Windows 8 is the first OS that made me downgrade

As much as I tried to get used to Win 8, there is no way I'll go back to it. No those fake start buttons are crap. Yes they are. Just when you think Microsoft finally got it right with Win 7, someone in their R&D dept. decided that their main source of revenue needed major change. I understand the whole idea of integrating all MS devices together and trying to take over the world with a unified OS but when you force ridiculous **** down people's throat they go elsewhere. If Windows 8 becomes a requirement to run certain **** I'll switch to Ubuntu (or another Debian distro) in a heartbeat. I've been using Windows since 3.1 and never have I seen such a stupid decision since WinME. F*** *** MS.

We share the same views on MS wanting to cash on the tablet revenues. If you don't feel comfortable switching to Linux then don't, you can use Windows 7 like I'm doing. I'm quite comfortable with it and have no inclination to upgrade.

It's good at least some users of Windows don't blindly follow marketing like Apple's users with its OS upgrades.

<snipped> There is more out there then some silly OS. If you don't like 8 don't use it just continue on with 7.

What is it that people think that MS should have talked to them first before coming up with a new OS.

And, no I am not going to upgrade to 8; I am happy with 7.

Edited by Calum
There is no need for such rudeness.
  • Like 2

Wow.. it is terrible.. using it now the OEM version and all I can say it's absolutely terrible. For someone who has been using Windows for 20 years now I can't find how to switch between freakin' browser windows. The whole thing is a bigger mess than I thought. How in the hell will regular users understand this is completely beyond me.

Wow.. it is terrible.. using it now the OEM version and all I can say it's absolutely terrible. For someone who has been using Windows for 20 years now I can't find how to switch between freakin' browser windows. The whole thing is a bigger mess than I thought. How in the hell will regular users understand this is completely beyond me.

The desktop portion of Windows 8 works just the same as Windows 7. So, what are you saying?

As much as I tried to get used to Win 8, there is no way I'll go back to it. No those fake start buttons are crap. Yes they are. Just when you think Microsoft finally got it right with Win 7, someone in their R&D dept. decided that their main source of revenue needed major change. I understand the whole idea of integrating all MS devices together and trying to take over the world with a unified OS but when you force ridiculous **** down people's throat they go elsewhere. If Windows 8 becomes a requirement to run certain **** I'll switch to Ubuntu (or another Debian distro) in a heartbeat. I've been using Windows since 3.1 and never have I seen such a stupid decision since WinME. F*** *** MS.

Amen to this !

• Like 1

Well more than likely windows 8 will be a major flop and microsoft wll be forced to make changes. I cannot imagine a business user with windows 8. It looks like something a kid would be using.

• Like 3

I use Win8 RC as a Daily OS on my Laptop... Zero issues... and I find some things easier to do... while, yes, some are a bit more time consuming... But not enough for me not to want to upgrade. It just takes time, and the desire to appreciate changes. Especially changes that are this significant.

Zero reasons to upgrade... I mean ZERO.. If I wanted to make my life more complicated there are other ways I can do it... this Frankenstein of an OS is a disaster. Sticking to Windows 7. It's going to be hilarious seeing people struggle with this garbage.

Zero reasons to upgrade... I mean ZERO.. If I wanted to make my life more complicated there are other ways I can do it... this Frankenstein of an OS is a disaster. Sticking to Windows 7. It's going to be hilarious seeing people struggle with this garbage.

Businesses aren't going to upgrade to it that's for sure.

I hope it flops hard and MS loses money so they can wakeup and come back to reality.

Well more than likely windows 8 will be a major flop and microsoft wll be forced to make changes. I cannot imagine a business user with windows 8. It looks like something a kid would be using.

Even the "classic" desktop interface is ugly as sh**. It's completely counter-productive. Having several windows overlapping and you have a mess. The fact that you can't change the color of title bars font to white when you want to create a more contrast darker borders around windows is retarded. Customization on Windows was going in the direction of less and less but now we are at the point where you either have to work with ass ugly system and you can't customize anything.

Terrible.

My dad just happens to be the head janitor at Microsoft and he told me that Windows 9 is actually going to be released the same day as Windows 8 and have the UI of Windows 3.11, so those who don't like Win8 have another option.

And I'll tell you.. I installed Windows 8 Professional x64 OEM and I'm already doing a clean USB format with Windows 7. Windows 7 is fantastic. This one is total miss. Truly makes me ask, does ANYONE at Microsoft have ANY FREAKING taste at all.

They should have really made all the previous wishlists for true desktop system and really make it awesome and beautiful and just keep Metro for tablets and stuff.

I think Metro style interface on Xbox, mobile and tablets works great. But to push desktop to this is pretty poor judgment and design decision. Even classic desktop view looks pretty bad. Aero Theme looks like piece of art compared to this.

i dont think ill go back to 7, i never used the start menu anways and from what ive been doing i sit mostly on the desktop and dont use metro much at all its not in my way just wish they would sell keys allready damnit

I agree no way will business going to upgrade to this. The OS will be great on tablets and that is about it. I am running it because I have to know how it ins and outs to support my clients. I found that in the RTM they released, the backup program shows Windows 7 File recovery too, not sure if they intended this or not. If not hah pretty bad mistake to forget to change the backup name to Windows 8 File Recovery.

I found that in the RTM they released, the backup program shows Windows 7 File recovery too, not sure if they intended this or not. If not hah pretty bad mistake to forget to change the backup name to Windows 8 File Recovery.

Really?! Bloody HELL!! They focused so much on that Metro crap and how to p*** people off that they forgot QC!

• Like 1

They should have really made all the previous wishlists for true desktop system and really make it awesome and beautiful and just keep Metro for tablets and stuff.

That's something I don't get it. Why would they force this tablet UI on desktop users...it makes no sense. They could have made metro optional.

• Like 1

I've been saying it since Metro was introduced... "Welcome to Windows Millennium edition part 2". Windows 8 will be the biggest flop on desktop computing since ME.

On tablets it works great, but on the desktop with a mouse and keyboard, it absolutely sucks. Microsoft can only rectify this by releasing a non-metro version with 8's underlying enhancements to explorer and other things.

i will bet my Subscriber2 on it.

• Like 3

I tried the RTM yesterday evening and I have to say this is the worst thing Microsoft have ever done by far. There is no reason at all for me to upgrade to this. I mean really what new features are there? A new UI on Explorer? Task Manager? Metro? Is that all? This OS is a total joke.

This OS feels like Microsoft throwing us under the bus (pre-existing users of Windows) to try and get in to the tablet market. Leveraging their desktop monopoly to give developers incentive to make Metro apps because they know that without that large desktop market share developers will find it difficult to find reasons to invest in making Metro apps. Why develop for a tablet that will only capture 1 maybe 2% of the market?

And well on the desktop it just sucks. It doesn't work man, giant UI buttons, 2D boxes, removal of the start menu. We use keyboards and mice on our desktops not fat fingers. This whole UI just doesn't work and it feels unfinished, half baked, confused about what it is. The fact it has two separate environments for a start just adds an extra layer of complexity to an already confused operating system.

I really fail to understand how Microsoft ever thought this was a good idea. I mean really.. who is running things over there?

"Hey guys I got a great idea, let's take the UI that hasn't got even garnered 2% share on mobile after a year in the market and put it on our main Windows product! Nothing could go wrong with that! - Also lets spend practically all our time porting that UI over and offer almost no other new features - No Time Machine, iTunes or iCloud competitor, no one needs those anyways what they need is giant boxes and an extra toolbox in Explorer!"

I really fail to understand how Microsoft ever thought this was a good idea. I mean really.. who is running things over there?
The same clowns who sunk $6 billion into buying an advertising company only to make a complete loss on it?

Microsoft has been sliding downhill ever since Ballmer took over for Gates. The difference is that Gates is an engineer who actually understands technology and has a vision. Most importantly, he understood software. Ballmer's no Gates.