Video: Reimagined Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Mahjong in Windows 8

win8 games

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:49

This video demos the new and re-imagined classic Windows games in Windows 8. Some of these games have been present in Windows for two decades at the time of this recording! With Windows 8, the solitaire card games, minesweeper, and mahjong are rebuilt for a more social and connected world. The games integrates with xbox live, includes xbox achievements, features leaderboards, stats, and even daily challenges. Oh, let's not forget new sound effects and vastly improved graphics and animations!

#2 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 05 August 2012 - 13:00

So, where'd you get the release version, hmmm? It's not legally available anywhere yet...

#3 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 August 2012 - 13:05

So, where'd you get the release version, hmmm? It's not legally available anywhere yet...

Floating Fat Man - there have been leaks of the RTM bits (so far, they are all VL versions) - it's even been posted in Neowin's own news section.

What manner of post was that? Irony, sarcasm, or did you simply skip past the news section?

#4 OP Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 05 August 2012 - 13:09

It is legally available to many, many Microsoft partners (not just OEMs). Paul Thurrott, for example, has a legal copy of Windows 8 RTM because he is Writing a book on Windows. It is, however, not publicly available to consumers or MSDN, TechNet, or Dreamspark subscribers...yet. ;)

#5 +TCLN Ryster

TCLN Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 13:16

These look very impressive. A bit sluggish in places, but I imagine that's because the OP is using a VM to run their leaked copy of Win8 on.

Oh and those who were fretting about the lack of Spider Solitaire can now rest easy :)

Edit... and I hope the OP has a legitimately obtained copy (not activating it doesn't make it not illegal) because Microsoft now has their XBL Gamer Tag ;-)

It is legally available to many, many Microsoft partners (not just OEMs). Paul Thurrott, for example, has a legal copy of Windows 8 RTM because he is Writing a book on Windows. It is, however, not publicly available to consumers or MSDN, TechNet, or Dreamspark subscribers...yet. ;)

Sure it's legally available to many, but is it legally available to you? :)

#6 OP Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 05 August 2012 - 13:22

These look very impressive. A bit sluggish in places, but I imagine that's because the maker of the video is using a VM to run their leaked copy of Win8 on.

Oh and those who were fretting about the lack of Spider Solitaire can now rest easy :)

Edit... and I hope the maker of the video has a legit copy (not activating it doesn't make it not illegal) because Microsoft now has their XBL Gamer Tag ;-)

The lag is not because of VM but because of the fact that my PC cannot screen record at full frames per second, especially not games. In actuality, the experience is lag free. When I am using Windows sans screen recording, it's fast and fluid.

Secondly, I will not comment on how I obtained the RTM build.

#7 +TCLN Ryster

TCLN Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 13:26

The lag is not because of VM but because of the fact that my PC cannot screen record at full frames per second, especially not games. In actuality, the experience is lag free. When I am using Windows sans screen recording, it's fast and fluid.

Good to know.

Lol. So an unlicensed (ie. illegal) copy then? ;-)

#8 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 August 2012 - 13:27

I think don't think he is allowed post links on neowin.

#9 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

• Phone: I need a new one. Gibe moni plos

Posted 05 August 2012 - 13:28

I still prefer the Windows 3.* versions without the fancy effects and social bullcrap.

#10 grayscale

grayscale

Neowinian

Posted 05 August 2012 - 13:34

I really like the effort you put on giving us who didn't/haven't downloaded the rtm leak a preview of what's in the RTM, Nazmus.

#11 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 05 August 2012 - 13:44

Floating Fat Man - there have been leaks of the RTM bits (so far, they are all VL versions) - it's even been posted in Neowin's own news section.

What manner of post was that? Irony, sarcasm, or did you simply skip past the news section?

I'm well aware of that, actually. Try thinking a little and you might discern my point.

Of course you won't.

#12 BetaAddict

BetaAddict

Uncomplicating the complicated

• Phone: MotoX, Nexus 7, Android 4.4

Posted 05 August 2012 - 14:12

I'm well aware of that, actually. Try thinking a little and you might discern my point.

Of course you won't.

Let's not turn this into a debate on the ethics/morality of downloading a leaked copy of a software that will be publically available through certain channels beginning August 15, and can be legally activated when keys become available. If this bothers you, simply ignore the hundreds of members on this forum who have downloaded it and wait until Win8 is available to you through official/retail channels. Do as you see fit, and let others do as they see fit.

The OP started this thread to post a nice video highlighting the changes made to come of the basic games in Windows. Whether you have a leaked copy or an legit copy in two weeks, that will not change the validity of the OP's post, as the changes to the games will be the same.

So back on topic... MS finally did these classics some justice. Will have to take it for a spin.

#13 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 05 August 2012 - 14:19

Seems kind of overkill.. I play those games because there is no flash, no full screen, small little windows..

#14 grayscale

grayscale

Neowinian

Posted 05 August 2012 - 14:32

Seems kind of overkill.. I play those games because there is no flash, no full screen, small little windows..

This. What have they done to Minesweeper? :( Those kiddie sounds T.T

#15 Tha Bloo Monkee

Tha Bloo Monkee

Da Ba Dee Da Ba Die

Posted 05 August 2012 - 14:59

What point? The point where you attempt to snoop into other people's business? Why do you care about where it was obtained? :s