock since Vista's Service Pack 1 - if anything, I'll be buying more (not less) when Windows 8 becomes available in retail, and especially if it dips in price.

Microsoft has this rather annoying habit (for a company much despised and reviled) of not staying down when it gets knocked down. No, it's not Apple, or Google - it just has this rather nasty habit of confounding its adversaries.

For that reason, Microsoft is THE company most like the United States.