Game devs hating Windows 8?

Start screen aside (love it or hate it, it's personal preference), Windows 8 is superior to 7 in many ways. From OS speed, resource usage, task manager enhancements, copy/move/delete dialog improvements, etc. Saying it's "not good enough" is just pure FUD. If you have half a braincell you can avoid metro entirely if you want, so that's a non-issue.

Yeah this is what I thought. Leaving aside any criticism, if this was a new car model it doesn't have enough new features to be very tempting. WIndows 7 is already fast and good on resources, the other bits like task manager and file transfer are not very notable. You really have to be a metro fan to justify upgrading.

Yeah this is what I thought. Leaving aside any criticism, if this was a new car model it doesn't have enough new features to be very tempting. WIndows 7 is already fast and good on resources, the other bits like task manager and file transfer are not very notable. You really have to be a metro fan to justify upgrading.

It's what I called in my earlier thread (The Real Reason Behind the FUD About Windows 8) *excuse-hunting*. Despite better support for existing (not new) applications - not to mention existing hardware - suddenly that's not enough? What in Ned *is* enough?

1. Support for new types of applications and games - check; that's part of the driver behind WinRT.

2. Better keyboard support - check. (If anything, Windows 8 has better keyboard support than Windows 7 - or any Windows OS since Windows 2000 Professional - which is rather embarrassing.)

3. Better touch support - check. (Windows 7 had rudimentary touch support; Windows 8 is miles above that - not even counting the StartScreen.)

Seriously - what would be enough?

WinRT.

WinRT will make them get new dev tools, and currently devs using WinRT must publish through the store, as far as I know you can't publish elsewhere yet. If this is true I suspect it's because the installer code isn't ready yet, considering it's new tech.

Other than that from what I understand the Start Screen frustrates devs because when you install Visual Studio it puts around 40 icons right in there.

I'm sure there are other reasons of course. It's the most disruptive (to the user, not applications) OS in a while and Win7 is still fantastic.

It depends on which version of VS. I installed VS 2012 RC, and it puts I believe at most 5 icons. It's pretty easy to remove the non-essential ones from the start screen. I find Windows 8, from the desktop, to be almost exactly like that of Windows 7 except better performing.

They hate on Win 8 because they know better why its a cluster technically than we do ...all you really need to do is look at metro on a laptop or a desktop though and know this O/S is horse **** :)

all of Carmack's games work perfect on linux ...once the rest of the devs start embracing linux a bit more MS is through...its been a long time coming ..this attempt to take on apple at the expense of their own customer base is going to cost them dearly... this whole metro thjng has been solely for the purpose of having their own brand slate pc ..which also has little to no chance of unseating apple in that space...meanwhile they will be alienating a very large percent of their current customers....nice

You're funny :rolleyes:

I think it has to do with the introduction of the Windows Store that comes with Windows 8.

It is a direct competition to Valve's Steam system, because it also delivers games directly to Windows users. But with the Windows Store, Microsoft wants to make some money. So if Valve wanted to distribute games through that store as well, they would have much lower margins, because otherwise the games would be too expensive for people.

On a Windows RT tablet the Windows Store will be the only way to purchase and download games. Therefore Valve and other game companies don't have a choice but to use the Store if they want to support those tablets.

But I don't think Linux is the answer for that!

Would you switch from Windows to Linux, just because some game companies stop producing for Windows and switch to Linux? No, you'd probably just use the Playstation or XBox you most likely already have. Why use a Linux machine that is too complicated to handle as a gaming platform, when you could just use a console that was made for this kind of thing and is very easy to use?

Maybe it's just me, but I think the Windows Store would make their games MORE accessible to the consumers. Plus, they can list desktop-based games and applications in the Windows Store WITHOUT paying MS the 30% cut. The 30% cut is only for metro apps. So I find it confusing because:

1. Windows 8 and Windows Store has NO impact to the desktop-based games and applications.

2. The new Windows Store, IMO, will enable game developers a much larger exposure.

3. The new Windows Store allows desktop-based apps and games to be listed, and they don't incur the 30% fee.

It's very strange, but I think Windows 8 and Windows Store actually make it more compelling for the developers. Plus, the 30% drops to 20% after $25,000 in revenue.

Well they didn't put words in his mouth, he really did say that! Though he did go on to explain his answer.

small point, but the headlines are misleading; in the notch example saying in the headline that he 'bashed' windows 8 is a bit more than an overstatement O.O and many of the articles just casually leave out everything except the negative ;D

So write Win32 games instead. They still work just fine; they just won't work in WindowsRT. And, just for your info, Win32 games *still* work in Windows 8.

Writing WinRT apps/games is, in fact, no different approach-wise than writing apps/games for iOS or Android - you're still forced to pass through specific portals (either the Android Market or Amazon AppStore for Android, or the iOS AppStore for iOS), what's all the fuss *really* about?

I know that. They know that. But as time goes on WinRT will be the preferred platform by consumers and developers, so they will have to learn it.

lol,devs apparently love the ios store, because well,they can make little ****ty games and sell them for $5, but now when its time for windows, they start spewing their bull****, because they know they can no longer get away with charging $70 a game. do you really think that valve guy is really going to rally the general public to switch to linux? are these guys really that out of touch with reality? if you ask me, they shot themselves in the foot. and if they dont want to adapt, then they are the ones losing.

the consumer will ultimately choose what they want. if these guys dont want to adapt, they are the ones losing.

This is stupid, I don't see the problem at all. Apple as an App Store, Google has an App Store but you don't hear dev's bitching about them...

I know that. They know that. But as time goes on WinRT will be the preferred platform by consumers and developers, so they will have to learn it.

Big name games like Halo, Crysis, Battlefield, COD, etc... aren't going to be played on a tablet. That's what a desktop gaming rig is for, and Windows 8 work perfectly with these games.

Big name games like Halo, Crysis, Battlefield, COD, etc... aren't going to be played on a tablet. That's what a desktop gaming rig is for, and Windows 8 work perfectly with these games.

I said nothing about tablets. WinRT is shorthand for Windows Runtime. http://en.wikipedia....Windows_Runtime

And I was talking about games past the next few years, anyway. I don't expect every dev to right up and switch to WinRT when only Win8 supports it.