Windows 8 is the first OS that made me downgrade

Also can you tell me where Windows File History explains it is a backup solution? On my left Explorer window I can't even see a History button and on the right once I've found the button (Home -> History) it doesn't even explain what the feature is or does.

q8w97.jpg

Search for File History in Control Panel, or click the link to set up File History on the window you already have open. And yes, Microsoft does need top promote these features better, however, Microsoft did detail file history on their blog, however the link no longer works.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/07/10/protecting-user-files-with-file-history.aspx

When Time Machine is turned off and you plug in an external drive OS X will ask you to use that drive to backup to. I have no idea if Windows does that.

It does.

post-62693-0-64510700-1344272355.png

Search for File History in Control Panel, or click the link to set up File History on the window you already have open. And yes, Microsoft does need top promote these features better, however, Microsoft did detail file history on their blog, however the link no longer works.

http://blogs.msdn.co...le-history.aspx

Link works alright here.

You've been using WIndows for 20 years and you dont know Alt+Tab or Win+Tab?

And then there are those fancy mice with more than just two buttons where you can map keyboard shortcuts & mouse buttons to do all kinds of crazy things.

Yes, Windows 8 is pretty much the first new Windows UI since Windows 95, but then again if you haven't figured out how to use alt+tab (which has been around for ever) or WinKey + typing to search (Which as been around since Vista), then I suppose you can either learn it or just stick with Windows 7.

While I'm not looking forward to re-wiring how I do somethings in Windows, I AM looking forward to using Hyper-V on my workstation.

Actually, Windows 7 includes PS 2.0, so I believe it was the first.

But let me rephrase. On the server side, it's moving towards dominance. Take Exchange 2010 for example: PS the the back-end running the commands, in fact, there are some commands in Exchange that you can't run via GUI and must use PS. I know that Desktops are slow to adopt it. I'm no where near the scripter I should be; but I was mainly pointing out to the previous person that he/she isn't too far from the truth with the MS/DOS days if you look at the surge of command-line abilities.

Again, it's largely due to the admins (especially remote admins) - however, it was available before Vista (and for XP at that - in fact, it still is as a post-SP3 optional update; it would be post-SP2 for XP64, which has no SP3). Most desktop users (even for 7) would have cared less. If you take a look at the documentation for the Windows 8 Previews, even there, some PS-exclusive scripting shows up, and it's one thing I'll be digging further into with these leaks.

all i know i installed it on my

netbook its hella fast and for xbox users theres tons of us it will rock even more

what so differnt cant get use to icons u an appke fan same bs differnt maker use it like it or stick with 7 stop bitching and this big debate can be over and for all the million who hate watch it will do grate and every one will eat there words .. thats my 2 cents

Sorry I'm not using Metro.

You should add that funny little piece of information in the future when you're complaining about missing features, things you can't find, too few advancements and other random stuff because it explains a lot.

But if Windows 9's UI is still startscreen/tile based, I think that's going to be just as hard sell as Windows 8.

to be honest i hope microsoft "wake up" and rectify this in windows 9. metro only belongs on a touchscreen.

I'm probably in the minority but skipped Vista and 7 because it lacked customization. It was as if they wanted the OS to be a media hub, while completely neglecting anyone who wanted to run a barebones system. I'm excited for Windows 8 because atleast they're acknowledging that desire and changing the OS to match, rather than continuing under the guise of "It's all the same, just better (and you can do less)."

You should add that funny little piece of information in the future when you're complaining about missing features, things you can't find, too few advancements and other random stuff because it explains a lot.

See this is my point. Everyone who is Pro-Metro on here keeps saying to us if you don't like Metro then don't use it, just stay on the desktop but if you want to use Microsofts iTunes competitor you HAVE to use Metro. In my original post I said how Microsoft focused too much on Metro and beyond that there isn't many new features and I'm right there isn't. I don't consider XBOX Music and XBOX Video inside Metro competitors to iTunes because iTunes is a proper desktop piece of software and those things are Tablet wares closer to the iTunes Music Store on an iPad. Devoid of features and overly simplified for a touch user interface.

See this is my point. Everyone who is Pro-Metro on here keeps saying to us if you don't like Metro then don't use it, just stay on the desktop but if you want to use Microsofts iTunes competitor you HAVE to use Metro. In my original post I said how Microsoft focused too much on Metro and beyond that there isn't many new features and I'm right there isn't. I don't consider XBOX Music and XBOX Video inside Metro competitors to iTunes because iTunes is a proper desktop piece of software and those things are Tablet wares closer to the iTunes Music Store on an iPad. Devoid of features and overly simplified for a touch user interface.

Huh? What of Zune? That still works.

Huh? What of Zune? That still works.

Is Zune included with Windows 8? Is it a Windows 8 exclusive feature? Why would I upgrade to Windows 8 to run Zune when I can just run that on Windows 7? Also does Zune allow you to buy TV Shows? - Because correct me if I'm wrong - I don't think it does. I believe it supports Movies and Music only.

Also unfortunately there is no Zune client for Mac. So although I can use iTunes on my PC or Mac to enjoy my purchased media I can't do the same if I have a Zune Pass.

It does.

It's something, but worded very poorly: "Choose what to do with removable drives." - Notice how it's plural? Users may be under the impression that selecting "Configuring this drive for backup" will make it the default for all removable drives. From external drives to SDHC cards, from iPods to USB sticks. I can imagine people immediately hitting "Take no action" and then forget all about it. The cycle simply repeats next time around.

OS X on the other hand is crystal clear it only wants to use the external drive you just connected for Time Machine. It also gives you a nice clear explanation of what the feature does.

Is Zune included with Windows 8? Is it a Windows 8 exclusive feature? Why would I upgrade to Windows 8 to run Zune when I can just run that on Windows 7? Also does Zune allow you to buy TV Shows? - Because correct me if I'm wrong - I don't think it does. I believe it supports Movies and Music only.

Also unfortunately there is no Zune client for Mac. So although I can use iTunes on my PC or Mac to enjoy my purchased media I can't do the same if I have a Zune Pass.

It's not really difficult to check this on your own http://social.zune.net/tv

The support for different platforms is a strawman. Does iTunes support store bought video playback on Xbox 360? PS3? Android tablets/phones? DLNA playback?

If you really cared about cross platform stuff, you'd be buying from Amazon not iTunes ;)

It's not really difficult to check this on your own http://social.zune.net/tv

The support for different platforms is a strawman. Does iTunes support store bought video playback on Xbox 360? PS3? Android tablets/phones? DLNA playback?

If you really cared about cross platform stuff, you'd be buying from Amazon not iTunes ;)

Actually I checked their website before I made my post and saw no mention of TV, but after checking your link I guess it doesn't support TV in my region and that is why the website made no mention of it. And I don't own a 360, PS3 or Android handset so I don't need any of that.

tRzhW.png

It's something, but worded very poorly: "Choose what to do with removable drives." - Notice how it's plural? Users may be under the impression that selecting "Configuring this drive for backup" will make it the default for all removable drives. From external drives to SDHC cards, from iPods to USB sticks. I can imagine people immediately hitting "Take no action" and then forget all about it. The cycle simply repeats next time around.

OS X on the other hand is crystal clear it only wants to use the external drive you just connected for Time Machine. It also gives you a nice clear explanation of what the feature does.

User may also think that configuring a drive with Time Machine may take that drive back in time and lose all new data? Yes, at worse it is a grammar problem(and might be fixed in RTM?) and at best most users won't even notice it. It also shows the name of the drive, which I removed and the drive letter clearly. There is a step prior to this which I skipped (Choose what happens with drive or something like that).

The original point was lack of such feature in Windows and I was just replying that it actually has it and is apparently improved. The marketing message and description is another story. It is something Microsoft was never good at and is particularly bad in Windows most of the times. It also helps to realize that Windows 8 marketing hasn't begun yet.

Apple's brilliant marketing didn't help the few people I know realize that they can directly switch apps without going to home screen. This anecdotal evidence I agree but it happens everywhere and not just in Windows or Microsoft product (even with questionable user education).

Actually I checked their website before I made my post and saw no mention of TV, but after checking your link I guess it doesn't support TV in my region and that is why the website made no mention of it. And I don't own a 360, PS3 or Android handset so I don't need any of that.

If all you do is in live in Apple's ecosystem, then Windows 8 (or rather non-Apple stuff such as Amazon) is clearly not for you. Why even bother trying?

User may also think that configuring a drive with Time Machine may take that drive back in time and lose all new data?

No.

It also gives you a nice clear explanation of what the feature does.

User may also think that configuring a drive with Time Machine may take that drive back in time and lose all new data? Yes, at worse it is a grammar problem(and might be fixed in RTM?) and at best most users won't even notice it. It also shows the name of the drive, which I removed and the drive letter clearly. There is a step prior to this which I skipped (Choose what happens with drive or something like that).

So all in all it isn't as clear and straightforward as Time Machine. The File History icon being Metro in one place and Windows Vista/7 styled in another doesn't exactly help either to make it more identifiable.

If all you do is in live in Apple's ecosystem, then Windows 8 (or rather non-Apple stuff such as Amazon) is clearly not for you. Why even bother trying?

Because Apples desktop hardware is crap? The Mac Pro hasn't been upgraded in years and is several architectures out of date. I rely on Windows to give me an Apple class experience on desktop hardware. Plus I'm a gamer among other things and I need a windows environment for that because Apples game ecosystem isn't at the level of Windows yet. Not to mention no SLI or Crossfire support under OS X.

I've always wondered why anyone would -ever- install the abortion that is the Windows version of iTunes. I'd put an axe through my PC before I installed that abomination; it'd work better afterwards. :p

I've always wondered why anyone would -ever- install the abortion that is the Windows version of iTunes. I'd put an axe through my PC before I installed that abomination; it'd work better afterwards. :p

I know right? Would be nice if Microsoft stepped up and made something that did everything iTunes can do while being written better for Windows. iTunes on Windows isn't anywhere near the refinement of the OS X version it feels clumsy and slow, poorly written.

I've always wondered why anyone would -ever- install the abortion that is the Windows version of iTunes.

Same reason why anyone would install the abomination that is Microsoft Office for Mac. You'll love iTunes' performance on Windows after working with Office for Mac for any extended period of time.

No.

So all in all it isn't as clear and straightforward as Time Machine. The File History icon being Metro in one place and Windows Vista/7 styled in another doesn't exactly help either to make it more identifiable.

This is the next step...

File History is not part of "Metro" UI or at least I haven't seen any other such UI. There is no file management in Metro UI AFAIK.

I have criticized this whole File history UI in the past and I am not really keen on current design but all the pieces you mention are there. I also didn't like the childish interface in the first Time Machine, I haven't seen latest to know if they have improved it.

post-62693-0-84409200-1344277493.jpg

You tell me...

Same reason why anyone would install the abomination that is Microsoft Office for Mac. You'll love iTunes' performance on Windows after working with Office for Mac for any extended period of time.

It's cross compiled? Because iTunes is (despite Apple using that as a reason why Flash apps are evil and won't ever be allowed in iOS).

It really annoys me that iTunes is so crap. It has features that I actually -want-, but I flatly refuse to screw over my system for it.